Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV decal: colors, choice and strategy for HOV lane usage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I submitted my application by mail around 20th December and received my red stickers on January 23rd. I am glad that I got the red one which doesn't look bad on my red model 3. I saw a purple sticker on a black Tesla at a supercharger few days ago and that looks just horrible.

• Informative
Reactions: remlemasi
Yesterday, I received my “The horror. The horror...” purple/lilac stickers.
I have a red car.
And now, I am almost considering trading them with someone that has unused red ones. Wonder how much trouble that could cause if I ever get stopped by the fuzz.

My guess is that it would be highly unlikely to be pulled over if you were displaying the red decals which are good until Jan 1, 2022. However, if you were pulled over for something else and it was discovered that those decals were not issued to you then "In California, if you violate California Vehicle Code Section 21655.5 by driving illegally in the carpool lane, you face expensive fines. Your punishment will be a minimum fine of $481, including fees and penalty assessments"

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and 127.0.0.0
I am pretty sure CA will extend the red decal validity beyond 1/1/2022. We just sold a Prius plug-in hybrid last month.We purchased that back on 2013 and that had a green decal. Expiry date of green decal was extended twice. On January 1, 2019, 223,654 green decals expired so there are lot less cars on the HOV lanes now.

I am glad that I got the red one which doesn't look bad on my red model 3. I saw a purple sticker on a black Tesla at a supercharger few days ago and that looks just horrible.

I will take the ugly color sticker if it means I can use the HOV lane one extra year. Based on what happened with the White stickers not being extended if the car was bought before 2017, I'm not expecting any of these stickers to be extended beyond their current expiration date.

Reactions: Doutt
I will take the ugly color sticker if it means I can use the HOV lane one extra year. Based on what happened with the White stickers not being extended if the car was bought before 2017, I'm not expecting any of these stickers to be extended beyond their current expiration date.
That's a safe assumption. People aren't acknowledging that the state is trying to reduce the number of cars in HOV lanes.

I tried searching the forum, but I recall a post about using strips of PPF to use as underneath the HOV sticker when applying to the bumpers. I am planning to get a front PPF, so I am assuming I can safely put the HOV sticker on the front bumper without damaging the paint. For the rear bumper, what's the recommendation? Can I buy some small strips of PPF to cut-out in the shape of the HOV sticker?

I tried searching the forum, but I recall a post about using strips of PPF to use as underneath the HOV sticker when applying to the bumpers. I am planning to get a front PPF, so I am assuming I can safely put the HOV sticker on the front bumper without damaging the paint. For the rear bumper, what's the recommendation? Can I buy some small strips of PPF to cut-out in the shape of the HOV sticker?

This is what I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZYSXZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It worked very well for me.

Reactions: whydontwe