TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

caveat emptor

Discussion in 'CarbonOne Industries - Buyer Beware' started by doug, Oct 12, 2011.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Any reason not to do Tesla parts? Seems like you've got a ready made market.

2. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Perhaps he's not going to make the same mistakes as John and take in more orders than he can handle? If business is that good, time to raise prices! :D

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?260737-...glad-to-be-here.

http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28143

http://fiskerbuzz.com/forums/Thread-Good-to-be-here

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showthread.php?t=52906

No comment......

4. Tech26

Tech26 Member

Thanks for posting that up Nigel. I've dealt with carbon fiber scammers on the Toyota Supra forums before. I've always wondered if all the time they spend posting and trying to clear their name so they can get more "business" is worth it. It seems to me that if they had spent the time making parts instead they could have actually had a real and sucessful business. *sighs* I just wish they would use the money they do get to see a psychiatrist and figure out why they are pathological liars.

5. FiberMatt

FiberMatt Member

#45 FiberMatt, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    Tech26... I would hope that comment was not directed at me. You fail to realize that online sales makes up 80% of my business. I would appreciate you doing your homework before sending money to a company.

I will not spend any more time defending my product. Please come to Chicago and shake my hand before you pass judgement on someone else. You have no idea how i spend my days.

I would also hope Tech26 does not represent the good people on this Tesla Forum. Have a nice day.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This is like reality TV=)
    I paid $600 more than I was quoted for door sill from CarbonOne last year (never placed my order) but Tesla is making them so I know they'll get delivered at least.

7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Enough people have given up on John now that I feel OK telling my CarbonOne story.

After reading here about people receiving parts they were happy with, I paid in full up front for door sills, handle pulls, and exterior air vents. After a posted warning from another TMC member I started contacting John for status. After he failed to live up to any of his commitments or promises, I initiated a reverse charge through PayPal and then also with my credit card company - both with only days to spare. That got me some attention from John, but still no parts. I sent him pre-paid UPS labels for shipping parts to me. I got my refund from the credit card company.

A while later he sent me door sills. I actually video taped myself opening the box, not knowing what to expect. Both sills have some small flaws, but one has an obvious flaw in a very visible place. Figuring I had received one decent sill I sent John a check for a bit more than half. He said he'd use that money to make me a replacement sill and get it to me in 2 weeks. He has not responded to my emails or phone calls since I sent him the check.

Note that I got the door sills out of sequence from others here. I believe that's because John knew that by sending me them, I'd probably send him some money, whereas if he filled an already paid for order he wouldn't get any additional money.

John has repeatedly lied to me. I recommend that everyone steer clear of him for any business dealings no matter where he lives.

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

9. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

Some good news -- John is packed up and on the way to Florida now.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Given what's happened in the past, I have a difficult time being optimistic about this. However, I sincerely hope things work out for all those waiting for parts and/or refunds.

11. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Well - did we get any feedbacks of successful deliveries since that last post (which is 4+ moths old...). Or is John still on his way to Florida (maybe he took a Leaf to move...)?

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Funnily enough, I was wondering this on Sunday, too. It's all gone quiet.

13. donauker

donauker Member

My order was paid in full over 13 months ago. I have not received anything.

14. FiberMatt

FiberMatt Member

I also havnt heard from John in months. He used to text me once in a while. Has anyone else heard anything? Anyone talk to his business partner?