Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBC Gets Irritating Sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
First of all, they ignore Tesla as much as possible.

They were silent when the Ludicrous update came out.

They were silent when Consumer Reports said the Model S P85D "broke their rating system."

They were silent when the Model X configuration went live.

These were all stories that the other Canadian networks reported on.

The only time they report on Tesla is with stories like:

Porsche, Audi unveil all-electric models to challenge Tesla

and then I have to spend time replying to the EV haters in the comments section debunking their untruths.

First of all, they ignore Tesla as much as possible.

They were silent when the Ludicrous update came out.

They were silent when Consumer Reports said the Model S P85D "broke their rating system."

They were silent when the Model X configuration went live.

These were all stories that the other Canadian networks reported on.

The only time they report on Tesla is with stories like:

Porsche, Audi unveil all-electric models to challenge Tesla

and then I have to spend time replying to the EV haters in the comments section debunking their untruths.
What do you expect from a right wing outlet like...the CBC?

The CBC, all of it, is useless boring trash. Like all news outlets, scientific and technological illiteracy is rampant but here, practically celebrated. They also manage that extra level of pretentiousness in all their coverage - and virtually none of that coverage on radio & TV is of science/technology I might add. I therefore would ignore anything they say about Tesla or anything else. :)

Far better than any other TV network. I remember the days when Discovery was a Science channel rather than being about modifying choppers.

Yes don't get me started about discovery - Daily Planet for example; what nonsense. They purport to be a science show but instead it's literally one story after another about people building useless junk in their garage. But about cbc TV, what sci/tech is on there?? Nature of things? It's ok sometimes but again, just very boring and certainly no tech coverage. Anything else I'm missing?

The only thing I watch on Discovery is Deadliest Catch. For some reason I really like that show.

The Nature of Things has tech, but it's more nuanced. The past year I can think of a couple of shows that were more of how we interact with tech, rather than tech itself per-se.

I think the problem with CBC with tech and science is the same as any other news organization. The reporters have no background in science. The cuts affect programming. That and there's a certain amount of muzzling by the Harper appointed Board of Directors. I can't think of the last time climate change got any coverage. The last time I can think of any major coverage was 10 years ago.

There is a radio show that's only about tech, and tech issues:
Spark

Last edited:
The only thing I watch on Discovery is Deadliest Catch. For some reason I really like that show.

The Nature of Things has tech, but it's more nuanced. The past year I can think of a couple of shows that were more of how we interact with tech, rather than tech itself per-se.

I think the problem with CBC with tech and science is the same as any other news organization. The reporters have no background in science. The cuts affect programming. That and there's a certain amount of muzzling by the Harper appointed Board of Directors. I can't think of the last time climate change got any coverage. The last time I can think of any major coverage was 10 years ago.

There is a radio show that's only about tech, and tech issues:
Spark
I dunno, they love to criticise the PCs.

I really like the Fifth Estate and Passionate Eye docs (i know they're not cbc originals)

As for Discovery Channel they like to produce shows with low overhead no writers and high ratings obviously, the recipe has been "reality" tv.

I dunno, they love to criticise the PCs.

I really like the Fifth Estate and Passionate Eye docs (i know they're not cbc originals)

As for Discovery Channel they like to produce shows with low overhead no writers and high ratings obviously, the recipe has been "reality" tv.
They criticize whoever's in power. They weren't easy on the Liberals when the Liberals were in power.

They lean right wing. It's subtle, but if you pay attention it's there.

Whenever a "report" by a RW think tank is put out, it's presented on CBC as if it's the gospel truth, without comment. If there's a report by a LW think tank there's ALWAYS a critique by the Fraser Institute.

I can't think of the last time I've seen or heard a LW talking head commenting on a story.

Both Peter Mansbridge and Rex Murphy have given speeches to the CAPP.

They have an entire show devoted to nothing but RW propaganda, as if there's no RW bias on the other shows. They had a summer replacement program last year that was nothing but "greed is good" "trickle down" economic propaganda.

Yup I know, but I wasn't counting 1 hour per week of extremely boring and unappealing radio interviews - 95% of which are about the latest discoveries in fish and insect habits. :D
I was desperate for anything to listen to out in the Cariboo back in the early 90's when I had some projects out that way. Hours on remote gravel roads. That far out there was nothing on the radio during the day but the CBC. At least at night you could get other options on AM!

The final straw came one lunch hour when Almanac(?) came on and the intrepid host was interviewing someone about a prize-winning vegetable....

"So Farmer Brown, exactly how big was your Rutabaga??"

<click>

Off went the radio, and I can honestly say I haven't listened to the CBC since. Even with Sirius/XM, I'll tune to BBC World and listen to news mostly relevant to Africa, rather than stoop to the CBC.

Un-Canadian? Probably. Don't care much though... growing up with it on all the time in the house - turned me off of it forever.

Last edited: