Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBC News Story on EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wow! After watching that I don't think I could ever live with an EV.

Oh, wait, we have two Model 3's and have none of those issues! They are using a previous generation city car with the aerodynamics of a brick to travel on fast freeways. It looks like they rented an inappropriate car just to make a negative video of what it's like to live with an EV.

They didn't know any better and they also made a wrong turn. Been there done that...

I don't know. That wasn't the feeling I got from watchng the video. Without re-watching it and pointing out the specifics all I can say is there were a number of comments early in the trip that made me think they were already planning on being dissappointed. The started their trip without a full charge due to using 120V charging overnight. They made a big deal about how low powered it was too. Also, the video of the first charging stop was comical. The leader of the gang looked pretty funny acting overly confused as he first selected the wrong charge cable, then look really frazzled as if he didn't know how to insert it. It looked more like bad acting than any real confusion. Like he was trying to get point across that plugging in is a confusing and difficult thing.

My impression was that somebody in the company (who probably didn't go on the trip) concieved of renting an EV (city car) as a way to present EV's to the motoring public as not ready for prime time and then presented the idea to the driver who agreed to do it. Pretty disgraceful.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Wow! After watching that I don't think I could ever live with an EV.

Oh, wait, we have two Model 3's and have none of those issues! They are using a previous generation city car with the aerodynamics of a brick to travel on fast freeways. It looks like they rented an inappropriate car just to make a negative video of what it's like to live with an EV.

Yeah so much FUD - you'd think they're on a mission to misinform.

I don't know. That wasn't the feeling I got from watchng the video. Without re-watching it and pointing out the specifics all I can say is there were a number of comments early in the trip that made me think they were already planning on being dissappointed. The started their trip without a full charge due to using 120V charging overnight. They made a big deal about how low powered it was too. Also, the video of the first charging stop was comical. The leader of the gang looked pretty funny acting overly confused as he first selected the wrong charge cable, then look really frazzled as if he didn't know how to insert it. It looked more like bad acting than any real confusion. Like he was trying to get point across that plugging in is a confusing and difficult thing.

My impression was that somebody in the company (who probably didn't go on the trip) concieved of renting an EV (city car) as a way to present EV's to the motoring public as not ready for prime time and then presented the idea to the driver who agreed to do it. Pretty disgraceful.

It is bias towards the old "range anxiety" angle. They failed to mentioned the benefits of EVs vs the worse case scenario they presented. It's like bring a knife to a gun fight. They rented the wrong vehicle for their 400km road trip. They only mentioned some positives near the end towards charge stations. Majority of EVs charge at home for daily commutes (we all know that). Bad journalism, more like a paid for slander ad by the gas and dinosaur automakers.

Reactions: StealthP3D
it ends on a optimistic note. I think what the viewer will retain is EV used to be unpractical but now it is getting a lot better unless of course you live in central Canada...:-(

It does end on an optimistic note. Yet the overall feeling the viewer is left with is that they wouldn't want the inconvenience of an EV. A viewer without EV experience (probably over 95% of all viewers) wouldn't understand that, in most ways, EV's are more convenient than ICE cars, particularly if they had picked the right tool for the job.

Which raises the question, since they were renting a car for a road trip to a car show, why did they rent the car they did? It's pretty obvious.

Reactions: SmartElectric
It does end on an optimistic note. Yet the overall feeling the viewer is left with is that they wouldn't want the inconvenience of an EV. A viewer without EV experience (probably over 95% of all viewers) wouldn't understand that, in most ways, EV's are more convenient than ICE cars, particularly if they had picked the right tool for the job.

Which raises the question, since they were renting a car for a road trip to a car show, why did they rent the car they did? It's pretty obvious.

Exactly, KIA Canada would of given them a demo vehicle of their latest and greatest for free promo and marketing if they had asked. Clearly they didn't - shameful journalism. They need to present all the angles, not just the tried and tested one of range anxiety.

If only there were an information medium that allowed people to bypass traditional visual and print media.

YouTube for people that actually look for the content. Traditional Media is still policed and guarded by the station owners. Instagram/twitter would be the closest thing as people - especially the younger generation are sheeps (not all, but a lot).

Reactions: Techniques
Using a limited range commuter car, not charging up for each leg, not plotting alternate routes ahead of a commute in an unfamiliar car, using the Flo app instead of PlugShare, not checking reviews for chargers before charging at them.........

Just FUD. They TRY to push the idea that in five or ten years it’ll be better. Bullshit, it’s good now if you’re not a bloody moron.

There is so much wrong stuff in this video. It’s not the car’s fault you idiots rerouted and went to Sarnia instead, and ended up with one of the worst chargers funded by the Ontario government!

Reactions: Techniques