Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBS This morning runs story on "Autopilot Abuse"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-tests-out-tesla-model-s-autopilot-techology/

What do/did you all think about this story? It showed clips that I've seen posted here in the forums, like the one of the moron reading a newspaper while using Autopilot, and the close call video where the autopilot prevented the night-time accident. The general tone of the story seemed to hint that Tesla could be opening itself to liability for these types of AP abuses, but my favorite quote was from the woman from Tesla:

"We trust our customers and we trust them to be responsible."

You'd never hear a statement like that from an ICE manufacturer's PR person.

Last edited:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-tests-out-tesla-model-s-autopilot-techology/

What do/did you all think about this story? It showed clips that I've seen posted here in the forums, like the one of the moron reading a newspaper while using Autopilot, and the close call video where the autopilot prevented the night-time accident. The general tone of the story seemed to hint that Tesla could be opening itself to liability for these types of AP abuses, but my favorite quote was from the woman from Tesla:

"We trust our customers and we trust them to be responsible."

You'd never hear a statement like that from an ICE manufacturer's PR person.

I have a colleague who lived in Utah for a while, who would have loved the people there to have Autopilot, so that they'd be less dangerous when reading.

When I consider today's lack of common sense, our society's increasingly litigious nature, sensationalistic irresponsible journalism. and nanny state governments, I'm still surprised that I even have autopilot in a motor vehicle. The cynic in me says to enjoy it while I can...

When I consider today's lack of common sense, our society's increasingly litigious nature, sensationalistic irresponsible journalism. and nanny state governments, I'm still surprised that I even have autopilot in a motor vehicle. The cynic in me says to enjoy it while I can...

I had the same feeling. This feels like one of those things that needs to be enjoyed before some lawsuit takes it all away.

My concern is that this is going to be the new "wrong pedal" problem. Whereas it's easy to claim that you stepped on the brake, we all know you inadvertently hit the accelerator, I think now we'll see people claim that the autopilot overrode their input and steered the car into traffic even though we know they were on their iPhone and didn't have their hands on the wheel...but once they claim it's the car's fault, it's out there and the burden of proof goes onto the car maker...
Leave your hands on the wheel.

but once they claim it's the car's fault, it's out there and the burden of proof goes onto the car maker...

I'm not at all sure this is true, at least legally as opposed to in the court of public opinion.

I'd be amazed if Tesla wasn't logging the driver control inputs, which it can then use to analyze and litigate crashes. So even if the (legal) burden of proof is on Tesla, then it probably can meet it.

I'm not at all sure this is true, at least legally as opposed to in the court of public opinion.

I'd be amazed if Tesla wasn't logging the driver control inputs, which it can then use to analyze and litigate crashes. So even if the (legal) burden of proof is on Tesla, then it probably can meet it.

This is an excellent point. Given that autopilot knows when your hands are (and aren't) on the wheel, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla could grab a "contact log" for the steering wheel and use that as a way to easily and legally refute people's claims that the car overrode their otherwise stellar driving skills.

This is an excellent point. Given that autopilot knows when your hands are (and aren't) on the wheel, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla could grab a "contact log" for the steering wheel and use that as a way to easily and legally refute people's claims that the car overrode their otherwise stellar driving skills.

I think they almost have to be doing this. They've had cases in the past where internal car logging has protected them (Broder Incident, the serial lemon law abuser, etc.). They are obviously aware of the potential legal troubles that could come up with Autopilot, so I'm sure they're logging like a banchee under the hood.

The one with the guy driving the newspaper was bad for us. Glad they didn't have the one with nobody in the driver's seat!

I honestly expected a serious accident to have happened by now. Very glad I was wrong. Hope we make it to the next release without one.

On the way to work this morning auto-pilot bailed after slowly drifting to the left while going around a gentle curve on the highway. That kind of scares me - I thought I was getting used to its limits, but it taught me a lesson this morning.

I keep my hands on the wheel, for the record. I didn't want to, but experience has taught me it is a must. Elon has said this won't always be necessary. Sure hope he's right. Auto-pilot isn't very useful if you have to watch the road every second.

Seriously people need to stop posting videos of them driving on a highway and leaving hands off steering wheel and doing stuff what they are not supposed to do...

I agree. I know it is very cool but at the end of the day it is like that lady who took video of herself while drunk driving a few weeks back and got arrested after she put it on YouTube. It is still not technically legal in most states to take your hands off the wheel of the car as I understand it. So why publish the fact that you did it? Still, it is very cool... if I were to do it. :wink:

I just picked up my 85D at the factory yesterday and Auto-steer is incredible! I must admit that a week ago after seeing the things people are putting on YouTube I was putting the odds at 50/50 that auto-steer would be pulled before I received my car. I love the auto lane change feature, as well. The people who complain that it's dangerous because the sensors won't detect a car coming up on you at 100 miles per hour are looking at it backwards. It's not protecting you from that. That's what your rear view mirror is for. It's protecting you from the car in your blind spot.

Yes, Autopilot offers some new avenues for abuse.... but nothing quite like the potential of abuse from a 4000 pound missile piloted by a distracted, emotional and fatigued driver. Drivers with lousy reaction times even in the best of circumstances.

If some idiot crawls into the back seat and gets in a wreck, this idiot will go to jail. Good riddance.

In the meantime, if, heaven forbid, a flaw in the system is discovered, I think Tesla has a way of fixing it, or at least disabling it until a fix can be found.

In the 90s, I worked with someone who commuted 90 miles from a remote town into Austin. He read the newspaper without autopilot every day, except when he was reading a novel. Autopilot maybe encourages this type of behavior, but the people who use it this way are really the same ones who were making poor driving choices before. I'd be surprised if the overall risk has increased with the introduction of AP.