Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS 1 adapter process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the Tesla CCS adapter and tried it at a ChargePoint 50kw station. I am wondering what other users of the adapter have found to be the best process for using the adapter. Plug the adapter into the car first, then attach the CCS plug or attach the adapter to the CCS plug and then into the car?

Once the charge is complete do you remove the plug and then remove the adapter? I found it somewhat difficult to remove the adapter from the CCS plug.

To elaborate, Tesla's design includes a push pin on the car side of the adapter that is supposed to push in when the adapter is plugged into the car and block the latch on the CCS1 side of the adapter from moving. This works only if the CCS1 plug is attached to the adapter before plugging the adapter into the car. If you do it the other way (plugging into the car first and then plugging in the CCS1 plug), then the pin on the adapter should block the CCS1 plug from attaching properly.

That said, in practice many people have reported that the pin doesn't push in far enough to work properly on some CCS1 plugs. Thus, it might work if you do it backwards; but it might not, too. Overall, it's best to do it properly -- attach (and detach) the CCS1 plug to (from) the adapter only when the adapter is disconnected from the car, and treat the combined CCS1-plug-plus-adapter as if it were a Supercharger plug.

Reactions: Jbuntz and Randy-12
There's also been some debate as to whether you should initiate payment before or after plugging your car in. I used to always initiate before, because it was the quickest however, started about a month or two ago, I noticed many stations started erroring out immediately if I initiated payment first. On these same machines, I found if I plug in first, then initiate payment, it works. So I switched to doing that, and haven't had any issues yet. With that being said, I also found that when the free juice ended, the stations near me that I use most, the software seems way more responsive. I remember when I plugged in first, it used to take a while while it says connecting... Now it almost immediately switches screens to one that asks for payment. So it seems less laggy than before.

The best order of steps of the procedure doesn't really depend on the adapter. It's the different manufacturer's stations that work a little differently about what needs to be done in what order to get them to work well. Some prefer to begin the session before plugging in, but others want it to be plugged in before initiating.