Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the verdict regarding part #1656565-00-A vs. #1656565-10-A? Are they physically identical parts that are just labeled differently?

Until someone offers some hard evidence to the contrary (besides the sticker), they are the exact same part, made in the exact same factory, sold by Tesla, in different markets.

For readers new to or otherwise unfamiliar with this issue, Tesla Part #1656565-00-A is the new Tesla CCS1 Adapter, as of September 21, 2022 now offered in North America online at the Tesla "Shop" websites (Canada for $340[CAN], United States for $250[US]), and listed in the (for example, U.S.) Tesla online parts catalog (for all four current road models--S, X. 3, and Y--assuming that they are CCS-enabled (i.e., 2020 or newer, with some exceptions, or properly retrofit with a new charge ECU). The North American CCS1 adapter owner's manual (in English) is provided here.

Tesla Part #1656565-10-A is, the Tesla CCS1 adapter that was first released (ostensibly just for Models 3 and Y) in South Korea (see here) in 2021, I believe. Adventurous TMC members began importing the Korean adapter in relatively large numbers into North America in the spring of 2022 after discovering that it worked swimmingly for all four current models, provided that they are CCS-enabled. The South Korean CCS1 adapter owner's manual was translated (into English) here.

Owners of the Korean adapter (including your truly) and others are now curious as to whether there are any physical and particularly any charging-rate differences between the (original) South Korean and the (new) North American versions, other than some language variations on their labels. So far, no one has pinned down any definitive differences, that I am aware of. (So, what @Exelion said [here].)

Similar questions about charge rates and physical variation can also be asked concerning Tesla versus third-party CCS1 adapters from, say, Hansshow, Lectron, and A2Z Shop (see third-party CCS1 adapters listed here).

Last edited:
finally had a chance to use CCS n adapter from Korea
for reference, 2016.9 MX 90D (in case my signature will change later :) )
SOC: 18-60%, no pre-conditioning of any sort.
1666375672936.png

1666375823385.png

1666375989810.png

1666375893006.png

i think it ended with like 70kW at 60%...
adapter was barely warm in couple of spots.
i'm impressed n very happy camper!

Last edited:
finally had a chance to use CCS n adapter from Korea
for reference, 2016.9 MX 90D (in case my signature will change later :) )
SOC: 18-60%, no pre-conditioning of any sort.
View attachment 866201
View attachment 866202
View attachment 866205
View attachment 866203
i think it ended with like 70kW at 60%...
adapter was barely warm in couple of spots.
i'm impressed n very happy camper!
Something doesn’t add up. $.99 a kWh? That makes gas look downright cheap, but it also says you got 32.xx kWh for $8.xx, what’s up with that?

Reactions: FalconFour
... Come on tesla. I DID navigate to this specific Electrify America station. If you're gonna give me this nag when charging on CCS, then support navigating to CCS chargers.

I agree. The software needs a place where you can select “I have the CCS adapter” and then unlock all the CCS charging stations in the area on the map.

I agree. The software needs a place where you can select “I have the CCS adapter” and then unlock all the CCS charging stations in the area on the map.
Since they had a CHAdeMO adapter for many years, and people often requested this and nothing happened, I am not holding my breath.

They don't even need to keep a database of all of them (though they do exist in the maps that come from google.) Just need a button in the nav menu that says "this destination is a fast charging station." Or for extra credit, allow when an app (like plugshare or google maps) shares a destination with the Tesla app, there is a way to communicate that idea. (Or just look at its name.)

I don't want Tesla maintaining a list of stations because they're likely to screw it up. They should just have the ability to say that your next destination is a fast charging station and the battery should be preconditioned for charging prior to arrival there.

I don't want Tesla maintaining a list of stations because they're likely to screw it up. They should just have the ability to say that your next destination is a fast charging station and the battery should be preconditioned for charging prior to arrival there.

I am inexperienced with this (i.e., preconditioning a battery before charging). So I am wondering:

Does the trick of navigating to a Supercharger but actually driving to a CCS1 station not work? Too inconvenient? How often are SCs and CCS1 stations not near each other.

I do agree it would be nice to have the software precondition for non-Tesla stations.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I am inexperienced with this (i.e., preconditioning a battery before charging. So I am wondering:

Does the trick of navigating to a Supercharger but actually driving to a CCS1 station not work? Too inconvenient? How often are SCs and CCS1 stations not near each other.

I do agree it would be nice to have the software precondition for non-Tesla stations.
It won't work if there's no supercharger nearby to navigate to. It preconditions the battery such that it reaches optimal temperature for charging when you arrive at the SC site. You can't, say, navigate to a SC 50 miles away because it would assume that arrival isn't imminent and may not even activate the preconditioning feature yet.

It won't work if there's no supercharger nearby to navigate to. It preconditions the battery such that it reaches optimal temperature for charging when you arrive at the SC site. You can't, say, navigate to a SC 50 miles away because it would assume that arrival isn't imminent and may not even activate the preconditioning feature yet.
Plan B is driving like a crazy person for 5 minutes prior to arrival

It does, but SC’s and DCFC’s are not always near each other, heavily depending on the part of the country you live. Exactly where I live, the nearest SC is 12 miles away but the DCFC (electrify america) is 200 yards away.

How often? Often enough to be inconvenient. Murphy’s law takes over in these situations-like when you’re in an unfamiliar area, you plug in a far away SC, but then have to navigate to the DCFC, by using something other than the car’s map. No fun at all. Good news is that some EVGo sites are shown, but not many of those compared to EA and all the others.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and tps5352
Does the trick of navigating to a Supercharger but actually driving to a CCS1 station not work?
IIRC (I took that picture a few weeks ago), this is the EA station in question:
Screenshot_20221024-180720.png

This is an area where EA has way better coverage than Tesla.

There are also some “fun” issues with navigating to the (unknown location) EA station when it’s not next to the Tesla station, and the detail that if you move the Tesla station 2nd in the navigation order, preheating can stop.

Last edited: