TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CCS Adapter for North America

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Can37, Sep 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

2. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

These are my charges so far this month.

IMG_D2AFF9E5DFB3-1.jpeg

It may just be the locations, they say there is a discount schedule

IMG_0354.jpeg

I think the idea is the busier they are the more likely they are to charge...

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

It seems DrivetheArc has extended 100% discount promo ticket offer until further notice.

COVID-19 update: 100% discount PromoTicket services - DRIVEtheARC posted May 27, 2020 states this.

There are some Bolt drivers on Bolt FB groups who claim they're now able to get free SAE Combo charging too, although I see nothing that directly says that on their strange web site. They only mention free CHAdeMO charging.

• Informative x 1
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

As I posted at CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3, I can confirm that CCS charging is free on DriveTheArc for the time being. I just did so w/my Bolt earlier tonight.

5. KootsChewt

KootsChewt Member

Another summer of road trips has rolled around and I'm still holding out hope a CCS adapter will be available soon (tm). My first trip of the year I am borrowing a friends CHAdeMO adapter; he bought it back in his Model S days 6 years ago so it was a worthwhile investment at the time. I find it hard to want to shell out the cash now though, when I see that the CCS adapter being sold in Europe is smaller, cheaper, and charges at a higher rate! Almost none of the public DCFCs are free now in BC (as it should be), and of course none of the private ones are, so there is no cost-benefit argument to just buy it now. The only reason is to get the ability to travel further afield...

My usual stomping grounds - DCFC coverage:

2020-06 DCFC coverage.JPG

Supercharger coverage:

2020-06 Supercharger Coverage.JPG
    That is a whole lot of BC, AB and northern WA/ID/MT I can't get to at all. Many of these regions are major tourism draws and/or major cities (at least as far as BC is concerned for size!). If they won't build us more SC's in these areas, at least give us the ability to use the latest standard. CHAdeMO is dying a slow death and I do not want to spend big $$ on an adapter for it.

• Like x 3
  6. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

As a fellow BC resident I'm waiting on the CCS adapter too. So many free BC hydro stations around and no way to use them. I refuse to pay $650 for a charger limited to 50kW. Especially as you mentioned, Europe had a CCS charger for about 100 Euros.

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I think the adapter is ~500 Euros for older cars that need the hardware retrofit to use CCS.

8. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

Yeah I know it is more involved for older X and S cars, but for the most common cars (Y and 3) I'm pretty sure it was a $130 "dumb" adapter, similar to the J1772 adapter.

• Like x 1
  9. MP3Mike

The European 3&Y don't need an adapter at all they came with a CCS2 port on the car.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Dumb CCS to TSL-02 adapter won't work in the US, don't hold your breath.

• Informative x 1
  11. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

Maybe for the Y, but for a period of time the Model 3 (and obviously the older cars) had the Tesla ports. EU superchargers still have both plugs.

• Disagree x 4
  12. MP3Mike

Nope, the European Model 3s have always had the CCS2 ports.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  13. Reeler

Reeler Decade of Pure EV Driving

My wife did a cross country drive from Denver to Prescott and it routed through remote Indian lands south of Moab. Despite the routing saying she could make it, she had to stop at a destination charger for a few hours to make it. She had my Chademo adapter that was no help, but a CCS adapter could have been helpful.

14. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

In Germany the adapter alone costs 170 Euros. It works for all Model S/X built starting May 2019. Only older cars required the retrofit, which brought the total cost to 500 Euros.

15. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

This has been a question since the Euro adapter appeared. Do you have facts/sources that definitely confirm this?

• Like x 1
  16. PJFW8

PJFW8 Red Menace may hurt me

The European CCS standard is different than ours, not just the shape of the connector. European Tesla superchargers are also different than ours.

• Like x 1
  17. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Of course. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible to build a passive adapter fo the US Tesla port.

• Like x 1
  18. Jim in Houston

I have heard there is a adapter for US cars to use European Super Chargers. Supposedly it costs around $800

19. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Read the forum, technically it is not possible for a simple mechanical lock extension from the car port to the Type1 plug as used in the Type 2 plug necessitating an electromagnetic lock, power, and the logic to drive it, can't be dumb, and it can't be cheap.

• Informative x 1
  20. AdamMacDon

AdamMacDon Member

Do you have anything more specific than the entire forum? Link to a thread, perhaps? Honestly a lock moved via a solenoid or something can't be overly complicated or expensive. I feel like the real reason Tesla wouldn't develop this for North America is we don't have strict regulations on EV charging like the EU, and they had no choice there. Here they'd just be spending money on R&D to take away business from their own superchargers. Sure they said supercharging is a non-profit aspect of the business, but they also did say it would be free forever! Things change, especially when money talks.