Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are my charges so far this month.

IMG_D2AFF9E5DFB3-1.jpeg

It may just be the locations, they say there is a discount schedule

IMG_0354.jpeg

I think the idea is the busier they are the more likely they are to charge...

It seems DrivetheArc has extended 100% discount promo ticket offer until further notice.

COVID-19 update: 100% discount PromoTicket services - DRIVEtheARC posted May 27, 2020 states this.

There are some Bolt drivers on Bolt FB groups who claim they're now able to get free SAE Combo charging too, although I see nothing that directly says that on their strange web site. They only mention free CHAdeMO charging.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Another summer of road trips has rolled around and I'm still holding out hope a CCS adapter will be available soon (tm). My first trip of the year I am borrowing a friends CHAdeMO adapter; he bought it back in his Model S days 6 years ago so it was a worthwhile investment at the time. I find it hard to want to shell out the cash now though, when I see that the CCS adapter being sold in Europe is smaller, cheaper, and charges at a higher rate! Almost none of the public DCFCs are free now in BC (as it should be), and of course none of the private ones are, so there is no cost-benefit argument to just buy it now. The only reason is to get the ability to travel further afield...

My usual stomping grounds - DCFC coverage:

2020-06 DCFC coverage.JPG

Supercharger coverage:

2020-06 Supercharger Coverage.JPG

That is a whole lot of BC, AB and northern WA/ID/MT I can't get to at all. Many of these regions are major tourism draws and/or major cities (at least as far as BC is concerned for size!). If they won't build us more SC's in these areas, at least give us the ability to use the latest standard. CHAdeMO is dying a slow death and I do not want to spend big $$ on an adapter for it.

Another summer of road trips has rolled around and I'm still holding out hope a CCS adapter will be available soon (tm). My first trip of the year I am borrowing a friends CHAdeMO adapter; he bought it back in his Model S days 6 years ago so it was a worthwhile investment at the time. I find it hard to want to shell out the cash now though, when I see that the CCS adapter being sold in Europe is smaller, cheaper, and charges at a higher rate! Almost none of the public DCFCs are free now in BC (as it should be), and of course none of the private ones are, so there is no cost-benefit argument to just buy it now. The only reason is to get the ability to travel further afield...

My usual stomping grounds - DCFC coverage:

View attachment 553595

Supercharger coverage:

View attachment 553596
That is a whole lot of BC, AB and northern WA/ID/MT I can't get to at all. Many of these regions are major tourism draws and/or major cities (at least as far as BC is concerned for size!). If they won't build us more SC's in these areas, at least give us the ability to use the latest standard. CHAdeMO is dying a slow death and I do not want to spend big $$ on an adapter for it.
As a fellow BC resident I'm waiting on the CCS adapter too. So many free BC hydro stations around and no way to use them. I refuse to pay $650 for a charger limited to 50kW. Especially as you mentioned, Europe had a CCS charger for about 100 Euros.

My wife did a cross country drive from Denver to Prescott and it routed through remote Indian lands south of Moab. Despite the routing saying she could make it, she had to stop at a destination charger for a few hours to make it. She had my Chademo adapter that was no help, but a CCS adapter could have been helpful.

This has been a question since the Euro adapter appeared. Do you have facts/sources that definitely confirm this?
Read the forum, technically it is not possible for a simple mechanical lock extension from the car port to the Type1 plug as used in the Type 2 plug necessitating an electromagnetic lock, power, and the logic to drive it, can't be dumb, and it can't be cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Read the forum, technically it is not possible for a simple mechanical lock extension from the car port to the Type1 plug as used in the Type 2 plug necessitating an electromagnetic lock, power, and the logic to drive it, can't be dumb, and it can't be cheap.
Do you have anything more specific than the entire forum? Link to a thread, perhaps? Honestly a lock moved via a solenoid or something can't be overly complicated or expensive. I feel like the real reason Tesla wouldn't develop this for North America is we don't have strict regulations on EV charging like the EU, and they had no choice there. Here they'd just be spending money on R&D to take away business from their own superchargers. Sure they said supercharging is a non-profit aspect of the business, but they also did say it would be free forever! Things change, especially when money talks.