Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A part that relates to AC charging would make sense. The European ones have to manage 3 phase AC electricity, while the North American ones don't. The stuff that is just for direct DC charging probably wouldn't need to be much different.
Found it. It was the PCBA for the charge port controller.

Tesla Model 3 Charge Port Controller Standalone Development - openinverter forum

North America board on top, European board on the bottom.

file.php

A part that relates to AC charging would make sense. The European ones have to manage 3 phase AC electricity, while the North American ones don't. The stuff that is just for direct DC charging probably wouldn't need to be much different.
Actually the 48 amp AC charger for the 3/Y is already broken into three identical circuits. If the AC is single phase the three circuits run in parallel, if it's 3 phase each circuit takes a phase.

It looks like there is a decent chance that we could get the NA CCS adapter question asked on the investors conference call next week. So if you are a shareholder and care you should go vote for this question on Say.com: When will Tesla launch a US CCS adapter

Note: It could have been better worded to include Canada and other areas, but hey it is a good start and is currently ranked question #9. (They normally answer the first ~5 questions.) So get out and vote.

Reactions: kayak1 and israndy
It looks like there is a decent chance that we could get the NA CCS adapter question asked on the investors conference call next week. So if you are a shareholder and care you should go vote for this question on Say.com: When will Tesla launch a US CCS adapter

Note: It could have been better worded to include Canada and other areas, but hey it is a good start and is currently ranked question #9. (They normally answer the first ~5 questions.) So get out and vote.
Is it safe to give them my login info?

Operating under the assumption that we would need some sort of retrofit (unless they go the chademo adapter style route), is it possible to put in the necessary hardware into the model 3 like they did for the Model S and X? I know everything is a bit more integrated on the model 3, so it makes me wonder how a retrofit would work.

(It does make me wonder if one could take the european charge controller and stick it in a US car and combine it with a passive adapter, though I would image there may be security on them to block usage or a firmware-level flag around CCS or some other hardware difference that would prevent one wiring it up).

(It does make me wonder if one could take the european charge controller and stick it in a US car and combine it with a passive adapter, though I would image there may be security on them to block usage or a firmware-level flag around CCS or some other hardware difference that would prevent one wiring it up).

The EU retrofit does require a configuration change and software update.

They use plaid.com to get your shareholding information, which I think is generally considered safe. (Many "FinTech" app providers use plaid.com including Microsoft.)

Information security | Plaid
I gave them my security info, but they refused to connect. Now I expect they will sell my shares and pocket the funds. Guess I have to go change my password before that happens.

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1 and Gasaraki
Hate to admit it, but with the addition of supercharger in Charleston SC, my interest in CCS adapter has diminshed.

Elon Musk, upon hearing the news:

"WHAAAATTT???!!! Wes is no longer INTERESTED????!!! Ok, cancel the project!!! Fire the engineers!! NO, WAIT! Reassign them to the Flamethrower V2 project!!!"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(Ok, my sincere apologies, I just couldn't resist)

I don't know if it tells us much but there is someone that is starting to reverse engineer/hack the Model 3 charge port. In a recent video he shows the difference in the charge port controller ECU boards, which it is thought they handle the CCS communications and the EU board is bigger with a much bigger processor than the NA version:

That makes me think that Tesla didn't include CCS support in the NA Model 3s, and that an adapter would require a retrofit of the charge port controller as well as a physical adapter. Not that that makes it any less possible, just that it would cost more and require a service visit.

I don't know if it tells us much but there is someone that is starting to reverse engineer/hack the Model 3 charge port. In a recent video he shows the difference in the charge port controller ECU boards, which it is thought they handle the CCS communications and the EU board is bigger with a much bigger processor than the NA version:

That makes me think that Tesla didn't include CCS support in the NA Model 3s, and that an adapter would require a retrofit of the charge port controller as well as a physical adapter. Not that that makes it any less possible, just that it would cost more and require a service visit.

Wonder how much security is around those boards and if one could just swap it, but even if done there may be a software flag to block it regardless.

How easy/accessible are those boards in the Model 3/Y? Wonder how difficult it would be to swap should they officially release an adapter/retrofit, issues with the physical connector aside.

Side note: Tesla could also make available a limit set of US to CCS2 adapters strictly for members on military (and govt?) duty who travel overseas. At some point that will become an issue (albeit a niche issue), but one that Tesla is uniquely able to respond to.

Reactions: Reeler
Side note: Tesla could also make available a limit set of US to CCS2 adapters strictly for members on military (and govt?) duty who travel overseas. At some point that will become an issue (albeit a niche issue), but one that Tesla is uniquely able to respond to.

Apparently such adapters are already available - both for CCS1->CCS2 and CCS2->CCS1. Pricey though. Here is one example:

European to US CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 EV Quick Charger Adapter – EVSE Adapters

It is interesting that in the video in post #256, the Korean adapter is allowing almost a full 200 amps of current (e.g., 70-80 kW). That is quite a bit more than the CHAdeMO adapter allows at 125 amps max.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler