Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The nice thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from..." - unknown

I have a poster from early 1990's with this quote - it also lists all the computer communication standards from modems, ethernet, DECnet, Novel IPX, TCP/IP, IBM Mainframe, etc.etc. in a graphic showing how each relates to the other and the 7 layers...

There were a LOT of standards.

• Love
Reactions: scaesare
I have a poster from early 1990's with this quote - it also lists all the computer communication standards from modems, ethernet, DECnet, Novel IPX, TCP/IP, IBM Mainframe, etc.etc. in a graphic showing how each relates to the other and the 7 layers...

All of those protocols achieved different things, and had different design goals. The only standard that they created was the protocol themself. You'll notice Ethernet and IP have stood quite the test of time, having been the most open and generally applicable to the technology being adopted.

Just like CCS.

ok, I'll guinea pig.... I emailed the company for details. They were able to show information that the adapter had already been test marketed in Korea. Normally I’d be scriptural, but this company also had built a few products for Jack Rickard’s EVTV. One thing about Jack, I doubt he would’ve been doing business with a second rate company. So, I’m taking a chance and ordered one. Even if ‘only’ charged at 72kw, that’s a whole lot faster than the CHAdeMO 50kw.

While supercharger network is ok for 95% of my needs, my weekly commute places me in a an 90 mile stretch with no SC. (180 mile commute). While the car can do it non stop, my concern is if I ever get into a detour situation after the last SC, I’m screwed. Fortunately the PA turnpike now has several Level 3 stations along the way. So, either a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter is my life vest.

I’ll keep the thread informed if a) it actually shows up and b) if it actually works.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

The quote definitely came out of the computer industry. Having been in the biz since the 1970s, the number of 'industry standards' that have come and gone between then and now have been ridiculous.

Reactions: scaesare
It looks like an official CCS1 adapter may be coming to Korea in the first half of next year: 카카오톡채널 - TESLA KOREA (kakao.com)

I wonder if it will require a retrofit like the European CCS2 one does, and what models it will work with.

Tesla CCS1.png

Translated:

CcS1 charging adapter launched in the first half of 2021
To enhance the owner's ongoing charging experience, Tesla Korea will officially launch the CCS1 charging adapter in the first half of 2021. The charging adapter makes it easy to charge your car not only with Tesla's dedicated supercharger and destination charging network, but also at CCS1-compliant public rapid charging stations.

We'll guide you through Tesla Korea's KakaoTalk channel on detailed launch schedules and purchasing methods; thank you for joining us in accelerating the global transition to sustainable energy.

Nothing like making the third party adapter obsolete shortly after it is released...

If that picture is anything like the real thing, then it'll absolutely require a retrofit. The adapter won't be entirely useless especially if they leave the older MS's in the dust with the retrofit. They haven't even gotten MCU2 to all the MS's

They could have been building the required chips in to the chargeport electronics for some time now, or not.

You’d think that they would have known both that they’d want it eventually and exactly what it needed to be ever since they started building CCS2 compatible units, so having it included the next time they changed hardware (which we know they did for Ravens if nothing else,) would be reasonable, unless they didn’t want to spend the little bit of extra cost.

Reactions: starman27
They could have been building the required chips in to the chargeport electronics for some time now, or not.

You’d think that they would have known both that they’d want it eventually and exactly what it needed to be ever since they started building CCS2 compatible units, so having it included the next time they changed hardware (which we know they did for Ravens if nothing else,) would be reasonable, unless they didn’t want to spend the little bit of extra cost.
Gotta believe in this business every penny saved counts at volume. Guaranteed the BLE TPMS is all about lowering the BOM and faster manufacture. No extra radios, no extra wiring to the wheel wells. The whole industry uses the older style units but they are dirt cheap because they manufacture millions from tons of suppliers worldwide. Still worth the BLE switch. So I doubt they are going to add anything superfluous to the car

Gotta believe in this business every penny saved counts at volume. Guaranteed the BLE TPMS is all about lowering the BOM and faster manufacture. No extra radios, no extra wiring to the wheel wells. The whole industry uses the older style units but they are dirt cheap because they manufacture millions from tons of suppliers worldwide. Still worth the BLE switch. So I doubt they are going to add anything superfluous to the car

I don’t disagree with anything you just said. On the other hand, Tesla has been perfectly willing to spend scads of money on custom solutions when they felt it benefited them and the car.

So it really all centers around what Tesla saw as important or superfluous at the time of the revision.

No retrofit. It’s an adapter (wha hoo)! Think of the hand sized one for J1772. As Colorado is patching the supercharger holes with CCS this’ll be great when it comes stateside.

Are you sure? The EU CCS one is an adapter too, and it required a retrofit be installed in cars that were produced before it was released in order to use it...

If that picture is anything like the real thing, then it'll absolutely require a retrofit. The adapter won't be entirely useless especially if they leave the older MS's in the dust with the retrofit. They haven't even gotten MCU2 to all the MS's

How can you tell from that picture? We're looking at the CCS-1 end. The other end looks about the right size for a Tesla plug. Besides, if it required a refit, why not just add a separate CCS-1 port next to the Tesla port? Maybe kinda tight, but I imagine it could be done.

How can you tell from that picture? We're looking at the CCS-1 end. The other end looks about the right size for a Tesla plug. Besides, if it required a refit, why not just add a separate CCS-1 port next to the Tesla port? Maybe kinda tight, but I imagine it could be done.
Retrofits on the inside of the car. For pre-May 2019 Model S and X in Europe, they need to install new hardware connected to the charging system. Current European cars include the necessary hardware but AFAIK, it isn't included in the US cars yet.

Once the hardware is installed, the S & X can use the adapter to charge at CCS stations in Europe. 3 and Y won't require the adapter in Europe.

Also, there's not enough room on the current S & X for a CCS port. They might be able to modify the 3 & Y to include both CCS and Tesla but it would be a tight fit on the inside.

CCS Combo 2 adapters
Can all Tesla owners use the Supercharger network in Europe?
Yes, the Supercharger network is available to all Tesla owners – regardless of vehicle type or trim. All V2 Superchargers in Europe feature dual-cable posts to accommodate both DC Type 2 and CCS Combo 2 charge-ports. European V3 Superchargers feature single-cable CCS technology, which are directly compatible with all Model 3 vehicles. Model S and Model X vehicles in region can access V3 Superchargers with a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

Do the Model S and Model X have access to third-party charging networks?
Model S and Model X owners may use a CCS Combo 2 adapter to connect to compatible third-party networks. Model 3 can directly plug into third-party networks using CCS Combo 2 connectors.

How do I know if my Model S or Model X has the technical capability to charge via a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
Yes. Schedule a simple service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via the Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service costs £280, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

What is the peak charge rate I can receive with a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Model S and Model X owners can currently receive peak charge rates up to 142kW, roughly on par with the fastest charge rates supported by V2 Supercharging (150kW). We will continue to validate this technology as part of the V3 Supercharger rollout and will provide additional information regarding peak charge rates as it is available.​

Last edited:
Retrofits on the inside of the car. For pre-May 2019 Model S and X in Europe, they need to install new hardware connected to the charging system. Current European cars include the necessary hardware but AFAIK, it isn't included in the US cars yet.

That's possible, but this announcement didn't even hint at it. We have no way of knowing if it would be required for the 3/Y, as they may have already anticipated this with those vehicles.

That's possible, but this announcement didn't even hint at it. We have no way of knowing if it would be required for the 3/Y, as they may have already anticipated this with those vehicles.
I think when others are talking about the possibility for retrofits, it's to warn people that they can't just buy the adapter from South Korea and expect it to work in North America.

Based on the option codes I've seen for European vs. American Teslas, the North American cars don't have the necessary hardware to use the CCS adapter. While the hardware might only cost $50, that would add up for tens of thousands of vehicles that might never use it. Tesla doesn't even include the HomeLink transmitter by default anymore so I'm pretty certain they don't include CCS compatible hardware on any pre-2021 North American cars.

When the time comes in North America, Tesla will start including the necessary hardware and will offer retrofits for those cars that have already been sold without it.

I would find it odd if Tesla makes a different electronics for Korean Model 3's, and again for European ones, and again for North America. It would be simpler to use the same circuit board(s) everywhere, and the only physical difference is the charge port socket hardware... The earlier discussion has said that CCS2 and CCS1 signaling were electronically the same. Only the plugs have been changed to confuse the innocent. Worst case then would be a software module enabled.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I think when others are talking about the possibility for retrofits, it's to warn people that they can't just buy the adapter from South Korea and expect it to work in North America.

Based on the option codes I've seen for European vs. American Teslas, the North American cars don't have the necessary hardware to use the CCS adapter. While the hardware might only cost $50, that would add up for tens of thousands of vehicles that might never use it. Tesla doesn't even include the HomeLink transmitter by default anymore so I'm pretty certain they don't include CCS compatible hardware on any pre-2021 North American cars.

When the time comes in North America, Tesla will start including the necessary hardware and will offer retrofits for those cars that have already been sold without it.

Well sign me up and sell me the damn adapter. There are so many CCS locations in North America that PlugShare doesn't show them all unless you start zooming in at various regions.

upload_2020-12-17_17-50-5.png