Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I've had time to finish diner and can now waste some time researching your list:
  1. Audi Etron: Ok, I forgot about this one.
  2. VW ID4: Max 125kW, but not available until mid 2021. (Unless you pre-reserved the "1st Edition")
  3. Hyundai Ioniq5: I can't find any official specs or availability dates. I see June/July delivery dates for some countries but nothing for the US. But they say it supports bi-directional charging, which the CCS standard doesn't yet. So maybe it is CHAdeMO? (Or maybe they are going non-standard?)
  4. GM Bolt EUV: It looks like a 2022 model year available in late 2021, no official specs available yet.
  5. Ford Mach-E: Available in late summer, but from what Ford has said 60% going to Europe, so very limited NA availability.
  6. Volvo XC40: Expected to go on sale in early 2021, so maybe?
  7. Nissan Ariya: available for sale as early as the fall of 2021, up to 130kW.
So it looks like all of 2 cars available to purchase now, maybe more by mid-to-end of 2021, if they aren't delayed further than they already have been. So it really doesn't seem like the majority of cars available in 2021, excluding Teslas, will be able to charge at 120+kW. Or am I really missing something?
The Ioniq works like phones. You drive one car on top of the other and the one on top can charge the one on the bottom. Easypeasy. :)

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
Pretty brief documentation; a couple of pages. There is a battery inside the adapter that has to be turned on when using...

Unfortunately, the adapter didn't work work for me (Model 3). I went to two different Electrify America stations made by BTC Power and one eVgo station made by ABB (industry standard stations). If the car was left unlocked, the error on the charger screen is communications related and the charging session won't start. If the car is locked, then the error on the charger screen is a proximity error and the charging session won't start. I tried several different combinations at each charger, and spent about 45 minutes on the phone with EA support. It just wouldn't work...

Will reach out to Setec, but I don't see them being able to work any magic. I followed the instructions to the letter, and have a lot of experience charging Teslas and using the Chademo adapter (so I'm pretty confident it isn't pilot error). Will probably pursue a return...
Just saw your posts. Sorry to duplicate everyone. What a bummer on the compatibility. The SETEC people I was emailing with said if I had problems to follow up with them, will see what happens once I have a car to actually figure out it does not work with... Sigh....

Just saw your posts. Sorry to duplicate everyone. What a bummer on the compatibility. The SETEC people I was emailing with said if I had problems to follow up with them, will see what happens once I have a car to actually figure out it does not work with... Sigh....

it would be great if someone could try it on a model S or x. There's a very good chance that it's different than a model 3. Seems to me I remember reading the chademo adapter didn't work on a model 3 when it worked on a model s. I think they fixed that, maybe this can happen too.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Pretty brief documentation; a couple of pages. There is a battery inside the adapter that has to be turned on when using...

Unfortunately, the adapter didn't work work for me (Model 3). I went to two different Electrify America stations made by BTC Power and one eVgo station made by ABB (industry standard stations). If the car was left unlocked, the error on the charger screen is communications related and the charging session won't start. If the car is locked, then the error on the charger screen is a proximity error and the charging session won't start. I tried several different combinations at each charger, and spent about 45 minutes on the phone with EA support. It just wouldn't work...

Will reach out to Setec, but I don't see them being able to work any magic. I followed the instructions to the letter, and have a lot of experience charging Teslas and using the Chademo adapter (so I'm pretty confident it isn't pilot error). Will probably pursue a return...

Interesting that the error changes when your car is locked versus unlocked.

IIRC proximity error has to do with wether the charge cable is completely inserted and latched.

Maybe the adapter is talking Korean to the charger?

That's too bad. Willing to post the Plugshare link and/or addresses of the two sites so we can take a look? EA isn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability when it comes to charging. Up here in Nor Cal, I've also had pretty mixed experiences w/EVgo DC FCs.

At least it didn't sound like you had a problem w/their credit card readers which you should avoid using (search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card). Always best to start sessions w/them via their app from a reliability POV.

I remember reading the chademo adapter didn't work on a model 3 when it worked on a model s. I think they fixed that, maybe this can happen too.
Correct. The CHAdeMO adapter didn't work on the 3 while it worked on the S and X. Was like this for a very long time.

The date of Tesla Model 3 In North America Finally Can Use CHAdeMO Adapter (July 2019) sounds about right.
The Model 3 has been available in the U.S. since mid-2017, but for the first two years, the Model 3 wasn't able to use CHAdeMO adapters, which have been available for Model S and Model X for years. The only way to DC fast charge was to use Superchargers.

That's too bad. Willing to post the Plugshare link and/or addresses of the two sites so we can take a look? EA isn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability when it comes to charging. Up here in Nor Cal, I've also had pretty mixed experiences w/EVgo DC FCs.

At least it didn't sound like you had a problem w/their credit card readers which you should avoid using (search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card). Always best to start sessions w/them via their app from a reliability POV.

I went to the Murphy Canyon Walmart EA site, the Fashion Valley EA site, and the Fashion Valley eVgo site...

Murphy Canyon EA:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Fashion Valley EA:

Fashion Valley eVgo:

I've read multiple reports of people with CCS cars having trouble and errors getting charging to start. The solutions are related to getting the plug and port to physically make a good connection.

CCS connector snapped in very snugly to the adapter, and the adapter made a great solid fit into the Model 3. I don't see how the connection could be any better. No tension on the cable that would pull it out of alignment, etc. Will try Model S soon...

I've read multiple reports of people with CCS cars having trouble and errors getting charging to start. The solutions are related to getting the plug and port to physically make a good connection.
I suspect issues that you're alluding to are Chevrolet Bolt EV and Spark EV Charging Port Issues and Corrections | Torque News (I don't follow the Spark EV issues as I don't care) and the issue on Bolts using the heavy cables and handles from Huber+Suhner that EA uses. Finally EA makes a video on how to prop-up the cable happened.

It is one of the most common complaints of n00bs on Bolt FB groups where someone complains they couldn't get their Bolt to charge on EA DC FCs and we always have to ask if if they held up the handle until the plug gets locked to the car. Of course, you don't need to with J1772 nor pretty much any other DC FC. This is besides imploring them not to use EA's unreliable card readers.

I can't speak to other models but EA's video names the Spark, Bolt and i3, as examples.

As a side note, this is partly what rankles me about anti-CHAdeMO folks. Well, you folks got your wish about killing it in the US. CHAdeMO doesn't have this issue and it had a few more years to evolve vs. SAE Combo. Oh well. (This is not to say that the early CHAdeMO handles weren't crap. They were not intuitively designed and it was to easy to to things wrong if one didn't read the directions. But that's mostly a non-issue now.)

Reactions: henderrj
CCS connector snapped in very snugly to the adapter, and the adapter made a great solid fit into the Model 3. I don't see how the connection could be any better. No tension on the cable that would pull it out of alignment, etc. Will try Model S soon...
I would think maybe that issue happens once, but not on all three chargers in three different locations. I am betting it is a software change on the Model 3. Now that I actually got a VIN this morning, and I hope it means I have a car soon, I can try to test as well.

Got mine today as well. (2015 M S90D). Tried it at a blink station. Got one of two errors (tried multiple times) Communications Error and Isolation Fail. (see pics). Sent an email out to Setec. I suspect we're going to be beta testers as they tweak the firmware

Seeing as this adapter is mentioned in multiple sub-forums and threads, may be a Setec only thread should be started? This would help people share information with a 'one stop shop.'

Attachments

• commerror.jpg
    commerror.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 118
  • isolationtest.jpg
    isolationtest.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 61
FYI: The CCS standard requires a motorized connector latch be engaged before charging can start. Does the Setec even have a motorized latch? If not then it's dangerous. If the cable were pulled out while under 200A there could be an arc-over and explosion. This is why CCS, CHAdeMO and Tesla all have a motorized latch that prevents the handle from being removed until the current falls to zero.

The manual for my 2021 MS LR+ sez that
"View attachment 622220

Tesla makes J1772, CHAdeMO and CCS adapters to allow you to plug into most commonly used public charging stations in your region."

Maybe it will be released in the near future.
I wonder if that's a general manual that's also issued in the EU where Tesla has released a CCS (type 2) adapter.