Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine today as well. (2015 M S90D). Tried it at a blink station. Got one of two errors (tried multiple times) Communications Error and Isolation Fail. (see pics). Sent an email out to Setec. I suspect we're going to be beta testers as they tweak the firmware

Seeing as this adapter is mentioned in multiple sub-forums and threads, may be a Setec only thread should be started? This would help people share information with a 'one stop shop.'
Can you post the address and/or Plugshare link to that station?

Blink is not known for maintaining their equipment properly and it seems they've taken over some locations that used to be owned/managed by other providers (e.g. Blink Charging Acquires U-Go Charging and its Portfolio of EV Charging Stations). That software looks just like what I've seen on EVgo BTC FatBoy DC FCs which I've personally had very mixed experiences with in terms of charger reliability with my Bolt (and it's definitely NOT my car).

I tried again to charge today with the adapter on my 2013 Model S and received the same error messages as I did yesterday with my Model 3. I have sent Setec an email asking to start the refund process, and if they don't cooperate, then I'll contact PayPal and open a dispute. My expectations are higher than zero success with four tries and two cars.

I will post here with more information as it develops...My advice to others is not to buy this adapter for now...

Decided not to pursue that. This is obviously a bigger issue than "you plugged it in wrong"...It's pretty clear that they didn't do any testing here in the US before marketing the adapter or they would have seen these errors right up front. I'm not interested in being a firmware guinea pig with multiple trips to the charging station for testing, etc (I paid a lot for the adapter and just expected it to work). Plus, there's also the possibility of something going wrong in the troubleshooting and firmware tweaking process and damaging the car when using a non-functional adapter multiple times. It's just not worth the risk and time to me...

FYI: The CCS standard requires a motorized connector latch be engaged before charging can start. Does the Setec even have a motorized latch? If not then it's dangerous. If the cable were pulled out while under 200A there could be an arc-over and explosion. This is why CCS, CHAdeMO and Tesla all have a motorized latch that prevents the handle from being removed until the current falls to zero.

I'm confused. I thought the latch was part of the car, not part of the connector that goes into the car. Do I have that wrong?

I'm confused. I thought the latch was part of the car, not part of the connector that goes into the car. Do I have that wrong?
He's talking about something to lock the CCS plug/handle to the adapter in the same way the charging lock is on (above) the round portion of a CCS inlet.

See 2nd and 3rd videos at Tesla needs to move to CCS in North America for what the silver-colored metal piece that theoertically locks the handle to the car on my Bolt.

Reactions: henderrj
Can you post the address and/or Plugshare link to that station?

Blink is not known for maintaining their equipment properly and it seems they've taken over some locations that used to be owned/managed by other providers (e.g. Blink Charging Acquires U-Go Charging and its Portfolio of EV Charging Stations). That software looks just like what I've seen on EVgo BTC FatBoy DC FCs which I've personally had very mixed experiences with in terms of charger reliability with my Bolt (and it's definitely NOT my car).
Rutters in Mountville PA - former EVGo charger

Reactions: cwerdna
I tried again to charge today with the adapter on my 2013 Model S and received the same error messages as I did yesterday with my Model 3. I have sent Setec an email asking to start the refund process, and if they don't cooperate, then I'll contact PayPal and open a dispute. My expectations are higher than zero success with four tries and two cars.

I will post here with more information as it develops...My advice to others is not to buy this adapter for now...
Let us know what Setec says..

He's talking about something to lock the CCS plug/handle to the adapter in the same way the charging lock is on (above) the round portion of a CCS inlet.

See 2nd and 3rd videos at Tesla needs to move to CCS in North America for what the silver-colored metal piece that theoertically locks the handle to the car on my Bolt.

Okay, that's embarrassingly obvious!

Is there some reason you think they don't have the lock?
I don't see any sort of lock from glancing thru the pics from jmbloom_m3p (posts 439 and 440). if it were present, it'd expect it to above the part the SAE Combo handle latches onto.

That said, I was surprised when I pressed the trigger on the SAE Combo handle attached to my Bolt (2nd video of Tesla needs to move to CCS in North America) that I was actually able to (as opposed to being mechanically blocked). The DC FCing stopped and the Bolt's charging lock released. I'd never done that before and figured it'd be mechanically blocked.

On other vehicles (non-GM) which lock the J1772 handle to the car when AC charging (e.g. some e-Golfs, HyunKias, BMW i3, BMW 3 and 5-series PHEVs, Volvo PHEVs, and a few others), there isn't usually enough upwards allowed tang movement to trigger the proximity switch in the J1772 handle, let alone the ability to disconnect. Those cars mechanically block the tang via a pin that extends or other mechanism.

I can't speak to the behavior of those cars on DC FCs, where applicable. We don't have DC FCs at my work, only (tons of) L2 EVSEs + Tesla wall connectors + some NEMA 5-20 plugs under another building.

Last edited:
Refund in progress via PayPal...

Note: Setec website has changed. When I ordered in early December, price was $660 delivered. Now it says price is $980 and it is on sale for $660 through 1/1/21. Recommend not purchasing until issues are resolved and adapter is proven to work...

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken
Yes, the lock is only required for DC. If you open an AC circuit, the current stops flowing 120 times a second (in the US), so this generally helps break any arcs, whereas on DC this is not the case. Having an explosion/fire start if someone unplugs the connector doesn't sound like good outcome. I don't think Setec knows what they are doing.
There is no need for a lock, just a place for the charger side connection to latch to. The charger cuts the current when you press the latch release. Not all cars lock the connector for DC charging, but they all latch.

Reactions: jsmay311
There is no need for a lock, just a place for the charger side connection to latch to. The charger cuts the current when you press the latch release. Not all cars lock the connector for DC charging, but they all latch.

I have been told that with the voltage and current levels involved, the cutoff systems available may not be able to act quickly enough to ensure safety without the locking mechanisms.

I have been told that with the voltage and current levels involved, the cutoff systems available may not be able to act quickly enough to ensure safety without the locking mechanisms.
Probably best to have a physical lock to prevent disconnection of the plug with power applied. You're dealing with high voltage and current (even with L2) and you can get arcing, sparks, fire, disaster.

I have actually developed with CCS. The electromechanical interlock is most definitely required. Show me a production car anywhere that doesn't have such a device on it's DCFC connector. Once the vehicle detects that current has stopped flowing it will release the interlock. Depending on the charger, pressing the release button will request an immediate charge stop. (change in proximity state)

Again, this isn't needed for standard AC charging.