Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah... I'm a bit bummed that once they release the adapter... pre 2020 (?) Model 3s (which are a large amount) will need a retrofit before being able to charge CCS. hopefully the Mobile Ranger can do the retrofit (?) and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

TBH though... i have yet to see a routing which would be doable with CCS but not doable with the Supercharger network here in the US.
Ah, that sucks. I'm bummed too. I wonder why that is?

I wonder how much a Tesla retrofit would cost....
I think the European upgrade was like $200-250? So with the $250 for the adapter if the price is similar to the South Korean adapter (converted to USD), it'd be about $500ish dollars--just about the same or slightly more expensive than the Chademo adapter for over 2x the speed. But we'll have to see when they start actually offering it, hopefully soon.

I think the European upgrade was like $200-250? So with the $250 for the adapter if the price is similar to the South Korean adapter (converted to USD), it'd be about $500ish dollars--just about the same or slightly more expensive than the Chademo adapter for over 2x the speed. But we'll have to see when they start actually offering it, hopefully soon.
It was €500 (which is around $565) including the cost of the adapter, but they dropped it to €299 (around $340) later. Adapter alone was €170 (around $190).
Tesla slashes price of CCS retrofit for Model S and Model X

Well, we can compare to what Tesla did in Europe for a similar product/service. When the CCS2 adapter was first made available in Europe in mid 2019, the adapter alone was being sold for 170 € (~$190). Newer Model S/X cars already had the right charge port controller board to be able to use the adapter alone, but older vehicles needed this same type of retrofit. The complete package for them, retrofit+adapter, was being sold for 500 € (~$565). A little more than a year later the price for the full package dropped to 300 € (~$340) and I think is now down to about 250 €.

This new adapter for CCS1 is being sold in Korea for ~$255, so it's about $65 more expensive than the European one was. All together, I wouldn't be surprised to see a full retrofit+adapter being sold for between $400-$700. I expect that the initial price will be towards the higher end of that range (my personal guess is $599) and will drop starting a year or more after initial availability.

If it was just copper there would be dozens of third party solutions…..
It’s pretty likely that, since the CCS modem is in the vehicle, we see some third-party options pop up once the vehicle software to enable them is distributed a bit more widely (plus manufacturing lead times, etc.). The question is whether Tesla will price their adapter high enough to let other companies make a profit but still be a cheaper option, or if Tesla counts on quantity to drive their cost down and price out competitors.

Reactions: kayak1 and jsight
It’s funny I was going to sell my chademo adapter as the price of used ones has gone uts since they have been discontinued and wait tk buy a CCS

Glad I didn’t as the weather is cold here and there are tons of chademos around so don’t want to go through a winter without other dc charging options.

Hopefully once I get a ccs the chademo will still have a value

Reactions: kayak1
I will be holding on to my CHAdeMO adapter, there are a lot of chargers on (for example) the West Coast Electric Highway that are CHAdeMO ONLY. Currently they are free, I just did a few trips north, including the latest I went to the Canadian border and back to the Bay Area for free (well, Eureka wasn't free, and Mt. Shasta going up, but the rest of the trip there was no Supercharging involved).

WA_OR_Charging-Map.png

I will be holding on to my CHAdeMO adapter, there are a lot of chargers on (for example) the West Coast Electric Highway that are CHAdeMO ONLY. Currently they are free, I just did a few trips north, including the latest I went to the Canadian border and back to the Bay Area for free (well, Eureka wasn't free, and Mt. Shasta going up, but the rest of the trip there was no Supercharging involved).

That is pretty good! I drove from the Bay Area to the Seattle area over the week of Thanksgiving and then back. Spent $143.53 in Supercharging, and an additional $17.50 at EVgo. If I'd driven our Volt at, say, 40 mpg, it would have been about $200 in gas. (Of course I'd MUCH rather drive the Model 3.)

That is pretty good! I drove from the Bay Area to the Seattle area over the week of Thanksgiving and then back. Spent $143.53 in Supercharging, and an additional $17.50 at EVgo. If I'd driven our Volt at, say, 40 mpg, it would have been about $200 in gas. (Of course I'd MUCH rather drive the Model 3.)
If you'd had a CCS adaptor you could have taken advantage of Electrify America's free Thanksgiving charging. I did 550 miles for free on the way home in my Niro.

If you'd had a CCS adaptor you could have taken advantage of Electrify America's free Thanksgiving charging. I did 550 miles for free on the way home in my Niro.

I'll likely buy the Tesla CCS adapter when it is officially released. Though my car is a 2018 build that will need the charge port electronics upgraded in order to work.

Forgot to mention that I L2 charged overnight on the way to Seattle, but didn't on the way back. That added an extra $15.54 to the return trip. (Or saved a comparable amount on the outbound drive - depending on point of view.)

Last edited:

WA_OR_Charging-Map.png

These CHAdeMO only chargers are being replaced.

ARCADIA, Calif. (August XX, 2021) – EV Charging Solutions (EVCS), one of the largest electric vehicle (EV) fast charging network operators on the West Coast, today announced that they are approved and funded by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) to upgrade 44 and add three new electric vehicle charging stations on the Oregon portion of the original West Coast Electric Highway (WCEH). Eleven of the 47 stations will be called “superstations” and will include three DC fast chargers and one Level 2 AC charger. In all, more than 100 charging ports will be upgraded or added.

This upgrade will replace existing CHAdeMO-only DC fast chargers with new DC fast chargers that have both CCS-combo and CHAdeMO DCFC charging capability, which will allow all Oregon EV drivers to use the WCEH stations. The existing Level 2 AC chargers will also be replaced with new equipment. Another new feature will be a 110V outlet for e-bikes and e-scooters. For Tesla drivers, a CHAdeMO adaptor will be available for use at all EVCS stations.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
These CHAdeMO only chargers are being replaced.

Unfortunately, that press release didn't say what power output the new chargers will deliver.

Reactions: kayak1