Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking for the post where someone actually showed the difference in the board with the CCS chip and without, but I can't find it. I would be willing to look if I knew what I was looking for.
You can actually tell just based on the part number, which should be printed on the sticker on the plastic housing. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if you can get yours, it will be easy to determine.

Actually the part numbers are both on EPC, still. Gen 4 is CCS capable. Gen 3 is not.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 9.30.43 AM.png

This video shows a board where he points to the chip that makes CCS possible, at about 8:20 in the video:

That's it. In my mind I was looking for a photo not a video.

I have the 3rd party cargo cover installed which covers the panels to get into the back. I'll have to see what it will take to get that off before I can get in there. It kept coming off so I reenforced the 3m tape that came with the cover to keep it from coming loose all the time. :-/

I'm assuming that the part would be behind one of the panels in the cargo area directly behind from the charging port. He doesn't really show how it came out in the video.

It looks like one can order it without a VIN.

I do see that people have listed them on eBay in the past. ~$125
I'd recommend waiting until Tesla officially releases the CCS adapter in the US before upgrading. It's possible Tesla's upgrade charge for the necessary part and labor would be less than what you'd pay buying on eBay and then paying Tesla to configure it. In the past, we paid to upgrade some of our AP2 cameras, only to find out Tesla will now swap them out for free. We also found that parts were often cheaper new from Tesla than buying used on eBay.

Last edited:
It looks like one can order it without a VIN.

I do see that people have listed them on eBay in the past. ~$125
Yes but it requires a gateway configuration change that you cannot do yourself. I assume, like others above, that Tesla will offer retrofits relatively cheaply. But that is still not ideal for the folks who are potentially taking delivery of brand new cars without CCS. If Tesla has a shortage of Gen 4 ECUs, that bottleneck has to clear up before a retrofit program even starts.

I'd recommend waiting until Tesla officially releases the CCS adapter in the US before upgrading. It's possible Tesla's upgrade charge for the necessary part and labor would be less than what you'd pay buying on eBay and then paying Tesla to configure it. In the past, we paid to upgrade some of our AP2 cameras, only to find out Tesla will now swap them out for free. We also found that parts were often cheaper new from Tesla than buying used on eBay.
I plan on waiting until.
1. They are shipping the CCS adapter.
2. I know if I have the CCS controller or now. (Pending a software update to figure it out one way or another).
3. Knowing the cost of the CCS adapter vs the cost of the CCS adapter with the controller upgrade directly from Tesla

FYI it's my understanding that if you swap the controller when the car has a pending software upgrade you won't need to have Tesla reprogram the car for it. You swap the controller then let the software upgrade take care of the new controller.

Perhaps we should start a spreadsheet to record all of these datapoints, maybe an Admin could turn this into a Wiki

3/20 Y No, 6/20 Y Yes, 7/20 Y Yes, 12/20 Y Yes, 6/21 Y Yes, 9/21 Y No, 10/21 Y No
Added new entries, removed the Y as this thread is in the Model Y section and no one is posting about their 3, although my 2018 3 is a No.

3/20 No, 4/20 Yes, 6/20 Yes, 7/20 Yes, 9/20 Yes, 12/20 Yes, 5/21 Yes, 6/21 Yes, 7/21 No, 9/21 No, 10/21 No