Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Performance S shows CCS adapter support enabled.

29C0FC1B-A7CA-4555-A2E7-E26AA527CB45.jpeg

You should be more specific… as far as I can tell, there are 3 options the UI will report for CCS adapter support:
  • “Enabled”,
  • “Not installed”
  • “Not supported”

@tps5352 you should update your graph to show the 3 possibilities.
I haven’t seen any photos of the vehicle info screen that say “Not supported”. Only “Enabled” and “Not installed”.

If there are any photos that show “Not supported”, can someone share a link?

Preliminary pattern(s) already emerging. More data needed. View attachment 747538

Christmas update of our simple CCS (North American) compatibility poll:

CCS1 Compatibility - 12-25-21.jpg

Collecting data this way can be a little haphazard:
  • Dates provided can be date car was delivered (and papers signed), date produced (may be weeks or months earlier), or something else. Some include day; some not. Need consistency. (Have ended up using date-delivered, but date-manufactured would be better.)
  • Easy to introduce errors (I've found a few of my own).
  • Issue of "enabled," "not supported," or "not installed" which I ignored (apologies if it turns out to be important).
But this is just an informal sample. So far the pattern seems to agree, for the most part, with Post #672 (by AlexUS), who I think said:

Models 3 & Y

- 2018 - February 2020: CCS adapter not supported (Gen3 ECU; PN 1092755)
- March 2020 - June 2021: CCS adapter supported (Gen4 ECU; PN 1537264)
- July 2021 and later: CCS adapter not supported (again?)

Models S & X

- 2012 - 2019: CCS adapter not supported (relatively simple hardware retrofits and software updates available for Europe and North America to fix this)
- 2020 and later: CCS adapter supported right from the factory

Last edited:

Collecting data this way can be a little haphazard:
  • Dates provided can be date car was delivered (and papers signed), date produced (may be weeks or months earlier), or something else. Some include day; some not. Need consistency. (Have ended up using date-delivered, but date-manufactured would be better.)
  • Easy to introduce errors (I've found a few of my own).
  • Issue of "enabled," "not supported," or "not installed" which I ignored (apologies if it turns out to be important).
But this is just an informal sample. So far the pattern seems to agree, for the most part, with Post #672 (by AlexUS), who I think said:

Models 3 & Y

- 2018 - February 2020: CCS adapter not supported (Gen3 ECU; PN 1092755)
- March 2020 - June 2021: CCS adapter supported (Gen4 ECU; PN 1537264)
- July 2021 and later: CCS adapter not supported (again?)

Models S & X

- 2012 - 2019: CCS adapter not supported (relatively simple hardware retrofits and software updates available for Europe and North America to fix this)
I have a 2022 LR Y and got CCS support enabled

Models S & X

I have a Nov 2019 Build Date, 2020 Model Year Model X and it does not have CCS support.

According to this video, the required Power Line Communication (PLC) chip for CCS protocol communication has been installed in the charge port board since "late 2019/early 2020".

It's a great technical video on the Tesla charge port and charging protocols, worth a watch!

Last edited:
Reactions: cstork
According to this video, the required Power Line Communication (PLC) chip for CCS protocol communication has been installed in the charge port board since "late 2019/early 2020".

The full quote for some additional context:

"We'll probably see [CCS charging] in the US, but it will only work cars built, I think, since, uh, sometime in late 2019, maybe early 2020, when they switched to the updated ECU that has the [PLC] capability."

Reactions: kishkaru
The full quote for some additional context:

"We'll probably see [CCS charging] in the US, but it will only work cars built, I think, since, uh, sometime in late 2019, maybe early 2020, when they switched to the updated ECU that has the [PLC] capability."
…Which is why it is important a list/spreadsheet tracking this makes a distinction between “not supported” (pre 2020) and “not installed” (post 2020). One can NOT be upgraded to support CCS, the other can be upgraded.

At the moment, it seems like “Enabled” only shows on cars in a 2020 to mid/late 2021 window. (for 3 and Y at least) The rest of us in the “not installed” category will need to get a service appointment to have CCS support installed if we want it. Early model 3 owners appear to be out of luck.

Last edited:
…Which is why it is important a list/spreadsheet tracking this makes a distinction between “not supported” (pre 2020) and “not installed” (post 2020). One can NOT be upgraded to support CCS, the other can be upgraded.

At the moment, it seems like “Enabled” only shows on cars in a 2020 to mid/late 2021 window. (for 3 and Y at least) The rest of us in the “not installed” category will need to get a service appointment to have CCS support installed if we want it. Early model 3 owners appear to be out of luck.
We are not sure there are any cars with the specific message "Not supported", it may just be people paraphrasing what they saw, that's why people here are asking for photos of anything that doesn't say "Enabled" or "Not installed"

My Pre-2020 shows "Not installed". This is a September 2018 Long Range Dual Motor

Attachments

• Sep2018.png
    Sep2018.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 69
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
We are not sure there are any cars with the specific message "Not supported", it may just be people paraphrasing what they saw, that's why people here are asking for photos of anything that doesn't say "Enabled" or "Not installed"

My Pre-2020 shows "Not installed". This is a September 2018 Long Range Dual Motor
Right, I don't think there is any evidence there is an actual "not supported" message.