Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. If I understand correctly, your adapter is heavily custom-modified - almost effectively custom-made (by you, well done!) - but that is beyond the capacity and/or level of comfort of most of us. What the standard throughput will be in North America for a Tesla-made or Tesla-sanctioned CCS adapter is not yet clear. My fear is that it will be far lower than what you are getting, but I am hoping that this does not have to be the case. I guess that we will have to stay tuned.

People who have gotten their hands on the Tesla CCS1 adapter out of Korea have reported that it’s a simple pass-through adapter. And @rhuber explained in another thread that he reworked his adapter to also be a pass-through adapter, so it should operate no differently than the Tesla adapter.

SO (and apologies if I missed this) have users reported successful use of the Korea Tesla adapters in North America ? My LR shows CCS ENABLED so I would think there was nothing special about the one being sold there vs the one that will be sold in NA ?
I think there's been relatively limited testing, as it's been difficult to get Korean adapters in the US. However, the tests I'm aware of seem to have gone well:

It's interesting that test on a Model Y showed only 110 kW peak on a 350 kW PetroCanada station, compared to @rhuber's tests with a few home-modified passthrough adapters which got IIRC a ~220 kW peak on 350 kW Electrify America stations. Sadly, the lack of widely available first or third party pass-through adapters for testing means it's sort of a question mark for the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have access to getting one from Korea but think I will hang as it seems relatively imminent that they will launch in North America. The price in Korea is about $ 250 USD ( $ 325 CAD ) which seems very decent and just in case there IS some difference.

I have access to getting one from Korea but think I will hang as it seems relatively imminent that they will launch in North America. The price in Korea is about $ 250 USD ( $ 325 CAD ) which seems very decent and just in case there IS some difference.
If you have a line on one, I'd take it. At the very least, you can provide more data for investigations and then probably flip it to somebody here in the US.

Guys, an update on the EVHUB US to CCS passive adapter:

A group of friends in Brazil just bought this adapter and we tested it on a refreshed 2021 Model S Plaid (US made), with updated firwmare 2021.44, and with the "CCS Adapter support: Enabled".

It didn't work. The car shows immediately an error asking to "try a different charger".

The error is exactly the same as if tried on a Model Y without the compatible CCS hardware.

We will do further testing on other cars and will post updates.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and israndy
It sounds like these might be super popular once they hit the market. At the moment I have a bunch of Kia Soul and Nissan Leaf owners bitching at me for using a CHAdeMO charger when there are dedicated Tesla chargers around the planet, wonder what it's gonna be like when Teslas start showing up at all the cheap CCS chargers keeping Audis and BMWs and Chevys and Hyundais and Jaguars and Mercedes and Fiats and Fords and Polestars and VWs and Volvos from charging.

A group of friends in Brazil just bought this adapter and we tested it on a refreshed 2021 Model S Plaid (US made), with updated firwmare 2021.44, and with the "CCS Adapter support: Enabled".

It didn't work. The car shows immediately an error asking to "try a different charger".

The error is exactly the same as if tried on a Model Y without the compatible CCS hardware.

Isn't this one @rhuber tried? I think he said there was a pin problem with it: something's not passed through the way it should and it makes the car unhappy:

• Informative
It will be bad. I was a snob driving a BMW (so my wife says) and at least in the Supercharger circle you are with friends. Now we will showing up hogging 'other' chargers. Hopefully the opening of the Supercharger network to non-Tesla helps alleviate their aggravation and then they will join the frustrated masses waiting for TPC to CCS adapters so they can USE a Supercharger :cool:

It sounds like these might be super popular once they hit the market. At the moment I have a bunch of Kia Soul and Nissan Leaf owners bitching at me for using a CHAdeMO charger when there are dedicated Tesla chargers around the planet, wonder what it's gonna be like when Teslas start showing up at all the cheap CCS chargers keeping Audis and BMWs and Chevys and Hyundais and Jaguars and Mercedes and Fiats and Fords and Polestars and VWs and Volvos from charging.
I'd welcome them, since it helps the economics of the demand charging and would maybe get EA and others to ramp up their rate of station installation (and maybe get EA in particular to add the extra stalls a lot of stations are built for-but-not-with: a lot of sites have space and conduit for more cabinets and stalls). Over the holiday travels, I saw a Y pull into a station I was at that was busy and I just about jumped out of my car to go see their adapter. Sadly, it was just a confused new owner with only the J1772 adapter...

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1 and mociaf9

Correct, this is the error I had and the reason I had to do an invasive modification of mine to make it work on the Plaid. I believe @AlexUA is working on an update for the adapter.

Reactions: jsight
For the Leaf, it's kind of Nissan's fault for going with a dead end standard and not working on alternative options for those stuck with a CHAdeMO port. CHAdeMO support will be a headache going forward as charging networks start to leave them unmaintained. Tesla worked to make their cars "omnivores" in terms of charging, such that it can charge in pretty much the widest variety of charging stations out there today (including various 120/240V sockets), but none of the other automakers bothered.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and kayak1
For the Leaf, it's kind of Nissan's fault for going with a dead end standard and not working on alternative options for those stuck with a CHAdeMO port. CHAdeMO support will be a headache going forward as charging networks start to leave them unmaintained. Tesla worked to make their cars "omnivores" in terms of charging, such that it can charge in pretty much the widest variety of charging stations out there today (including various 120/240V sockets), but none of the other automakers bothered.

That's fair, but its hardly a consolation for an Uber driver that is just trying to use the car he bought.

Well, from the high view, it should be possible to make a CCS to CdM adapter that could power the Leaf, which is really the only car that has to worry, as most people don't road trip in the other CdM cars. The adapter would need to be smart, possibly with its own battery in it to run the locking mechanisms and translate the protocols, so it might cost a bunch and be limited to 50kw or less -- but if that's all you have, it's what you will do. Or what would be better would be if the charging stations just had those adapters available in a lockbox for rent, since there are more cars than charging stations, at least for now. Nissan has already started using CCS in new cars.
Unless there's some dark secret I don't know that would make this adapter impossible.

The other nice thing would be if Tesla made it easier for EA and other DC Fast operators to put Tesla cables on them. It seems that is in Tesla's interest (no need to build out supercharger) and the charging station's interest (2/3rds of the cars out there are Teslas.)

Reactions: Sporty and e of pi
Well, from the high view, it should be possible to make a CCS to CdM adapter that could power the Leaf, which is really the only car that has to worry, as most people don't road trip in the other CdM cars. The adapter would need to be smart, possibly with its own battery in it to run the locking mechanisms and translate the protocols, so it might cost a bunch and be limited to 50kw or less -- but if that's all you have, it's what you will do. Or what would be better would be if the charging stations just had those adapters available in a lockbox for rent, since there are more cars than charging stations, at least for now. Nissan has already started using CCS in new cars.
Unless there's some dark secret I don't know that would make this adapter impossible.
The thing is there are zero signs Nissan is working on such a thing. They have switched to CCS for the newer models like the Ariya, but for the 2022 Leaf you are still stuck with CHAdeMO. Even if they don't get an adapter going, offering a CCS retrofit probably is another option, but again no signs Nissan has any plans. They would probably have to first switch the Leaf to CCS, but again no peep about plans for that.

In this reddit thread, someone mentioned someone actually worked on a CHAdeMO / CCS adapter and the largest charging network in the Netherlands, Fastned, told the person to never put that adapter near one of their chargers.
The other nice thing would be if Tesla made it easier for EA and other DC Fast operators to put Tesla cables on them. It seems that is in Tesla's interest (no need to build out supercharger) and the charging station's interest (2/3rds of the cars out there are Teslas.)
I think given how relatively cheap the CCS adapter is, it probably is unnecessary. They can probably just chain one to every charger and call it a day.

EVGo did something similar using the CHAdeMO adapter and then recently have switched to putting the adapter into a box and using a longer Tesla cable (which Tesla probably supplied if they didn't modify it themselves).

There is a literally a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter inside the box the CHAdeMO is plugged into (Tesla charging doesn't work unless that CHadeMO connector is plugged into the box on the side):
evgo-station-with-tesla-connector.webp

EVgo station with Tesla connector | InsideEVs Photos
Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging

At most maybe add a third CCS cable and then glue/attach an adapter permanently to one of them (the stations may need to maintain having two CCS cables because CCS cars don't have standardized port locations).

Last edited:
The thing is there are zero signs Nissan is working on such a thing. They have switched to CCS for the newer models like the Ariya, but for the 2022 Leaf you are still stuck with CHAdeMO. Even if they don't get an adapter going, offering a CCS retrofit probably is another option, but again no signs Nissan has any plans. They would probably have to first switch the Leaf to CCS, but again no peep about plans for that.

In this reddit thread, someone mentioned someone actually worked on a CHAdeMO / CCS adapter and the largest charging network in the Netherlands, Fastned, told the person to never put that adapter near one of their chargers.

I think given how relatively cheap the CCS adapter is, it probably is unnecessary. They can probably just chain one to every charger and call it a day.

EVGo did something similar using the CHAdeMO adapter and then recently have switched to putting the adapter into a box and using a longer Tesla cable (which Tesla probably supplied if they didn't modify it themselves).

There is a literally a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter inside the box the CHAdeMO is plugged into (Tesla charging doesn't work unless that CHadeMO connector is plugged into the box on the side):
evgo-station-with-tesla-connector.webp

EVgo station with Tesla connector | InsideEVs Photos
Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging

At most maybe add a third CCS cable and then glue/attach and adapter permanently to one of them (the stations may need to maintain having two CCS cables because CCS cars don't have standardized port locations).
They probably doesn't even need a to be a fancy adapter. Just put a Tesla connector on the end of the cable, since the car is compatible with CCS communication.

For the Leaf, it's kind of Nissan's fault for going with a dead end standard and not working on alternative options for those stuck with a CHAdeMO port.
No, you can partly blame folks like VW-owned EA for sabotaging CHAdeMO in the US, forcing the hand of automakers to choose CCS1. This seemed to be VW AG's motive all along.

Leaf shipped in Dec 2010 and came with CHAdeMO inlets and chargers existed before CCS was even finished. It wasn't until several years after Leaf shipped that the first CCS-optional car shipped in the US, the CA compliance car Spark EV (First Car Sold With CCS Fast Charging Now Delayed To December of 2013) that sold in tiny quantities. That was followed by the BMW i3, a company who for many years has not seemed very serious about selling BEVs in the US.

However, given the shift, it is a liability for the US market now that Leaf still only can have CHAdeMO and not CCS.

• Disagree
No, you can partly blame folks like VW-owned EA for sabotaging CHAdeMO in the US, forcing the hand of automakers to choose CCS1. This seemed to be VW AG's motive all along.

Leaf shipped in Dec 2010 and came with CHAdeMO inlets and chargers existed before CCS was even finished. It wasn't until several years after Leaf shipped that the first CCS-optional car shipped in the US, the CA compliance car Spark EV (First Car Sold With CCS Fast Charging Now Delayed To December of 2013) that sold in tiny quantities. That was followed by the BMW i3, a company who for many years has not seemed very serious about selling BEVs in the US.

However, given the shift, it is a liability for the US market now that Leaf still only can have CHAdeMO and not CCS.
I don't blame Nissan for going for a CHAdeMO port in 2010 when things were far from clear, but when they decided to switch to CCS with the Arirya in 2020 (effectively putting the nail in the coffin for CHAdeMO), they should have started working on contingency plans for existing Leaf owners and transitioning the Leaf to CCS. It's now 2022 and it seems they still have zero plans on what to do about Leaf owners holding the bag.

EA is a factor, but they only came into play in 2017 (the first station wasn't built until May 2018) and they were only one of the networks.

By 2018 you had the Ioniq, the Bolt, i3, e-Golf, Clarity all using CCS, while only the Leaf, Soul and iMIEV was using CHAdeMO. The Soul was killed off for 2020 model year for US market, but Kia switched it to CCS for other markets, leaving only the Leaf and iMIEV. The writing was already on the wall by the time EA started building their stations (which did still have CHAdeMO, even though it's in smaller proportion), and they had plenty of justification to focus on CCS given CHAdeMO failed to attract other automakers to adopt it (or even to just keep using it).

Fuel Economy

By end of 2020, well after Nissan announced the move to CCS, EA still only had 500 stations in operation.
https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/120
From a quick search, in 2017 (before EA launched) there were already 3441 non-Tesla DC fast charging stations.
EV Charging Statistics – EVAdoption
So I'm not really seeing how EA was the critical factor for CHAdeMO's failure. It was already on the way out (even Nissan knew that to be the case) before EA was a major factor.

By 2018 you had the Ioniq, the Bolt, i3, e-Golf, Clarity all using CCS, while only the Leaf, Soul and iMIEV was using CHAdeMO. The Soul was killed off for 2020 model year for US market, but Kia switched it to CCS for other markets, leaving only the Leaf and iMIEV. The writing was already on the wall by the time EA started building their stations (which did still have CHAdeMO, even though it's in smaller proportion), and they had plenty of justification to focus on CCS given CHAdeMO failed to attract other automakers to adopt it (or even to just keep using it).

So I'm not really seeing how EA was the critical factor for CHAdeMO's failure. It was already on the way out (even Nissan knew that to be the case) before EA was a major factor.
For the US, Ioniq EV was for ages a virtual So Cal only near vaporware with TINY sales numbers. It took ages to spread to CARB emission states. Look at Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: Historical Charts.

e-Golf was a CARB compliance car. Good luck getting one outside CARB states. It's discontinued. Clarity BEV was also a compliance car with puny range and lease only. It went away in 2020: Honda Clarity Going Out Of Production Due To Weak Demand: Report.

Sure it was a contributing factor. No other US non-Tesla DC FC major provider was putting on such a stitled ratio of CCS vs. CHAdeMO and doing 150 or 350 kW CCS vs. 50 kW CHAdeMO (e.g. 5 to 7 CCS vs. 1 CHAdeMO). The one that takes the cake has 27 CCS vs. 1 CHAdeMO. I do not know of any EA sites with >1 CHAdeMO, so the proportion is always ranges from pretty screwed to very screwed.

If they put on an equal or more equal ratio and tried just hard to push CHAdeMO to higher charging power and keep their CHAdeMO handles working, do you think automakers selling in the US would automatically gravitate towards CCS? What if they installed 5 to 27 150/350 kW CHAdeMO at each site and 1 50 kW CCS? What do you think automakers would do in the US?

Nissan switching to CCS for Ariya seems obvious. Was cheaper for them to do that vs. spend a ton $ to build out high powered CHAdeMO in the US. VW was already doing that, except only on CCS. If they stuck w/CHAdeMO in the US, Ariya drivers would encounter the same garbage and frustration that other CHAdeMO users have with EA and be limited to 50 kW or so and being hosed if that single CHAdeMO handle or charger is down.

There's not much >50 kW CHAdeMO in the US. Selling a mostly 50 kW DC FCing car in the US when almost everyone else is faster would be pretty dumb.

Regardless of when they put in their first charger and car availability date, it looks like EA was established in late 2016... I wouldn't be surprised if they reached out automakers to tell them their plans about CCS vs. CHAdeMO. And, if automakers planning to build BEVs for the US likely also inquired. After all, the time from product planning to engineering to production of saleable vehicles has a very long time span.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
They probably doesn't even need a to be a fancy adapter. Just put a Tesla connector on the end of the cable, since the car is compatible with CCS communication.
Yeah, it says right on the display if your car is compatible, although I have been at EA charging stations as they stand today and Teslas pull up and the owner spends a bunch of time in the space trying to figure out how to charge there. It would be worse if there was a Tesla plug that then didn't actually work on all Teslas.

Reactions: kayak1 and miimura