Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am guilty (once) as our local Harley dealer has a free DC charger so I thought I would give it a go over the Christmas holidays. I had never heard of CCS and stood there stymied for a few minutes at the 'round peg into a square hole issue'. Took a pic of the charger and ended up educating myself and joining this thread. Being in Canada, getting hold of the CCS adapter is going to open up many more options for us. It is not bad on the beaten path but after that it becomes much more of a challenge

Reactions: Jujuuu and jsight
Yeah, it says right on the display if your car is compatible, although I have been at EA charging stations as they stand today and Teslas pull up and the owner spends a bunch of time in the space trying to figure out how to charge there. It would be worse if there was a Tesla plug that then didn't actually work on all Teslas.
Yeah, I do wonder if that will be a problem. I could see the chargers putting tips on the screen for Tesla drivers if they use the Tesla cable, but obviously that would be more work for them to build those screens. It would also require UI work, which isn't exactly EA's strength.

The other nice thing would be if Tesla made it easier for EA and other DC Fast operators to put Tesla cables on them. It seems that is in Tesla's interest (no need to build out supercharger) and the charging station's interest (2/3rds of the cars out there are Teslas.)
I think given how relatively cheap the CCS adapter is, it probably is unnecessary. They can probably just chain one to every charger and call it a day.

EVGo did something similar using the CHAdeMO adapter and then recently have switched to putting the adapter into a box and using a longer Tesla cable (which Tesla probably supplied if they didn't modify it themselves).

There is a literally a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter inside the box the CHAdeMO is plugged into (Tesla charging doesn't work unless that CHadeMO connector is plugged into the box on the side):
evgo-station-with-tesla-connector.webp

EVgo station with Tesla connector | InsideEVs Photos
Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging

At most maybe add a third CCS cable and then glue/attach an adapter permanently to one of them (the stations may need to maintain having two CCS cables because CCS cars don't have standardized port locations).
The most straightfoward approach is for Tesla to include a CCS1 adapter with every new NA Tesla vehicle sold.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
The most straightfoward approach is for Tesla to include a CCS1 adapter with every new NA Tesla vehicle sold.
There are far more vehicles than CCS stations, by a huge margin. So while the above is straightforward, putting them on the stations is probably vastly cheaper. And there are all the old cars to deal with too, who need adapters and many need new charging controller boards. As such, if you are a station, putting a Tesla cable on it is actually a smarter move than putting a CdM cable on it (which today they mostly do.) All Teslas can then use it regardless of age (except a Roadster) and the adapter, while cheap, won't do that.

Reactions: cdswm3
There are far more vehicles than CCS stations, by a huge margin. So while the above is straightforward, putting them on the stations is probably vastly cheaper. And there are all the old cars to deal with too, who need adapters and many need new charging controller boards. As such, if you are a station, putting a Tesla cable on it is actually a smarter move than putting a CdM cable on it (which today they mostly do.) All Teslas can then use it regardless of age (except a Roadster) and the adapter, while cheap, won't do that.
You have to remember that the operators of these networks don't just think about today or tomorrow, but 10-20 years from now.

They see the tide moving in one direction: toward CCS.

Let's look at the evidence:

• Other automakers decided to jump head-first into BEVs and they all use CCS.
  • The $7.5 billion for EV charging infastructure requires "non-proprietary charging connectors".
  • Tesla said that it will be opening the Supercharger to non-Tesla vehicles.

To these operators, CCS has already won and they are thinking about whatever comes after CCS and how to support it.

Last edited:
For the US, Ioniq EV was for ages a virtual So Cal only near vaporware with TINY sales numbers. It took ages to spread to CARB emission states. Look at Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: Historical Charts.

e-Golf was a CARB compliance car. Good luck getting one outside CARB states. It's discontinued. Clarity BEV was also a compliance car with puny range and lease only. It went away in 2020: Honda Clarity Going Out Of Production Due To Weak Demand: Report.
Doesn't matter if they were compliance cars or not, it was a clearly a trend, which the next year continued, as the Niro, i-Pace, e-tron came out using CCS, then even more cars in 2020. In contrast, there were zero new models having CHAdeMO added, with some even moving away from it.
Sure it was a contributing factor. No other US non-Tesla DC FC major provider was putting on such a stitled ratio of CCS vs. CHAdeMO and doing 150 or 350 kW CCS vs. 50 kW CHAdeMO (e.g. 5 to 7 CCS vs. 1 CHAdeMO). The one that takes the cake has 27 CCS vs. 1 CHAdeMO. I do not know of any EA sites with >1 CHAdeMO, so the proportion is always ranges from pretty screwed to very screwed.

If they put on an equal or more equal ratio and tried just hard to push CHAdeMO to higher charging power and keep their CHAdeMO handles working, do you think automakers selling in the US would automatically gravitate towards CCS? What if they installed 5 to 27 150/350 kW CHAdeMO at each site and 1 50 kW CCS? What do you think automakers would do in the US?
Again, EA was only one provider. Even if they made zero CHAdeMO, they only had 500 stations before even Nissan decided to switch, while there were over 3000+ other stations from other providers. I don't buy that all automakers (including Nissan themselves) picked CCS based on a single charge provider. It seemed obvious to me that CHAdeMO was always doomed to lose, as Nissan even struggled to get CHAdeMO members like Honda to stick with it (that the Clarity Electric used CCS in 2017, again before EA built their first station, was a pretty strong vote of no confidence and a sign of things to come).
Nissan switching to CCS for Ariya seems obvious. Was cheaper for them to do that vs. spend a ton $ to build out high powered CHAdeMO in the US. VW was already doing that, except only on CCS. If they stuck w/CHAdeMO in the US, Ariya drivers would encounter the same garbage and frustration that other CHAdeMO users have with EA and be limited to 50 kW or so and being hosed if that single CHAdeMO handle or charger is down.
It's not just the US, they also switched in Europe, which perhaps is just as important a factor if not more. The EU was always going to strongly favor CCS (even at the government level) and it makes sense for most manufacturers to just go with it, so that it becomes relatively trivial to support both NA and EU markets (plus Korea given Korea decided to switch to CCS officially in 2018).
There's not much >50 kW CHAdeMO in the US. Selling a mostly 50 kW DC FCing car in the US when almost everyone else is faster would be pretty dumb.
Again there are plenty of other charge networks other than EA, but most of them felt no desire to invest in 50kW+ CHAdeMO either. If you look at the vehicle support (basically only the Leaf and iMIEV) it doesn't seem like it makes sense to invest in much more powerful chargers as even the Leaf can get only about 70kW peak (plus all the overheating controversy) and there were no other EVs on the horizon that would use more powerful CHAdeMO. Contrast this with CCS which had plenty of cars and chargers on the horizon that supported 100+KW.
Regardless of when they put in their first charger and car availability date, it looks like EA was established in late 2016... I wouldn't be surprised if they reached out automakers to tell them their plans about CCS vs. CHAdeMO. And, if automakers planning to build BEVs for the US likely also inquired. After all, the time from product planning to engineering to production of saleable vehicles has a very long time span.
That sounds like a huge stretch to me, especially given no evidence to support it. Anyways, regardless of who's "at fault" for CHAdeMO failing, as soon as Nissan announced the switch to CCS, CHAdeMO was pretty much dead in the US, and the ball's in Nissan's court for what to do for those stuck with it.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if they were compliance cars or not, it was a clearly a trend, which the next year continued, as the Niro, i-Pace, e-tron came out using CCS, then even more cars in 2020. In contrast, there were zero new models having CHAdeMO added, with some even moving away from it.
Yep, the main advantage of CCS over CHAdeMO is that it only requires one inlet on the vehicle. Which can be used for both AC and DC charging. My guess is that is the main reason that manufacturers selected CCS over CHAdeMO.

Already on order, actually, but someone else said they got it in this thread, and it didn't work.
EVHub sent me an email today on this issue. They're offering to fix the offending resister (send it to someone in NY/NJ area, and they'll send it back) or give you directions on fixing it, or to give a refund.

Mine got lost in the mail, so I'm trying to follow up on that part of the issue instead.

At current rate of EV sales, chargers of all kinds are going to be super busy. The EA chargers don't have enough stalls to satisfy the upcoming demand. In Northern California, most new Tesla SCs seem to have 12 stalls or more. Most EA chargers seem to have around 4 stalls. Fast forward 2 years, and we are going to see some nasty lines at CCS chargers.

Fast forward 2 years, and we are going to see some nasty lines at CCS chargers.
Yep, but I'd hope that would be self correcting, as more money from charging will cause more people to install chargers.

The giant risk here is that demand charges make faster chargers uneconomical, but:

Hopefully not/hopefully battery buffers can become common enough?

I also have to point to Norway, where they're WAY ahead of us on EV deployment, and lots of ev chargers are being installed by multiple different vendors.

Reactions: kayak1
At current rate of EV sales, chargers of all kinds are going to be super busy. The EA chargers don't have enough stalls to satisfy the upcoming demand. In Northern California, most new Tesla SCs seem to have 12 stalls or more. Most EA chargers seem to have around 4 stalls. Fast forward 2 years, and we are going to see some nasty lines at CCS chargers.
Electrify America's problem is lack of demand, not too much of it.

If there is so much demand, Electrify America could simply add more chargers.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and cdswm3
Guys, an update on the EVHUB US to CCS passive adapter:

A group of friends in Brazil just bought this adapter and we tested it on a refreshed 2021 Model S Plaid (US made), with updated firwmare 2021.44, and with the "CCS Adapter support: Enabled".

It didn't work. The car shows immediately an error asking to "try a different charger".

The error is exactly the same as if tried on a Model Y without the compatible CCS hardware.

We will do further testing on other cars and will post updates.

Following up on the EVHUB CCS adapter:

They answered us that they have made an updated version of their adapter that fixes the issue that @rhuber discovered (resistor and pin that is not passthrough).

This new version should be "electrically equivalent" to the Tesla official adapter and should work for cars with the newer ECUs that have "CCS Enabled" on firmwares 2021.40.6+.

They should have it available shortly.

Electrify America's problem is lack of demand, not too much of it.

If there is so much demand, Electrify America could simply add more chargers.
At several stations, they seem to have made some provisions for this already--looking at the pads in the fenced-off charger area at a couple sites seem to show open spots left and conduit pre-laid for some additional stalls. Between that and their existing ongoing growth plans, I suspect if they did wake up one morning and all their stalls were full of Teslas, they'd be able to activate plans to dramatically grow their network both in stations and total plugs, and indeed with the federal and state funding for EV chargers coming, they may already be thinking about it.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
At several stations, they seem to have made some provisions for this already--looking at the pads in the fenced-off charger area at a couple sites seem to show open spots left and conduit pre-laid for some additional stalls. Between that and their existing ongoing growth plans, I suspect if they did wake up one morning and all their stalls were full of Teslas, they'd be able to activate plans to dramatically grow their network both in stations and total plugs, and indeed with the federal and state funding for EV chargers coming, they may already be thinking about it.
I sure hope you're right. Plenty of EVs are being released and people are going to want to take them on road trips.

Reactions: kayak1
If they put on an equal or more equal ratio and tried just hard to push CHAdeMO to higher charging power and keep their CHAdeMO handles working, do you think automakers selling in the US would automatically gravitate towards CCS?
Yes, absolutely. There is no doubt. That is 100% certain.
What do you think automakers would do in the US?
All of them would have moved toward CCS anyway, regardless of anything EA may or may not have done. It is because of a terminal fatal flaw that CHAdeMO has.
Yep, the main advantage of CCS over CHAdeMO is that it only requires one inlet on the vehicle. Which can be used for both AC and DC charging. My guess is that is the main reason that manufacturers selected CCS over CHAdeMO.
I already had my answer ready to type, but I saw that when I went to the next page, @MP3Mike already described CHAdeMO's problem. It is DC only, so it requires a really big charging port door to fit in two completely separate charging ports into the vehicle, which also requires extra cabling. It is quite simply both cheaper and more convenient to only have to put in one single bulky charge port, rather than one bulky charge port, PLUS another more normal sized charge port next to it. THAT is why all of the auto makers would have moved to CCS anyway. It is just more sensible, practical, and cheaper.

Last edited: