Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose, but if that's the case, why push out the firmware that supports it and notes in the car configuration if it's enabled? They'd apparently been shipping cars in North America with CCS ECUs since 2020, without showing this in the firmware, so why pick a time to start showing it when they weren't going to be ready any time soon to answer about upgrading cars without it and when the adapter would go on sale?
Because it is the same firmware going to cars in South Korea where they are selling the adapter.

It looks like evhub has now fixed the adapter

The adapter will work with any car if:

Software version is 2021.40.6 or later.

CCS adapter support option: Enabled

Please write car manufacture date and model to notes on checkout.

People who got the previous version of adapter that did NOT work probably have to sent it back to evhub to have it fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: kj71109

People who got the previous version of adapter that did NOT work probably have to sent it back to evhub to have it fixed.
Ordered one this morning. Sounds like anticipated ship date is end of Feb.

That is nice, but that is shockingly expensive for a hunk of plastic and a few conductors. Hopefully a third party can make a good one for a reasonable price.

That is nice, but that is shockingly expensive for a hunk of plastic and a few conductors. Hopefully a third party can make a good one for a reasonable price.
Those "few" conductors can carry 500 Amps of current. I would hope that such an adapter is not made cheaply. Also I don't see too many of these flying out the door so they have to make a profit on each one.

Remember that Tesla's adapter is currently priced at $250 USD, so you can see that as a floor for the price but remember economies of scale and if Tesla actually needs to make a profit on each adapter. Tesla though actually has a locking mechanism on theirs.

@Mockingbird dude please please please stop giving people bad info on Reddit.

You speculated like crazy in my original post on the 2000 mile road trip, where I purposefully avoided mentioning the invasive mods done to create a korean adapter clone, and now you're doing it in /r/electricvehicles. I understand that you're excited about CCS, but you're sharing incorrect and misleading information, and folks following your advice are going to be very disappointed when they buy adapters that don't work.

You even speculated (based on ??) that the model 3/Y limit current to 300A, which was completely inaccurate. That has never been the case. The adapter's printed specs mention 300A, but nowhere has that limit ever been enforced.

Just chill the f out and understand why I am avoiding sharing too much info. I'm not trying to withhold information to be a jerk, I'm trying to stop people from buying a thing they absolutely cannot use in its current form, because it will cause way more headaches for everyone if they run off and try to buy this stuff right now.

Edit: and i've been talking to the evhub folks about changes needed and they are working on a new one, but that version does not exist yet.

Those "few" conductors can carry 500 Amps of current. I would hope that such an adapter is not made cheaply. Also I don't see too many of these flying out the door so they have to make a profit on each one.

Remember that Tesla's adapter is currently priced at $250 USD, so you can see that as a floor for the price but remember economies of scale and if Tesla actually needs to make a profit on each adapter. Tesla though actually has a locking mechanism on theirs.
Sure, it is 500 amps, but also really short. That isn't enough copper to really impact the price.

If it were sold by a us company that was backing it with a us warranty, it would be more understandable.

As it is, this is the price of a setec for a much simpler product.

Since the official Tesla adapter will probably cost around $200, what is making people order this? Is it just a belief that Tesla will be many months before they start selling in the USA, and people need it now?
Exactly that. I take a bunch of trips throughout the Midwest on weekends for 3 kids sporting activities. Superchargers are only located in bigger cities.(100,000+ pop.) CHAdeMO adaptors only hit up to 50kW(cost $800+), and this adaptor will give me potentially 3+ times the charge rate. This would be huge for me with CCS adaptors readily available in most smaller towns.(5000+ pop.) Based on Tesla's recent course of delivery of many items with how long items are taking with the supply disruptions, I do not see their adaptor being available soon. I also feel when it does, I would not be notified in time to purchase, and they would be sold out. This was an opportunity for me to get a working CCS adaptor, at a reasonable price to me, in a hopeful timely manor.

If we are to spend this much, is it likely that someone will come up with a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter, for all those Kias, Leafs, and iMievs that went before? I know it would only be 50kWs but it seems like a hurdle that someone should surmount, just to prove it can be done.
Isn't that essentially what the Setec adapter is? It converts CCS1 to CHAdeMO, but with a Tesla connector. I'm not sure if there's an additional CHAdeMO to Tesla messaging conversion, or if that's in the car, but they could just omit that if so.

Reactions: FalconFour

The locking mechanism is mission critical. If some wanker walks by (which they do) and tugs on the plug and pulls it out during a high amperage charge, there could be some excitement.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl and kayak1
The locking mechanism is mission critical. If some wanker walks by (which the do) and tugs on the plug and pulls it out during a high amperage charge, there could be some excitement.
My evhub based adapter has a ridge that the charge handle clicks into. The ccs charge handle acts just like a j1772 handle, which immediately disconnects the pilot pin when the lever is pressed down, immediately stopping the charge process and disabling the high voltage conductors on the car side.

My modified adapter is, in fact, safer than the Setec, which has been criticized for ignoring that pilot signal from the station side and keeping the high voltage lines connected when pressed, which could result in an arc explosion if you unplug the ccs handle during charging.

Last edited:
This was an opportunity for me to get a working CCS adaptor,
It might not work though? I feel like there’s not a lot of confidence that it will, which is a big factor for me in any consideration to buy this.

I do get that the price is “reasonable” though - with all the supply chain shortages and Tesla’s uncertain timelines (“Elon time”) I can definitely see the appeal of this option.

My evhub based adapter has a ridge that the charge handle clicks into. The ccs charge handle acts just like a j1772 handle, which immediately disconnects the pilot pin when the lever is pressed down, immediately stopping the charge process and disabling the high voltage conductors on the car side.

My modified adapter is, in fact, safer than the Setec, which has been criticized for ignoring that pilot signal from the station side and keeping the high voltage lines connected when pressed, which could result in an arc explosion if you unplug the ccs handle during charging.

I guess I was thinking more of the Tesla-style CCS1 one, where it appears that the lock seems to be physically held instead of just the ridge (hence the huge size). But good point about the ridge.

The CCS2 to Tesla type 2 "locks" as well, but due to the nature of how type 2 locks the connector, its a lot slimmer.