Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no such limit. The Tesla adapter has no active circuitry and the car’s ecu allows 500A over ccs.
They could easily program the vehicle to pull a max of 300A when doing CCS1 signaling and 500A when doing CCS2 signaling. It doesn't really matter that the adapter is just a bunch of passthrough pins, what matters is what's on the other side of it. You'd get in trouble if you daisy chained say a CCS1 to CCS2 adapter with a CCS2 to Tesla adapter, and the CCS1 to CCS2 adapter has active circuitry that changes the signaling, but you really shouldn't be doing that anyway.

They could easily program the vehicle to pull a max of 300A when doing CCS1 signaling and 500A when doing CCS2 signaling. It doesn't really matter that the adapter is just a bunch of passthrough pins, what matters is what's on the other side of it. You'd get in trouble if you daisy chained say a CCS1 to CCS2 adapter with a CCS2 to Tesla adapter but you really shouldn't be doing that anyway...
I think we are saying the same thing ? I am just pointing out that the ccs1 adapter from Korea says 300A on the label but if you plug it in to a US car and a 500A ccs1 station, it will pull 500a today. They could limit it however they want, but they currently do not do so.

I think we are saying the same thing ? I am just pointing out that the ccs1 adapter from Korea says 300A on the label but if you plug it in to a US car and a 500A ccs1 station, it will pull 500a today. They could limit it however they want, but they currently do not do so.
...really? Has someone melted an adapter yet? Or are the capabilities of the adapter inconsistent with the label?

...really? Has someone melted an adapter yet? Or are the capabilities of the adapter inconsistent with the label?
The adapter can reportedly handle more without issue. They may just be rating it for continuous use or something with allowed peaks higher. No idea tbh. But the evhub one I have is functionally identical and does 500A, which is why I know the official one will too. I know someone who has one and has confirmed it has no circuitry or even resistors to identify itself to the car. From the vehicle perspective the evhub adapter is indistinguishable from the Tesla one.

Reactions: surma and STS-134
I was planning on hitting my (EVHub) one with a thermal camera next use to get a feel for how well it likes high amps. Worthwhile or have you already done so?
You can try, but I can share a few :) from hot summer day +35Cels
But feel free to add yours
Just put car to low SOC, so amps can be maxed, and battery heated for DC

Those are CCS2, but still on US spec car, so not much difference on that.
It runs to 80-90Cels from the initial 20-25C V2/V3 SC and as amps go down, it not growing anymore further, as SoC goes close to full.

Here is Warsaw SC its V2, it was ~5% Soc all upto 90%+

Here is some really old, from first tests of Supercharger adapter

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kj71109 and wws
I believe you. I acknowledge that it is electronically compatible with the newer Models S and X. (We can verify that now because of the Tesla Holiday firmware updates.) However, I worry* that its size and shape (in photographs) is seemingly not altogether physically compatible with the Models S/X port. Won't the locking pin hit the painted surface of the car next to the port? (Not sure.) And why would the South Korean adapter not be compatible to newer South Korean Models S/X?

Has anyone tried a South Korean adapter in a newer (North American) Model S or X?
______
* Worried because if a different adapter design is necessary for the Models S/X version, it could be slowing up the release.
I don’t know if it will hit the paint or not, but as far as I’m aware, the refresh s/x have not been released in South Korea, which might be why they only list the 3/Y as compatible

Reactions: kayak1
European Tesla Model 3/Y can do 195 kW on Ionity's 350 kW charger.

I wonder if North America Tesla Model 3/Y can pull that off with the CCS1 adapter on Electrify America's 350 kW charger.

@FalconFour did 190 kW on his so sounds about right.

is the one from evhub the same as the official one that's in Korea?
While they are not the exact same design, they are functionally the same. They are both passive adapters that require your car to have the Tesla charging port ECU with CCS support ("CCS Adapter Support: Enabled" in the "Additional Vehicle Information" screen). The car itself does the CCS protocol, it can't tell the difference between these two adapters since both are passive. You can check previous posts in this thread to see the physical difference between the EVHub adapter and the Tesla adapter.

I know! This gets to my Number 1 complaint with Tesla--poor communication; with both individual customers and with the customer base as a whole.

Why not have PR (not you-know-who) establish a reasonable anticipated date (e.g., for CCS1 adapter release)? Then, if delays occur, which is inevitable with all technological activities, why not keep customers reasonably apprised of progress? I think fans would be (more) tolerant.

Instead, the communication vacuum invites rumors, inaccurate information, and resentment. It gives ammunition to Tesla's enemies. Someone at the top levels is listening to bad advice (perhaps in an effort to save money that would otherwise go to a competent PR department).
This was discussed up thread, but it's a very bad idea to give timeline estimates when you are uncertain you can meet them. You can add disclaimers until you are blue in the face, but I guarantee you a large amount of people will still hold you to the original date, and the reporting on it will ignore the caveats. If you are late it will be reported as a delay.

They only make sense if there is a competitor that they are worried about, but I don't think this applies here, given I doubt they plan to make much, if any profit, on this adapter. Nor is the CCS a big enough selling point to really influence car sales much (given they are supply constrained). They have even removed some time estimates from upcoming vehicles, like the Cybertruck (and that one they do have to worry about losing potential customers to competitors).

I believe you. I acknowledge that it is electronically compatible with the newer Models S and X. (We can verify that now because of the Tesla Holiday firmware updates.) However, I worry* that its size and shape (in photographs) is seemingly not altogether physically compatible with the Models S/X port. Won't the locking pin hit the painted surface of the car next to the port? (Not sure.) And why would the South Korean adapter not be compatible to newer South Korean Models S/X?

Has anyone tried a South Korean adapter in a newer (North American) Model S or X?
______
* Worried because if a different adapter design is necessary for the Models S/X version, it could be slowing up the release.
I have a military friend currently in Korea that could order one on my behalf and ship it to me stateside....but like others have said, I don't really have a need for the adapter....just a "cool to have" item.

Reactions: kayak1
While they are not the exact same design, they are functionally the same. They are both passive adapters that require your car to have the Tesla charging port ECU with CCS support ("CCS Adapter Support: Enabled" in the "Additional Vehicle Information" screen). The car itself does the CCS protocol, it can't tell the difference between these two adapters since both are passive. You can check previous posts in this thread to see the physical difference between the EVHub adapter and the Tesla adapter.
Should be interesting to see a report on which adapter stays cooler when it's in use, all else (charge current, etc.) being equal.

Reactions: FalconFour
do you have a moment to hear the good news of our lord and savior Elon Musk and his promises of FSD 😀🙃
And he has been crucified in the media for it (there's a compilation somewhere). But you cut out the important point, the benefit to Tesla there is they got essentially interest free loans in the thousands for that promise (same with the car deposits). For a CCS adapter I doubt they get much of anything by promising a earlier date.

Last edited:
Reactions: FalconFour
FYI this is back in stock at Tesla Korea shop. :)