Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is ChargePoint. But I've seen broken connectors on other brands of EVSEs as well. Most of the broken ones I've seen have been on ChargePoint units, but those are the most numerous around here as well.
I’ve been able to use a broken ChargePoint plug like that but had to pull up on the broken piece since there is a switch underneath that presumably tells the base whether it is plugged in or not. Probably not the best solution! I’ll be checking next time if they have a way to report issues.

Reactions: cwerdna
So seems like the only way to get one stateside is to have a Tesla owner in Korea to order one on your behalf, then have them ship it to you after they receive it. I wonder if my mil friend in Korea has any Tesla-owning Korean friends..... 😆
The issue is that it's a limit 1 per car. Being in Korea they need it more than we do in the states. I don't think that it would be fair to ask them to give up the option of ordering one.

The whole thing is mysterious and annoying. Typical Tesla secrecy (that causes even greater angst among customers).

Why won't Tesla release a desirable accessory that (a) works in South Korea, (b) works (for compatible cars) in North America, and (c) is definitely needed by some drivers in North America (those for whom SCs are not readily available)? Especially perplexing because Tesla removed the only other alternative (the CHAdeMO adapter) months ago (in November).

I am left to think that Tesla wants to release adequate numbers of CCS1 adapters for all models simultaneously, and that the Models S & X version is holding things up. And that Tesla is busy stockpiling adequate supplies of adapters and planning for hardware retrofits of older cars.

Or, could it be that Tesla regards the CCS1 adapter as a low priority product? Its focus is on Superchargers, so not much manpower devoted to the North American CCS project? Opinions?

Frustrating.

The whole thing is mysterious and annoying. Typical Tesla secrecy (that causes even greater angst among customers).

Why won't Tesla release a desirable accessory that (a) works in South Korea, (b) works (for compatible cars) in North America, and (c) is definitely needed by some drivers in North America (those for whom SCs are not readily available)? Especially perplexing because Tesla removed the only other alternative (the CHAdeMO adapter) months ago (in November).
Tesla is busy trying to convince that US DOT/FHWA that Tesla should be able to use public money to install TPC.

Having the CCS adapter in the US would undermind that argument.

I am left to think that Tesla wants to release adequate numbers of CCS1 adapters for all models simultaneously, and that the Models S & X version is holding things up. And that Tesla is busy stockpiling adequate supplies of adapters and planning for hardware retrofits of older cars.

Or, could it be that Tesla regards the CCS1 adapter as a low priority product? Its focus is on Superchargers, so not much manpower devoted to the North American CCS project? Opinions?

Frustrating.
You already said it, it's needed for *some* drivers, but for a vast majority of drivers, superchargers are fine for them. Tesla's supercharger infrastructure is most developed in the USA (for obvious reasons) so it's the last country that actually needs the CCS adapter.

I imagine the infrastructure in South Korea is far less developed. I should point out also, although I haven't followed SK, in Taiwan there are plenty of owners that use superchargers for all their charging, as they don't have home charging. I imagine this is very common in Asian countries, where single family garages are much more rare and suburbs are a rarity or non-existent. For the USA however, the norm is a home garage. That makes such an adapter typically only a convenience feature for longer trips, not an actual barrier to ownership of a Tesla in the first place.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: tps5352

Frustrating.

I assume it’s a supply issue. There are only so many right now and they want everyone whom needs one in South Korea to be able to get one.

Reactions: nhulst and jsight
I see this fairly regularly. If it is charge point, they don't always have maintenance plans in place to fix them either. Sometimes it is up to the host.
By the way, I just got a good look at a Tesla WC with the J1772 connector while shopping and picking up lunch. It's absolute junk compared to the ones with the TPC. The latch on top feels as flimsy as it looks (it is just plastic; I don't think there is any metal whatsoever in there), and of course there's absolutely no button to open the charge port. A much crappier user experience than the TPC & Type2 units.

PXL_20220225_203022248.jpg

PXL_20220225_203050954.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
and of course there's absolutely no button to open the charge port.
Are you saying that you can't press down on the black spot where your thumb would go when holding it? It looks like that would press down to release the latch. (And there is likely a switch under it to trigger the charge stopping and release the connector.)

Or are you saying that it doesn't send the wireless signal to open the charge port door on your car? (Which sort of makes sense given that isn't part of the J1772 standard.) And really it isn't much extra effort to push on the charge port door to open it.

Are you saying that you can't press down on the black spot where your thumb would go when holding it? It looks like that would press down to release the latch. (And there is likely a switch under it to trigger the charge stopping and release the connector.)
If you press down on that black thing, it's not a button. The entire black "button", plus the gray area around it, gets pressed down and the other end of the lever pops up. Basically, it operates like any other J1772 connector except this one happens to have a black circular rubber area to press.
Or are you saying that it doesn't send the wireless signal to open the charge port door on your car? (Which sort of makes sense given that isn't part of the J1772 standard.) And really it isn't much extra effort to push on the charge port door to open it.
Yep, no wireless signal to open the charge port. Which is one of the best features of the TPC and Type2 WC. I've also had a situation where, when I pressed on the lever of the J1772 connector (while using the Tesla adapter), the charge port did not disengage its lock (but the doors to the vehicle were unlocked, so I should have been able to remove the adapter at that point). I had to go into the vehicle and hit "unlock charge port" before I could remove the adapter along with the connector as indicated in the instructions that come with the car. I have never had this happen with a TPC connector.

I assume it’s a supply issue. There are only so many right now and they want everyone whom needs one in South Korea to be able to get one.

The (still developing) rules for purchasing CCS1 adapters in South Korea are probably predictive of how distribution in North America will proceed once CCS1 adapters are released for sale here. E.g.,...
  • Only registered owners will be able to purchase.
  • You’ll only be able to purchase the correct versions(s) for your model-year(s) on record.
  • Only one adapter per registered car per owner.
  • No exporting to other countries.
...and so forth. Hopefully (a) they will make enough to meet demand, (b) have adequate supplies and manpower for retrofits of older cars*, and (c) such rules will prevent wide-scale “scalping.” In time, once the initial demand is met, the sales procedure can settle down to normal.

If I were the Tesla Don, I'd have preliminary inquiries sent out to all (or a sufficiently large sample of) North American owners:
  • Do you plan to buy (for a price ranging, say, from $X to $Y) a CCS1 adapter in 2022? In 2023 or later?
  • Does your car need a retrofit (check the CCS compatibility message located...)?
  • Do you own a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter? If so, how often do you use it?
  • Do you use Superchargers? How often?
Questions like that. Perhaps Tesla has already been using "focus groups" or whatever to predict likely demand? Meanwhile anyone who has not been following this issue and who does not know what a CCS1 adapter is may not need one right away. They can become educated in the normal (Tesla) way, via word-of-mouth (since Tesla doesn't yet advertise widely--that is probably coming if Rivian and Lucid, for example, do well).
_____
* Come to think of it, the hardware retrofit (necessary for certain model-years) will involve switching out that small printed circuit board in the charge-port trunk area, correct? Perhaps that is contributing to the holdup due to the difficulty (all the car companies are experiencing) in getting electrical parts? Or it may not be that specific--just getting adequate numbers of internal parts for the adapters themselves may be holding things up? I know that local dealer showrooms and lots are empty of new cars. So the same backlogs and delays could be affecting the CCS1 adapter development program, perhaps.

Last edited:
The (still developing) rules for purchasing CCS1 adapters in South Korea are probably predictive of how distribution in North America will proceed once CCS1 adapters are released for sale here. E.g.,...
  • Only registered owners will be able to purchase.
  • You’ll only be able to purchase the correct versions(s) for your model-year(s) on record.
  • Only one adapter per registered car per owner.
  • No exporting to other countries.
...and so forth. Hopefully (a) they will make enough to meet demand, (b) have adequate supplies and manpower for retrofits of older cars*, and (c) such rules will prevent wild-scale “scalping.”

If I were the Tesla Don, I'd have preliminary inquiries sent out to all (or a sufficiently large sample of) North American owners:
  • Do you plan to buy (for a price ranging, say, from $X to $Y) a CCS1 adapter in 2022? In 2023 or later?
  • Does your car need a retrofit (check the CCS compatibility message located...)?
  • Do you own a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter? If so, how often do you use it?
  • Do you use Superchargers? How often?
Questions like that. Anyone who has not been following this issue and who does not know what a CCS1 adapter is may not need one right away.
_____
* Come to think of it, the hardware retrofit (necessary for certain model-years) will involve switching out that small printed circuit board in the charge-port trunk area, correct? Perhaps that is contributing to the holdup due to the difficulty (all the car companies are experiencing) in getting electrical parts? Or it may not be that specific--just getting adequate numbers of internal parts for the adapters themselves may be holding things up? I know that local dealer showrooms and lots are empty of new cars. So the same backlogs and delays could be affecting the CCS1 adapter development program, perhaps.

That is why I think we old car owners must help ourselves, not waiting for Tesla's favor. We must be the last priority problem for them to deal with. So please advocate this thought and find any 3rd parties willing to build adapters for old cars.

This is what happens to my country now, Tesla stop to sell the car with TPC (NA connector) and all new cars are CCS2. The newly opened SC Telsa built now only has one or two TPC stalls, which TPC cars maybe count 90% of electrical vehicles in my country. When even I need SC, the TPC stalls are always in line, and other stalls CCS1/2 are almost empty all the time. Telsa just doesn't care about old car owners here. Don't wait for others to help you, just find a way to help ourselves, just like the war happening in east Europe now.

That is why I think we old car owners must help ourselves, not waiting for Tesla's favor. We must be the last priority problem for them to deal with. So please advocate this thought and find any 3rd parties willing to build adapters for old cars.

This is what happens to my country now, Tesla stop to sell the car with TPC (NA connector) and all new cars are CCS2. The newly opened SC Telsa built now only has one or two TPC stalls, which TPC cars maybe count 90% of electrical vehicles in my country. When even I need SC, the TPC stalls are always in line, and other stalls CCS1/2 are almost empty all the time. Telsa just doesn't care about old car owners here. Don't wait for others to help you, just find a way to help ourselves, just like the war happening in east Europe now.
You have an option to purchase a CCS2 adapter today, why aren't people purchasing the adapter instead of waiting in line?

The CCS2 adapter is for Model X/S. I need one for Model 3/Y.
No CCS2 is for Europe, they are readily available:

CCS1 is for Korea, USA, and a few other locations:

Is this work for my NA version Tesla? It seems not TPC (Tesla proprietary connector) to CCS2 and specified for model X / S

This is what happens to my country now..

...old car owners must help ourselves...

Thank you for your informative input. It is very helpful to hear what is happening in other countries. Something similar could conceivably happen here (in North America), although hopefully it will not.

To be fair, it may not be Tesla's fault, entirely. I hear that the Taiwanese government made the decision to switch your Nation to the Type 2/CCS2 standards (for Models S&X and, respectively, Models 3 & Y). Tesla was required to hurriedly change its new cars in a short span of time, I've read. I do not know the details, but perhaps Tesla is forced to provide infrastructure for the new standards (as is what has happened in China with the GB/T standards)? So sorry you do not have adequate resources for the older cars.

I am critical of Tesla for things it deserves (e.g., less-than-adequate communication to customers and owners), but I am not entirely sure that the issues surrounding charging standards are Tesla's doing. Tesla was shut out early on (~2010) by electric-car-manufacturing organizations. So (forced to be) off by itself it developed the (arguably) best standard--the Tesla Proprietary Connector standard (in and for North America). (The one legitimate criticism I've seen is the failure by TPC to support Phase 3 charging.)

Few, if any, of us are privy to the inner workings of the car industries and governments. The (financial, marketing, manufacturing, and political) pressures on and within Tesla to satisfy so far three major markets and their different charging standards (for China, North America, and Europe) has to be tremendous.

Last edited: