Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So has anyone purchased/tried the Korean CCS adapter with a refreshed Tesla Model S? If not, I might for kicks.

Got my CCS1 adapter today. Drove over to my closest CCS-station that happens to be an older EVgo with only 50kW. Arrived with 76% charge and was receiving 36kW right away on a MYP 2022 with 2022.12.1. Happy with the result.

Have a road trip through supercharger no-man land this weekend (east Oklahoma) and will try a 200kW CCS charger and report back.

Now I'm just paranoid that Tesla will block us that have imported an adapter with a SW update. We know Tesla can geofence their software if they want to and release different SW in different regions... BTW, there are no UL or FCC markings on the adapter. Is certification needed for a passive adapter?

Attachments

• IMG-3518.jpg
    IMG-3518.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-3517.jpg
    IMG-3517.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: IdaX
Got my CCS1 adapter today. Drove over to my closest CCS-station that happens to be an older EVgo with only 50kW. Arrived with 76% charge and was receiving 36kW right away on a MYP 2022 with 2022.12.1. Happy with the result.

Have a road trip through supercharger no-man land this weekend (east Oklahoma) and will try a 200kW CCS charger and report back.

Now I'm just paranoid that Tesla will block us that have imported an adapter with a SW update. We know Tesla can geofence their software if they want to and release different SW in different regions... BTW, there are no UL or FCC markings on the adapter. Is certification needed for a passive adapter?
If you're going to east oklahoma, don't count on the charger in Antlers. It's been down forever and no eta on getting fixed. I've used the ones in mcalester and wilburton with my setec adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and Y_4_speed
I just got an email from DELIVERED Team in Korea :[Delivered] Your #9034 not available for purchase
So they can’t get them OR maybe the purchase needs to go through my own Tesla account. That seems likely, I‘m hesitant to do that, in my case I can wait.
You need to purchase the adapter your self and have it delivered to the address they provide for you.

Just had Harum.io place an order for me and it cost $323.63. A bit pricier than MSRP in Korea, but I wasn't able to get any of my credit cards (including a US Amex card) to work for my purchase using Delivered to dropship. I was a bit hesitant to change/give them my credentials, but they have solid reviews it seems. So far so good - I'll report back.

I just realized that I didn’t put #B102 or suite number, does anyone know if that can be edited after ordering?
Doubtful (based on lack of response from anyone in the Tesla Shop department) but you might be able to message Delivered about it. I think the suites are all custom numbers to associate it to your account, so if they are on the outlook for a package with your name you might be fine.

Yeah I just hope my adapter doesn’t get lost
It's all a fun part of the game of buying a Korean product that isn't released in the US yet :D

Honestly still not sure why Tesla hasn't released it yet. Lots of people assume it's so they can stock up on supply or ensure compatibility with US charging networks first, but I really wonder if it is part of their playbook on having their own adapter vs the standard (think Apple using Lightning instead of USB-C). Is releasing this in the US some sort of "admitting defeat"?

Agree 100%. There is no way this is a supply chain issue. It is a passive adapter made up of some pieces of injection molded plastics and a few copper conductors. Not really rocket science to manufacture or need any electronics that may be in short supply. There is definitely something else going on.

It's all a fun part of the game of buying a Korean product that isn't released in the US yet :D

Honestly still not sure why Tesla hasn't released it yet. Lots of people assume it's so they can stock up on supply or ensure compatibility with US charging networks first, but I really wonder if it is part of their playbook on having their own adapter vs the standard (think Apple using Lightning instead of USB-C). Is releasing this in the US some sort of "admitting defeat"?

Hey everyone - new member here and in the same boat of deciding whether to buy the CCS1 adapter from South Korea or to wait until its released in North America. If I do order from Korea, I probably be leaning on you guys for some help.

As for why the adapter has not been released in NA yet, this is my pet theory (with no researched support basis, but some qualitative observations). CCS charging is cheaper in some parts of Canada (e.g. PetroCanada) than SC's, especially when we went from 2 tier to 4 tier pricing system. In fact, some 50 kWh CCS charges are free. Plus as some have mentioned, CCS fast charging is much more prevalent than SC's, especially away from major highways. Elon is pushing for per kWh pricing in Canada (and US) versus per minute. My theory is you won't see a CCS adapter until there is the approval for sale of electricity per kWh at which point we will see charging rate (cost) changes for CCS. As I said, just my pet theory