Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect they will close whatever path is letting Tesla owners with cars in North America (they know if you car is in Korea) order these. If I didn't have the old controller board I would order one. Hell, it would be tempting to order one to sell on eBay for $1700 even though people say they hate scalpers.

They presumably have their reason for not offering it though. Perhaps still some kinks to work out, or just not enough supply, but I doubt it's because they don't work unless you have the new chip. They made this thing to sell in North America, ROK is just a side market compared to that.
Perhaps it's not the sole reason, but I doubt the chip shortage plays zero role in the delay in release in NA, especially if it's true they are not in the clear yet as per the recent post about deliveries being delayed for charge port ECU.

FYI South Korea was one of the first major countries to standardize on CCS1. Even here in the US, SAE standards accept both CCS1 and CHAdeMO as standards even though some charge networks are phasing out CHAdeMO.
South Korea to standardize on CCS fast-charging standard used by US, German makers

When they announced the adapter for South Korea at end of 2020 (again well ahead of the NA coming soon announcement), Tesla had 33 supercharger stations (I'm guessing ~300-400 stalls?).
Tesla launching new CCS charging adapter in Korea next year
I don't know how accurate this is, but this article claims there were 9,805 fast charging stations in 2020 in South Korea (probably talking about stalls):
South Korea to install 3,000 fast-charging stations in 2021 - electrive.com
If this is true, the situation is kind of flipped with the US, where Tesla's supercharger network had been ahead of CCS or at least almost even, so South Korea actually "needs" this adapter far more than the US.

Last edited:
Can confirm from my buddy that lives in South Korea, CCS is *everywhere* especially when just compared to superchargers. From everything he’s described the reliability of the CCS networks also seem to be supercharger level.

He actually was considering a Model 3 before but decided to wait because of the lack of superchargers…

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
Curious for the CCS1 locations does everyone continue to use the in-car navigation or something else? I have the chargepoint app since that's what I use at home. But I do like just using the car. Never really looked at CCS since I don't have the adapter yet.

Curious for the CCS1 locations does everyone continue to use the in-car navigation or something else? I have the chargepoint app since that's what I use at home. But I do like just using the car. Never really looked at CCS since I don't have the adapter yet.
I would suggest that you find the charging location in Plugshare and add it as a waypoint. You don't need the nav to get the location you can game your car by telling it that it's going to a different supercharger, then drive the other way. That way it can pre-condition the battery.

Reactions: TravelFree
Which is probably part of the reason that Tesla hasn't released the CCS adapter in North America yet.
I'd like to add to this. I'm a (non-automotive) engineer. From where I see it, the "chip shortage" affects every commodity imaginable, not just chips, and it is continuing to get worse, not better. Don't underestimate the supply chain as a factor to all the negative and unfortunate things that have been discussed in this thread and elsewhere - CCS adapter, ECU upgrade, mobile connector, the list goes on.

I ordered the CCS adapter from Tesla Korea on 4/20, sent to my Delivered Korea address. Delivered Korea sent an email on 4/25 informing me i had a package waiting for me, and to fill out the incoming order form. I never got an email from Tesla with tracking info. I paid for FedEx Priority international shipping to Texas, hoping it will be here this week.

Now that my adapter is on its way, they’ll probably release it in NA for $1 in a few days… my luck. Lol

Thanks I'll have to check it out.
Or better still, Tesla could say, "Wait, we sell adapters so that means our drivers are going to those chargers to charge, so if we see them nav to one, we should precondition." In many cases the chargers are there in the map. You have to zoom in to find them, but they are there and you can nav to them. So this is not a hard big change. (A more advanced change would be to import the status feeds from the major charging networks as plugshare does and display them on the map like it does the superchargers. We'll need to wait for that one.)

I ordered the CCS adapter from Tesla Korea on 4/20, sent to my Delivered Korea address. Delivered Korea sent an email on 4/25 informing me i had a package waiting for me, and to fill out the incoming order form. I never got an email from Tesla with tracking info. I paid for FedEx Priority international shipping to Texas, hoping it will be here this week.

Now that my adapter is on its way, they’ll probably release it in NA for $1 in a few days… my luck. Lol
$1 is hopefully when the J-1772 adapter's like $50. My bet is it'll come out (when it does) for ~$350.

Nice! Looks like mine landed in ANC already. My guess is that it'll be in my hands in one more day. You can ask them to ship via Fedex or DHL btw. I asked for Fedex as they typically have access to my building.
As did mine (via Delivered). Since the pandemic started, FedEx has been terribly unreliable for me (at least 50% of my packages are late, 10% arrive damaged, and about 5% just go missing), so I'm not holding my breath for Friday, but they really *should* be able to get it to me by then.

Or better still, Tesla could say, "Wait, we sell adapters so that means our drivers are going to those chargers to charge, so if we see them nav to one, we should precondition." In many cases the chargers are there in the map. You have to zoom in to find them, but they are there and you can nav to them. So this is not a hard big change. (A more advanced change would be to import the status feeds from the major charging networks as plugshare does and display them on the map like it does the superchargers. We'll need to wait for that one.)
I absolutely understand and support why Tesla would REALLY not like to include other types of charging stations in their navigation map. If Tesla is showing it in their included map, where they are directing their customers to them, that is an endorsement of them. And with the reliability of the other charging networks being so pathetic, it is very understandable of why Tesla would not want to slime themselves by directing people to non-working, broken, out of order stations, and the horrible backlash that would go with that. ("Tesla sent me to a non-working charger and got me stranded--they suck!") Tesla would only want to endorse things they know to be pretty good and reliable. I just came across this in another thread:

Quoted:
"I've called in to complain to CP about broken chargers several times. They used to just say "contact the site owner". Now, they remind me that the site owner is responsible but that they'll put in a ticket. Their big improvement is that 3 times now, they've actually called me back up to tell me that the site is back up. Then I got a "how are we doing" survey. Did I mention that it was 6 months later that they called me back?
I love and hate CP. Many times, they are the only option - for that I'm grateful. Their quality is so poor though that the thought of having to use them is very stressful."