Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone think that Tesla will release an undocumented update that will disable CCS support on all cars in North America when they see how many of us are buying the adapter from Korea?
No. If they don't want us to buy adapters from South Korea, they could have a better check when checking out on their online store. Like checking that the VIN tied to the account was sold in South Korea.

Reactions: FalconFour
Does anyone think that Tesla will release an undocumented update that will disable CCS support on all cars in North America when they see how many of us are buying the adapter from Korea?
I don't think so. They actually kinda went out of their way to enable it on North American cars. Before it didn't work even if you had the right ECU.

As I said above, this was on the morning of May 12, 2021. I just randomly decided to open the EA app and check the status of the stations and this happened. And that certainly wasn't the first time I've multiple sites (like 25-50% of them) down like this around my area. EA just runs their network like they don't take reliability very seriously. The last time I used the CHAdeMO at one of their stations, it refused to take my credit card (both Google Pay and physical cards). I gave up and created an EA account. That worked.
The above is why you shouldn't use credit card readers on ANY charging stations. Search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card multiple times. I sometimes view the Plugshare activity feed and if I could get a $1 for every time someone checked in saying CC wouldn't work, I could get a nice bit of extra $ on the side.

When I show up at a site to charge, I need reasonable assurances that I'll actually be able to charge (as opposed to calling someone for a tow because I'm below 5% SoC and can't get to another fast charger). Outages like this, whether the chargers were down or the backend was down, do not inspire confidence.
As a non-Tesla driver, if I were to drive between Nor Cal and So Cal, due to the lack of redundancy on highway 5 in some spots, I don't take 5. I take highway 99. New Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers Now Available Along State Highways in Central California | Caltrans being free helps too. There's plenty of redundancy and nearby backups on 99. For road trips (don't do that often), I always check Plugshare first, as well.

On the way down to So Cal in Dec 2021, the only time I used EA is when I arrived in Torrance, where I was staying. On the two drives back from So Cal, I used EA only once, IIRC, in Santa Clarita (Walmart Supercenter | PlugShare).

Last edited:
I don't think so. The adapter from Korea is an official Tesla adapter. They did brick the Setec adapter a couple of times but again, that adapter isn't made by Tesla. Somewhere in this thread is an announcement from Elon (or maybe Tesla) that says an adapter is coming to the US "soon", so it's just a matter of time before they do it here in the US.

Reactions: kayak1
AF456EB3-70FB-43AE-8C75-B46D60A90513.jpeg

Hi Folks! This is my first post but I have been browsing this forum for a long time. I have a 2017 Model X and I really want to have CCS charging as an option, so I bought the CCS1 adapter and asked my friend in EU to get a CCS retrofit kit for me. The ECU should work on both CCS1 and CCS2 since they use the same powerline communication protocol.

Inspired by the posts from @FalconFour and @dbldwn02, I will DIY install the retrofit kit over the weekend. Not 100% sure if this works but it will be a fun learning experience

God damn, now you guys have me contemplating installing a Gen 4 ECU on my own and voiding my warranty for this 😅
Remember, you don't void the whole warranty ;) You just can't cry to Tesla if your charge port door breaks or whatever. Then they can point to the ECU swap and be like, "Nyeah! You did weird thing to charge port! Weird thing scary! No cover for you. *slams door*". But if your frunk latch or touchscreen stops working, they can't point to the charge port ECU and say the same.

Everyone should be educated about the wonders of that whole Magnuson Moss Warranty Act thing -- mostly, it covers the fact that you can use aftermarket parts and they can't just void "the whole warranty" in one gulp. Has to be reasonably plausible that your change caused the problem. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Explained | AutoAnything Resource Center

But still, good lol :)

You are not voiding the warranty.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act
oh cmon you beat me by like 30 seconds hahahaa

...I have a 2017 Model X and I really want to have CCS charging as an option, so I bought the CCS1 adapter and asked my friend in EU to get a CCS retrofit kit for me. The ECU should work on both CCS1 and CCS2 since they use the same powerline communication protocol.

Inspired by the posts from @FalconFour and @dbldwn02, I will DIY install the retrofit kit over the weekend. Not 100% sure if this works but it will be a fun learning experience

Wow. You REALLY want CCS capability. I'll be very interested to hear how that project goes. All the best on that.

So what happens to the CCS2 adapter? (No, I am not asking because I want it.) Back to Europe, I imagine (via eBay)? So Tesla-Europe will sell you the whole package (retrofit and adapter) or just the adapter (I believe), but not just the retrofit parts? Too bad.

Also, I have not been paying attention--is the correct CCS-capable ECU no longer available from Tesla-America Parts? I thought you could order it at a North American Service Center? (Oh right; chip shortage strikes again? Is that it? I hate the chip-shortage. :mad:)

PS -- I too have one of the cool things pictured in your photo. (Unfortunately, it's only that Model X aftermarket trunk mat. :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
Wow. You REALLY want CCS capability. I'll be very interested to hear how that project goes. All the best on that.

So what happens to the CCS2 adapter? (No, I am not asking because I want it.) Back to Europe, I imagine (via eBay)? So Tesla-Europe will sell you the whole package (retrofit and adapter) or just the adapter (I believe), but not just the retrofit parts? Too bad.

Also, I have not been paying attention--is the correct CCS-capable ECU no longer available from Tesla-America Parts? I thought you could order it? (Oh right; "chip shortage" strikes again? Is that it? I hate the chip-shortage.)

PS -- I too have one of the cool things pictured in your photo. (Unfortunately, it's only that Model X aftermarket trunk mat. :) )
The EU service center my friend ordered from only sells the whole retrofit kit, which includes the ECU, wiring harness, and the adapter. So the CCS2 adapter will be put at the corner of my garage.

I tried to order the retrofit ECU for my Model X from my local service center but they said this part was for EU only even of the part is in US parts catalog....

Also, I have not been paying attention--is the correct CCS-capable ECU no longer available from Tesla-America Parts? I thought you could order it at a North American Service Center? (Oh right; chip shortage strikes again? Is that it? I hate the chip-shortage.)

I order the aftermarket floormat from a store but they sent me the seven seat floor mat even if mine is a six seat....So the seller didn't bother asking me sending the wrong one back and he sent me the correct floormat. So I cutoff the wrong one and nail it to one of the small table mainly used by my wife😂

🤔🤔🤔😂

HMM...! Well... CCS is CCS, yes, sorta :) I, uh... I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I do foresee some issues.

Communication is PLC, yes. But... Type 2 connector has some key differences from Type 1. Particularly on the ECU side. The proximity pin is handled differently, for starters - in Type 2, there's no handle latch button to sense. Instead, it senses presence of the plug, as well as the amperage of the cable (which is detachable from the station in the Type 2 AC charging world - thus the station nor car inherently knows the cable type - the cable has to tell the station/car). Thus, the mapping and function is a bit different.

The Type 2 plug is also physically different, of course - which means the socket on the car can have sensor differences. For example, I'm finding that there are 3 temperature sensor inputs on the Gen4 ECU, and the NA plug uses Therm1 and Therm2 on Gen3, but Therm1 and Therm3 on Gen4. EU port, from reports I've seen, may use all 3 sensors, but not conclusive yet.

Lastly, Superchargers are different in the Type 2 world. Some Superchargers seem to speak SWC (Single Wire CAN - Tesla's language), and some speak PLC (powerline communication, over the pilot line - used for CCS). Not just a "different protocol", but entirely a different electrical signal. There's a physical switch on the board that toggles the two! (PLC uses J1772's signal mode, with Extra Steps).

All this to say, uhhh... you uhh... may have 😅 surprising results.

Maybe a "CCS conversion - DIY edition" thread is needed for the Model S/X space! I'd be curious to know as well (and may be deeply investigating soon myself, as a friend with a 2013 S is interested in CCS and we'll be working closely together in a couple weeks at a new job). I'm 99% certain there's a NA-spec ECU for the Model S/X that could slide into place - possibly using that wiring adapter, but almost definitely a different variation of the ECU.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and kayak1
🤔🤔🤔😂

HMM...! Well... CCS is CCS, yes, sorta :) I, uh... I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I do foresee some issues.

Communication is PLC, yes. But... Type 2 connector has some key differences from Type 1. Particularly on the ECU side. The proximity pin is handled differently, for starters - in Type 2, there's no handle latch button to sense. Instead, it senses presence of the plug, as well as the amperage of the cable (which is detachable from the station in the Type 2 AC charging world - thus the station nor car inherently knows the cable type - the cable has to tell the station/car). Thus, the mapping and function is a bit different.

The Type 2 plug is also physically different, of course - which means the socket on the car can have sensor differences. For example, I'm finding that there are 3 temperature sensor inputs on the Gen4 ECU, and the NA plug uses Therm1 and Therm2 on Gen3, but Therm1 and Therm3 on Gen4. EU port, from reports I've seen, may use all 3 sensors, but not conclusive yet.

Lastly, Superchargers are different in the Type 2 world. Some Superchargers seem to speak SWC (Single Wire CAN - Tesla's language), and some speak PLC (powerline communication, over the pilot line - used for CCS). Not just a "different protocol", but entirely a different electrical signal. There's a physical switch on the board that toggles the two! (PLC uses J1772's signal mode, with Extra Steps).

All this to say, uhhh... you uhh... may have 😅 surprising results.

Maybe a "CCS conversion - DIY edition" thread is needed for the Model S/X space! I'd be curious to know as well (and may be deeply investigating soon myself, as a friend with a 2013 S is interested in CCS and we'll be working closely together in a couple weeks at a new job). I'm 99% certain there's a NA-spec ECU for the Model S/X that could slide into place - possibly using that wiring adapter, but almost definitely a different variation of the ECU.

Thanks for the heads up! Doesn't look like the old Model X even has an ECU in place (quite different from Model 3) and so the retrofit ECU will simply an add on. Also, I checked the Model X US parts catalog, found nothing about the original ECU but found this:

14MX CCS ECU - (PLCRLY)1495114-00-C

I asked the service center in my area to see if I could order this part since it is in the US catalog, the service center told me this was for EU only and the advisor in Service Center didn't know why it was in US parts catalog. Anyways, worth a try and some research.

Also found a video on how to install the retrofit ECU in Model X. That guy did not remove any "old" ECUs but installed the retrofit directly instead:

Last edited:
IT’S IN MY HANDS!!! I likely won’t be able to try it till Sunday (I’m at 70% and only doing like 5 miles a day, but using sentry all day/night).

Yes. Good old Sentry Mode really eats up the electrons, doesn't it. Just sitting my cars burns up I don't know how many miles a night. Are the electric car gnomes driving it to Sacramento nightspots while I sleep?

3.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Yes. Good old Sentry Mode really eats up the electrons, doesn't it. Just sitting my cars burns up I don't know how many miles a night. Are the electric car gnomes driving it to Sacramento nightspots while I sleep?

It’s not *terrible*

I think I’m about 10% a day, granted I’m only driving like 2 to 3 miles a day though…

I’m temporarily in Seattle until the end of the summer while my mother goes through leukemia treatments and while my driving has dropped off a cliff… my um… “concern” for my parking environments has greatly increased 🤣

If I’m not worried about the homeless or just random a-holes that might want to vandalize it or whatever I’m worried about the extremely tight parking garages… literally like 10 inches of space from door to door with the car next to you and I’m normally one of those people that park towards the back of a parking lot away from other cars, lol

I’m actually kind of impressed I can get 24 hours with sentry on and a few miles driven with only 10%, that’s less than half a percentage an hour… but then when you think of energy, that’s ~7.5kWh just to run a computer and some cameras!

View attachment 798289

Hi Folks! This is my first post but I have been browsing this forum for a long time. I have a 2017 Model X and I really want to have CCS charging as an option, so I bought the CCS1 adapter and asked my friend in EU to get a CCS retrofit kit for me. The ECU should work on both CCS1 and CCS2 since they use the same powerline communication protocol.

Yes. You need kit, wire, ECU and adapter itself.

But unlike MY/M3 you need to update computer options (which is not an big issue on Tegra), but still need several extra stuff (or better person who knows how to change settings on Tesla).

it will work, just need to be in rights hands.

Reactions: lynyrdM
So I took the plunge with Harumio for a CCS1 adapter. Here's the progress to date:
  • 26 April - submitted initial inquiry and replied to email from Harumio asking if I wanted to be invoiced, providing my Tesla login info (PW changed to temp PW)
  • 27 April - received invoice, paid $318.50 via PayPal
  • 28 April - received email from Tesla (in Korean) after the proxy Harumio uses placed the order via my account
  • 28 April - received another email from Tesla Korea with the invoice for the CCS adapter order. My name is listed in the purchaser section, though a South Korean address in Seoul is listed.