Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh I couldn't resist, I placed an order. Will be using Delivered Korea. Tesla would only take my amex when trying to order.

I don't really need this, but for some of the places I travel, there are EA stations located at somewhat more convenient places.

At this point, Tesla must *know* a lot of these adapters are going to North America. Why do they not just just open up direct North American sales?
Because people willing to jump through hoops to order in Korea will be relatively limited and they must either "need" the adapter, or at least really, really (really) want it to be willing to do so. If instead they open NA sales, then people that merely "want" it or are interested will order (myself included), there will be an explosion of interest, and they will suddenly have to deal with the ones without CCS enabled also clamoring for it (which given recent reports there are delays in car deliveries waiting for charge port ECUs, they obviously haven't solve the chip supply problem).

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and tps5352
No real need to. Supercharger network is better developed than CCS in most areas.

Oklahoma would like to have a word. BTW half the superchargers in the SC pic are in Texas and only 1 is a v3 in Texas.

Superchargers:
1651205495810.png

CCS (over 120 kW, with most being 200 kW stations):
1651205600921.png

One size definitely does not fit all.

Sorry, it's not that I don't think they need to, I think Tesla doesn't think they need to sell the CCS adapter :). At least not until the government forces them to. I feel like a Tesla -> CCS adapter for outside access may come earlier so they qualify for the charger deployment credits.

I want them to do both, but they can barely stock mobile charging adapters as it is...

At this point, Tesla must *know* a lot of these adapters are going to North America. Why do they not just just open up direct North American sales?

I am sure you are right and staff there does know. (There may be a weekly virtual meeting within Tesla--"What People On TMC Are Up To Now.")

Lacking any evidence, I nonetheless believe that the Company has a plan and schedule to release the adapter directly into the North American market. I also believe that our actions will probably not affect that plan/schedule to any great extent. Expect direct sales with shipping from within the North American Continent "soon" (i.e., in 2022). Hopefully, that event will also include a reasonably-priced hardware retrofit (with adapter included) for all model-years lacking CCS-capability. Needless to say, this is all speculation on my part. Sorry, I have no insider information. But Europe's CCS2 adapter/retrofit can be seen as models for what is coming.

Meanwhile, the current population of Tesla owner/drivers might be sub-divided and categorized as:
  1. The opportunists, with the keen retail-sense to buy up multiple Korean adapters to sell at outrageous profit to...
  2. The opulent, with the money to cover exorbitant prices in online auctions;
  3. the innovative, who found legitimate, cost-effective means to import Korean adapters intended for personal use into North America;
  4. the patient, who will ever-so-cautiously wait for Tesla to release the CCS1 adapter directly into the North American market; and
  5. the content, who, if they think about it at all, see no need to purchase a mysterious device they will probably never use and don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Undoubtedly, there are households split over these divisive issues. I foresee brother against brother; wives against husbands; teenagers against everyone...

Divided Families

NPR investigates a national tragedy: "Are Tesla
CCS1 Adapters Dividing America's Families?"

Last edited:
So I tried out my new adapter with our '22 MYLR tonight at a 350kW EA station. SOC was 55%, outside temp was about 60°F, but I drove for about 15 minutes with a nearby SC as my nav destination to get some preconditioning. I have an EA account but after futzing with it for about 5 minutes I could not get the stupid station to accept it from my phone. I had to use a physical credit card. Definitely a PITA to use compared to SCs. Worse, I only got at most 33kW which is very low for 55% SOC. (I would have expected at least double that from any SC.) I only charged for about 2 minutes, so maybe it would have sped up.

Nonetheless, I wish I had this when I went through ABQ in late March (like 3 days before the new SC opened there), because the lines at the old 6-stall SC were 4-5 deep, while a nearby EA station with at least a dozen CCS plugs was not even 50% full. (I ended up using my old CHAdeMO adapter on the one compatible—but ostensibly broken—EA stall and got 50kW, but it was still quite a bit faster than waiting in that line at the SC.)

I hope to try this on our '22 MSLR in the next few days. That's the car I really want it to work well with, as that's our new road trip car.

So I tried out my new adapter with our '22 MYLR tonight at a 350kW EA station. SOC was 55%, outside temp was about 60°F, but I drove for about 15 minutes with a nearby SC as my nav destination to get some preconditioning. I have an EA account but after futzing with it for about 5 minutes I could not get the stupid station to accept it from my phone. I had to use a physical credit card. Definitely a PITA to use compared to SCs. Worse, I only got at most 33kW which is very low for 55% SOC. (I would have expected at least double that from any SC.) I only charged for about 2 minutes, so maybe it would have sped up.

Nonetheless, I wish I had this when I went through ABQ in late March (like 3 days before the new SC opened there), because the lines at the old 6-stall SC were 4-5 deep, while a nearby EA station with at least a dozen CCS plugs was not even 50% full. (I ended up using my old CHAdeMO adapter on the one compatible—but ostensibly broken—EA stall and got 50kW, but it was still quite a bit faster than waiting in that line at the SC.)

I hope to try this on our '22 MSLR in the next few days. That's the car I really want it to work well with, as that's our new road trip car.
Are you sure that you didn't mix up the plug number with the charger number?

The charger number is at the top of the charger.

The charger below is charger number 4.

105904109-1557425524766electrify-america-charging-station.jpg

Knowing that CCS has historically had compatibility issues with different car/charger combinations, I wonder if Tesla is willing to let us small, dedicated few import these in order to be the guinea pigs. Maybe they're sucking up all our charging session data and analyzing it in order to clear up any issues ahead of a wide NA launch.

Reactions: nhulst and jsight
It seems like both Harumio and Delivered are both very fast. I don't think anyone here has reported it taking more than two weeks for either service, and many report one week or even a bit less. That seems pretty incredible to me, given 2-3 f those days are getting the item from Tesla to the proxy service. I used Delivered and I would definitely use them again. I like the control I have over the process more than I would with Hariumo. (For instance, if Tesla cancels your order, as some are still reporting as happening, it's going to be an extra hassle to process that back through Harumio than if you placed the order with Tesla yourself. Not to mention not having to jump through hoops with your Tesla account setup to give Harumio access to it.)
Hi, I'm picking you to reply to, although I suppose I could ask this directly or as a reply to many others. When can I change my account password back to something that Harumio won't know?
Thanks for anyone's input on it. That is the only slight concern I have in ordering. \
Best,
Mark

Are you sure that you didn't mix up the plug number with the charger number?

The charger number is at the top of the charger.

The charger below is charger number 4.

View attachment 798714

I've done that ...

The first time you use the chargers you're probably going to be staring at the charger's screen. Why they don't make it clearer for first time users in the app or on screen I don't know.

Hi, I'm picking you to reply to, although I suppose I could ask this directly or as a reply to many others. When can I change my account password back to something that Harumio won't know?
Thanks for anyone's input on it. That is the only slight concern I have in ordering. \
Best,
Mark

Copied from another CCS thread:

"For anyone that ordered from Harumio (and changed their PW to a temp one) and are wondering when they should change their PW back, here's an email I got from them:

We would appreciate if you do not change the password for your Tesla account until you receive shipment tracking number from us. This is due to the reason that we'll be unable to access to your account to track the item delivery to our warehouse if you change the password before we receive your item.

Thank you for your kind understanding."

Copied from another CCS thread:

"For anyone that ordered from Harumio (and changed their PW to a temp one) and are wondering when they should change their PW back, here's an email I got from them:

We would appreciate if you do not change the password for your Tesla account until you receive shipment tracking number from us. This is due to the reason that we'll be unable to access to your account to track the item delivery to our warehouse if you change the password before we receive your item.

Thank you for your kind understanding."
Thanks so much!
Mark

Yep most EA chargers are software limited to 350A. This means that cars that aren't 800V architecture likely won't be able to hit anything over 157.5kW or so (350A * 450V pack voltage).

In Tesla land, the charging between 20 - 80% SoC is in ~ 3.7v per cell range, so about 355v. i've read that the CCS adapter from Tesla is spec'd to 300 Amps. If that is enforced then .355*300 = 105 kW at these EA chargers would be expected.