Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This guy here on eBay has over 10 available for sale on buy it now. He already sold a few at auction also. Sheesh

Yeah no thank you. crappy part is it's a Tesla owner ripping off fellow Tesla owners. I can see a markup for the effort but his is a little ridiculous.

For the little stress of the unknown, Harumio was great. I have what I've wanted and I'm not waiting and waiting for the Tesla Store in US to stock it. They made a little money, but in the end I've saved a ton having something now rather than later. It works great and just makes traveling a little less stressful overall.
I'd recommend them highly... And who knows when Tesla SK will cut off the availability to us.

I am a bit surprised with reports of somewhat slow charging rates with the Tesla CCS adapter. I had hoped that with this being CCS (and with some of the high charging rates available on some CCS outlets) and with the Tesla adapter, I had thought, just being a throughput adapter, that the rates would be higher.

That said, I do not see the results so far as being definitive. Also, perhaps future software adjustments by Tesla could improve matters (just speculating on that last point though).

Yeah no thank you. crappy part is it's a Tesla owner ripping off fellow Tesla owners. I can see a markup for the effort but his is a little ridiculous.
The prices won’t stay at $1500 for very long. Market is getting flooded now. One sold the other day for $900.

Someone wrote a long eloquent post about this resell thing a few days ago, perhaps in another thread. I personally don’t have a problem with it bc it’s not like the item is readily available for purchase. It requires you to order from Korea and give out your username and password. Some people don’t want to do that or don’t even know you can and maybe wouldn’t even if they knew they could. No one is forcing anyone to spend $1,500 on the adapter on eBay. It’s a free market and if someone thinks that price is worth the item, then so be it it’s their $$$ not mine. The vast majority of Tesla owners are well off, if not wealthy, so $1,500 isn’t a lot for some people anyways.

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: tps5352
I am a bit surprised with reports of somewhat slow charging rates with the Tesla CCS adapter. I had hoped that with this being CCS (and with some of the high charging rates available on some CCS outlets) and with the Tesla adapter, I had thought, just being a throughput adapter, that the rates would be higher.

That said, I do not see the results so far as being definitive. Also, perhaps future software adjustments by Tesla could improve matters (just speculating on that last point though).
I don’t know where you are getting that info as plenty of users have posted getting over 100 kW. One YouTube video has it at 178 kW. Battery preconditioning is also important to achieve high rates also.

Reactions: TravelFree
Got mine today from Harumio. 8 days from payment to my doorstep in western US.

Charging speeds are just slightly better than Chademo (40-50kW) on Electrify America chargers rated for 150kW. This is because the 150kW rating on the EA charger is for a higher voltage, and the Tesla battery architecture is ~400V.

Some reports say that the 350kW Electrify America chargers can peak at 100+, or even 150+ kW, but they seem to drop off quickly and maybe even fall below 50kW (because of overheating possibly?).
As I posted at Lucid Motors Air - Page 6 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, I've personally seen a Lucid Air test vehicle pulling 166 kW (per the EA BTC Power's LCD) on "150 kW" chargers. The site I saw it is definitely rated only at "150 kW" per labeling. There are no 350 kW chargers there or anywhere nearby.

So I tried out my new adapter with our '22 MYLR tonight at a 350kW EA station. SOC was 55%, outside temp was about 60°F, but I drove for about 15 minutes with a nearby SC as my nav destination to get some preconditioning. I have an EA account but after futzing with it for about 5 minutes I could not get the stupid station to accept it from my phone. I had to use a physical credit card. Definitely a PITA to use compared to SCs. Worse, I only got at most 33kW which is very low for 55% SOC. (I would have expected at least double that from any SC.) I only charged for about 2 minutes, so maybe it would have sped up.
If you only hit 33 kW at that SoC, there might be a problem w/the station. 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 range and road-trip charging: Some first impressions ran into it. Search for 32 kw and also for sensor. I've seen numerous Plugshare reports on EA where someone reports low charging speed on one CCS charger, so they switch to another and it's normal.

What did Plugshare say for that site? Willing to share the Plugshare URL or its address?

Are you sure that you didn't mix up the plug number with the charger number?

The charger number is at the top of the charger.

The charger below is charger number 4.

View attachment 798714
I was never asked for a charger or plug number. I guess I don't know how to use the EA app but I couldn't find anything that let me indicate which charger I was using. I assumed it would figure that out by the NFC scan of my phone. It's definitely not obvious how to use these with the app.

I was never asked for a charger or plug number. I guess I don't know how to use the EA app but I couldn't find anything that let me indicate which charger I was using. I assumed it would figure that out by the NFC scan of my phone. It's definitely not obvious how to use these with the app.
Skip to 1:50 of
. I do not use NFC to start charging at EA. Some of the EA chargers have the NFC reader as part of their credit card reader, which are notoriously bad.

When I haven't gotten free EA juice (which doesn't require any app, NFC, CC, etc., just plug in), I always have manually selected the correct charger from the app and started via swiping in the app. The station number should also be at the top of the station's LCD.

If you only hit 33 kW at that SoC, there might be a problem w/the station. 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 range and road-trip charging: Some first impressions ran into it. Search for 32 kw and also for sensor. I've seen numerous Plugshare reports on EA where someone reports low charging speed on one CCS charger, so they switch to another and it's normal.

What did Plugshare say for that site? Willing to share the Plugshare URL or its address?
I should have tried the other plug, but I was pressed for time. I mainly wanted to verify that it works, which it did. I was at a (supposedly) 350kW pedestal at this site: Sam's Club | PlugShare

When I go back to test the S I'll hopefully have a bit more time to play with it.

Reactions: cwerdna
I should have tried the other plug, but I was pressed for time. I mainly wanted to verify that it works, which it did. I was at a (supposedly) 350kW pedestal at this site: Sam's Club | PlugShare

When I go back to test the S I'll hopefully have a bit more time to play with it.
Thank you. I noticed some comments there about some cables or stalls outputting low power and unfortunately, several folks who have unit problems (referring to charging rate as "kWH" :rolleyes:). I recommend steering clear of the ones that people report probs on or trying another cable/unit if it's that low again.

• Helpful
Reactions: mscott