Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the main website of the Utah guy selling those adapters on eBay.

I’m curious how the broker they are working with is able to export multiple (their inventory lists 12) CCS1 adapters out of Korea. Maybe an insider at Tesla? Very interesting.
Very weird because it looks like this entire website was just created to sell the CCS adapters. There’s nothing else going on on this website lol. Probably just an opportunistic Tesla owner.

“We have a contact within Korea that is brokering the purchase and shipment to the US.” Yeah my guess is that contact is Harumio 😂

I don’t know where you are getting that info as plenty of users have posted getting over 100 kW. One YouTube video has it at 178 kW. Battery preconditioning is also important to achieve high rates also.
Looking back in this thread, over the last 10-15 pages, other users are posting slower results. Granted, some are suggesting that there are other reasons, but that is far from clear to me. Other than in cold winter conditions, I do not need to precondition to get and sustain fast charging off the bat at a Tesla Supercharger.

Let me be clear, I really want CCS to work as an excellent alternative for Tesla owners. Based on my own reading of this thread, I am not convinced that we are quite there yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Looking back in this thread, over the last 10-15 pages, other users are posting slower results. Granted, some are suggesting that there are other reasons, but that is far from clear to me. Other than in cold winter conditions, I do not need to precondition to get and sustain fast charging off the bat at a Tesla Supercharger.

Let me be clear, I really want CCS to work as an excellent alternative for Tesla owners. Based on my own reading of this thread, I am not convinced that we are quite there yet.
A lot of the problems could be compatibility issues.

The US has only one nationwide public charging network and that is Electrify America.

That means that most automakers (other than Tesla) would spend time testing and fixing compatibility issues with Electrify America's equipment.

In fact, they would even send pre-production vehicles to Electrify America for testing.

It's not obvious if Tesla did a similar testing with Electrify America's equipment esp. considering that the adapter isn't even available for purchase in the US yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
A lot of the problems could be compatibility issues.

The US has only one nationwide public charging network and that is Electrify America.

That means that most automakers (other than Tesla) would spend time testing and fixing compatibility issues with Electrify America's equipment.

In fact, they would even send pre-production vehicles to Electrify America for testing.

It's not obvious if Tesla did the same rigorous testing with Electrify America's equipment esp. considering that the adapter isn't even available for purchase in the US yet.
I disagree with your bolded statement. There's also ChargePoint, EVgo and Greenlots (now aka Shell Recharge, not many around me). I guess you can sorta count Blink which was only CHAdeMO only at the beginning (esp. since they started before any US CCS cars even existed).

Last edited:
I disagree with your bolded statement. There's also ChargePoint, EVgo and Greenlots (now aka Shell Reacharge, not many around me). I guess you can sorta count Blink which was only CHAdeMO only at the beginning (esp. since they started before any US CCS cars even existed).
Those are regional networks, not nationwide networks.

You are not going to be able to travel across the country on those networks.

Those are regional networks, not nationwide networks.
No. Here's a screenshot of a map from ChargePoint if I select only DC - Combo and ChargePoint network. It's followed by one if I only select DC - Combo and EVgo.

Unfortunately, it appears the Network filter is busted when used with at least DC - Combo, so one can assume that's the combination of ChargePoint + Blink + SemaCharge + EVgo CCS. I don't know of any SemaCharge DC FCs. Bilnk doesn't have much w/CCS.

ChargePoint also has a TON of J1772 all around the US.

EVgo - Investor Relations says "With more than 800 fast charging locations, EVgo’s charging network serves over 68 metropolitan areas across 35 states".

You are not going to be able to travel across the country on those networks.
Ok, possibly true.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 4.57.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 4.57.37 PM.png
    464 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 4.58.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 4.58.14 PM.png
    430.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Other than in cold winter conditions, I do not need to precondition to get and sustain fast charging off the bat at a Tesla Supercharger.
I don't think that's true at all. If you watch Bjorn's charging videos you can see the test results... For Tesla, the optimum battery temperature for fast charging is 50 degrees C, or 122 F, according to the scanmytesla data. In normal driving, depending on the state of the climate control, the battery temp will be between 20 C and 35 C. (68 F - 95 F). When you precondition the batteries going to a SC, the car tries to bring the batteries up to 50 C, and while SC, it will aggressively try to maintain 50 C.

When he rolls into a fast charger, if the batteries aren't at least 30 C, he doesn't get anywhere near the max charging speed. Even on out of spec reviews, the guy was only getting 90kw on his model 3, but he said the car had been sitting all morning, and the ambient temp was mid 60s, which is only 15 C. In bjorn's vidoes, almost every EV he tested will not charge very fast < 20 C

Here is a link to one of Bjorn's videos where he compares the charging speed on a model Y, with a preconditioned battery, and one without a preconditioned battery... You can that in the "cold" battery is starts out at only 130kw and quickly ramps down to 100kw and below... Wheras in the hot battery it starts at 200kw, and stays ahead of the cold battery until it reaches about 60% SoC.

No. Here's a screenshot of a map from ChargePoint if I select only DC - Combo and ChargePoint network. It's followed by one if I only select DC - Combo and EVgo.

Unfortunately, it appears the Network filter is busted when used with at least DC - Combo, so one can assume that's the combination of ChargePoint + Blink + SemaCharge + EVgo CCS. I don't know of any SemaCharge DC FCs. Bilnk doesn't have much w/CCS.

ChargePoint also has a TON of J1772 all around the US.

EVgo - Investor Relations says "With more than 800 fast charging locations, EVgo’s charging network serves over 68 metropolitan areas across 35 states".

Ok, possibly true.
Here is a map of ChargePoint chargers which are at least 50 kW (which is slow by modern standards).

ChargePoint50kw.png

Here is a link to one of Bjorn's videos where he compares the charging speed on a model Y, with a preconditioned battery, and one without a preconditioned battery... You can that in the "cold" battery is starts out at only 130kw and quickly ramps down to 100kw and below... Wheras in the hot battery it starts at 200kw, and stays ahead of the cold battery until it reaches about 60% SoC.
But I think the issue he is talking about is there are people with the CCS adapter getting like around 50kW or even under, way under what you describe above with a un-preconditioned battery. So something else is going on.

But I think the issue he is talking about is there are people with the CCS adapter getting like around 50kW or even under, way under what you describe above with a un-preconditioned battery. So something else is going on.
Honestly, I think it is just the charger... If you watch Bjorns other videos, he often rants how frequently he encounters non-tesla CCS chargers that are kaput and charge waaaaay under what he was expecting... Its readily apparent when he just switches stalls, and the speed goes way up.... This actually happened to me once at a v3 supercharger a few months ago... I rolled in with 15% SoC, and it would not charge faster than 85kw, so I switched stalls, and it started charging at 190 kw.

Now I'm not saying CCS is an alternative to Supercharging while on roadtrips. I only got it, as an insurance policy in case I need it. For example, at one of my rental properties, I don't have access to L2 charging there, and the nearest supercharger is a v2 charger about 25 minutes away.... But there are four 500A/350kw CCS chargers down the street.

Last edited:
I quickly perused some of the posts where people tested their CCS adapters. I ran across one, where they guy only got 30 or 40 kw... But then I noticed the dude plugged in at 73% SoC... Even if you plug into a v3 supercharger, at 73% SoC, you're only gonna pull 60 kw or so...

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and tps5352
Honestly, I think it is just the charger... If you watch Bjorns other videos, he often rants how frequently he encounters non-tesla CCS chargers that are kaput and charge waaaaay under what he was expecting... Its readily apparent when he just switches stalls, and the speed goes way up.... This actually happened to me once at a v3 supercharger a few months ago... I rolled in with 15% SoC, and it would not charge faster than 85kw, so I switched stalls, and it started charging at 190 kw.

Now I'm not saying CCS is an alternative to Supercharging while on roadtrips. I only got it, as an insurance policy in case I need it. For example, at one of my rental properties, I don't have access to L2 charging there, and the nearest supercharger is a v2 charger about 25 minutes away.... But there are four 500A/350kw CCS chargers down the street.
The vehicle is responsible for asking how much power it needs.

For example, if the vehicle asks the charger for 70 kW (200 A at 350 V) then that's how much it gets.

The vehicle is responsible for asking how much power it needs.

For example, if the vehicle asks the charger for 70 kW (200 A at 350 V) then that's how much it gets.
The vehicle and charger need to negotiate. If the vehicle wants 200kW, but the charger is only willing to supply 70kW, it gets 70kW. There are enough situations where simply moving to another plug in the same station to demonstrate that sometimes the charger limits the rate for whatever reason.

This guy here on eBay has over 10 available for sale on buy it now. He already sold a few at auction also. Sheesh

The eBay page says local pickup available in Draper UT. Does Tesla still have an office is Draper ?

Kind of makes you wonder what is going on here.:rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and tps5352
I am curious as this small supply of Korean units moves into the market, if we will now see a greater supply of CHAdeMO adpaters into the market, reducing their crazy price. It's hard to see much point in having both, except perhaps in a very few locations where there is a lone CdM you can use that's the only power along a route. If you get the CCS you would be crazy to not take advantage of the high market price of the CdM as it won't last after the CCS gets easier to get, and will pay for your CCS many times over.

The official CCS1 adapter is “rated” for 200A but I have seen it so double or more. Assuming 370V battery that means ~460A

Edit: and I’ll run the battery down low today with preheat (nav to a nearby supercharger) to see how high this adapter can go.

Edit 2: don’t go buy a chademo from Tesla or spend $1200 to get a CCS1 adapter from local. Harumio cost me $5 service fee and $39 shipping on top of ~$290 of the adapter. 10 days from inquiry to product in hand.

Attachments

• A1770C82-5059-4973-B214-CD73B6EA2328.jpeg
    A1770C82-5059-4973-B214-CD73B6EA2328.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 62
  • FE5F74EA-7640-4B00-A6B0-6E1FB221A706.jpeg
    FE5F74EA-7640-4B00-A6B0-6E1FB221A706.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I don't think that's true at all. If you watch Bjorn's charging videos you can see the test results... For Tesla, the optimum battery temperature for fast charging is 50 degrees C, or 122 F, according to the scanmytesla data. In normal driving, depending on the state of the climate control, the battery temp will be between 20 C and 35 C. (68 F - 95 F). When you precondition the batteries going to a SC, the car tries to bring the batteries up to 50 C, and while SC, it will aggressively try to maintain 50 C.

When he rolls into a fast charger, if the batteries aren't at least 30 C, he doesn't get anywhere near the max charging speed. Even on out of spec reviews, the guy was only getting 90kw on his model 3, but he said the car had been sitting all morning, and the ambient temp was mid 60s, which is only 15 C. In bjorn's vidoes, almost every EV he tested will not charge very fast < 20 C
I agree. In summer and after driving a good distance on the highway I get V3 charge speeds up to 185 kW in my 2019 MS. In other local situations, even with the battery conditioning notification I rarely get above 150 kW.