Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0-50% in 15 minutes and 0-80% in 30 minutes.
View attachment 799251
That is an interesting charger. EVgo says it is 350kW and can split power to both cables simultaneously. There is clearly a Delta logo on it, but that configuration does not appear on the Delta DC Fast Charger web pages. The short Delta charger next to is is 100kW and can split power between the CCS and CHAdeMO cables. Those are installed a most of the new EVgo sites that also have 150kW-350kW chargers.

🤔🤔🤔😂

HMM...! Well... CCS is CCS, yes, sorta :) I, uh... I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I do foresee some issues.

Communication is PLC, yes. But... Type 2 connector has some key differences from Type 1. Particularly on the ECU side. The proximity pin is handled differently, for starters - in Type 2, there's no handle latch button to sense. Instead, it senses presence of the plug, as well as the amperage of the cable (which is detachable from the station in the Type 2 AC charging world - thus the station nor car inherently knows the cable type - the cable has to tell the station/car). Thus, the mapping and function is a bit different.

The Type 2 plug is also physically different, of course - which means the socket on the car can have sensor differences. For example, I'm finding that there are 3 temperature sensor inputs on the Gen4 ECU, and the NA plug uses Therm1 and Therm2 on Gen3, but Therm1 and Therm3 on Gen4. EU port, from reports I've seen, may use all 3 sensors, but not conclusive yet.

Lastly, Superchargers are different in the Type 2 world. Some Superchargers seem to speak SWC (Single Wire CAN - Tesla's language), and some speak PLC (powerline communication, over the pilot line - used for CCS). Not just a "different protocol", but entirely a different electrical signal. There's a physical switch on the board that toggles the two! (PLC uses J1772's signal mode, with Extra Steps).

All this to say, uhhh... you uhh... may have 😅 surprising results.

Maybe a "CCS conversion - DIY edition" thread is needed for the Model S/X space! I'd be curious to know as well (and may be deeply investigating soon myself, as a friend with a 2013 S is interested in CCS and we'll be working closely together in a couple weeks at a new job). I'm 99% certain there's a NA-spec ECU for the Model S/X that could slide into place - possibly using that wiring adapter, but almost definitely a different variation of the ECU.
Hi! I installed the EU CCS retrofit and the installation process is very easy.

Here is a thread I opened up: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/diy-installing-ccs-retrofit-in-my-us-2017-model-x.265642/. It is still waiting for approval

However, I got CCS Fast Charging is unavailable, Schedule Service - Configuration Change required" (Error code CHG_w084) and "poor grid power quality possible" when trying to use AC charging.

IMG_8520.jpg

My local service center refused to support and so I guess it will be on my own....

It is less clear concerning Model S and X. Does that "MX CCS ECU" mean that all Models X came with CCS capability? Or that no Model S do? I don't think that is right. But I am seeing no CCS ECU listed for Model S. What is going on?
Definitely can confirm my 2022 MSLR has CCS support. I finally got to test out my adapter with the S at an EA station tonight. First plug, got the same 33-ish kW as my 2022 MYLR a few days ago (at the same 350kW pedestal). Another person—who was apparently familiar with station—said that only two of the six really worked and suggested I try the next pedestal over. I did, and couldn't even get the first plug to work. Finally I switched to the other plug on that pedestal and it spun right up to 117kW. (Dash said 248A @ 440V, which is 109kW, but the app said 117kW.) SOC was right around 60% and battery was probably pretty well heated as I'd just come off an evening of drag racing with drag strip mode enabled all night and set my destination for a nearby SC so as to enable pre-conditioning.

I only charged for a minute or two as I didn't need the charge to get home and it's freakin' $0.43/kWh, which is almost twice what Tesla charges in Colorado and 4x what I pay at home.

Edit: I have not hacked either the MS or MY ECU, they came CCS-enabled from the factory.

Last edited:
Yes. You need kit, wire, ECU and adapter itself.

But unlike MY/M3 you need to update computer options (which is not an big issue on Tegra), but still need several extra stuff (or better person who knows how to change settings on Tesla).

it will work, just need to be in rights hands.
Yes, looks like it needs a config change because I got "CCS Fast Charging is unavailable, Schedule Service - Configuration Change required" (Error code CHG_w084). My Model X has been upgrade to MCU2 and so it is not Tegra. I have Toolbox 3 susbcription and waiting for the diagnistic cable to come in. Can I know if you happend to know how to change the configs? Thanks

Definitely can confirm my 2022 MSLR has CCS support. I finally got to test out my adapter with the S at an EA station tonight. First plug, got the same 33-ish kW as my 2022 MYLR a few days ago (at the same 350kW pedestal). Another person—who was apparently familiar with station—said that only two of the six really worked and suggested I try the next pedestal over. I did, and couldn't even get the first plug to work. Finally I switched to the other plug on that pedestal and it spun right up to 117kW. SOC was right around 60% and battery was probably pretty well heated as I'd just come off an evening of drag racing with drag strip mode enabled all night and set my destination for a nearby SC so as to enable pre-conditioning.

I only charged for a minute or two as I didn't need the charge to get home and it's freakin' $0.43/kWh, which is almost twice what Tesla charges in Colorado and 4x what I pay at home.

Edit: I have not hacked either the MS or MY ECU, they came CCS-enabled from the factory.

OK, helpful. So looking at the Tesla parts catalog again, I see that Models S (2/21-->) and X (3/21-->) have what's called a Generation 4 "Assembly Charge Port Controller" which looks similar to the Models 3 and Y Generations 3 and 4 "CP ECU" and to the Model X (9/15-2/21) CCS ECU.

What makes research challenging (for me) are the different names used for parts in model-years that may be doing similar things--e.g., allowing, or not, the ability to accept CCS charging.

Anyway, based on this investigation of the Tesla online parts catalog it would appear that all "refreshed" Models S and X (should) come with CCS functioning enabled. I remain unclear about earlier S/X model-years.

*****​

Oh, and for the non-automotive engineers (like me) out there:

CCS = Combined Charging System
CP = Charge Port
ECU = Electronic Control Unit

• Informative
Reactions: mscott
OK, helpful. So looking at the Tesla parts catalog again, I see that Models S (2/21-->) and X (3/21-->) have what's called a Generation 4 "Assembly Charge Port Controller" which looks similar to the Models 3 and Y Generations 3 and 4 "CP ECU" and to the Model X (9/15-2/21) CCS ECU.

What makes research challenging (for me) are the different names used for parts in model-years that may be doing similar things--e.g., allowing, or not, the ability to accept CCS charging.

Anyway, based on this investigation of the Tesla online parts catalog it would appear that all "refreshed" Models S and X (should) come with CCS functioning enabled. I remain unclear about earlier S/X model-years.

*****​

Oh, and for the non-automotive engineers (like me) out there:

CCS = Combined Charging System
CP = Charge Port
ECU = Electronic Control Unit
MS/MX are have CCS support from factory starting ~Feb/2020

Dude, checkout some of Bjorn's videos... There are many examples, where the charger is just busted. There is even one, where more than one car tried to use a particular stall, and couldn't get more than 60kw out of it, even after trying several times... They switched stalls, and got > 200kw.. And bjorn almost always uses a scanner, so knows all the details about what is requested, what is received, and what the battery temps are...
...and there are many cases where they aren't.

...and there are many cases where they aren't.
Of course, but what is your point? I was responding to the post where someone claimed that the adapter didn't work, because they kept getting a slow charge while claiming it wasn't the SoC or battery temp. I mentioned there were cases where it could be the charger. That was my only point.

If anybody cares to know how the Delivered email looks like, its like this. I'll have to go into my Delivered account and fill in the information.

27788C63-2418-4F77-88A0-E757234FDC17.jpeg
B5724512-2E3B-45AB-8E5B-CDC2574B11C8.jpeg

44F111D6-72B7-4B39-B14B-F112D23F09E8.jpeg

In other news, I have a family member that is getting a Y in the next few months, and the CCS adapter would be beneficial for them as well. They don't have the mental energy to go through these hoops like I do. So I tried to place a second order with Tesla-Korea and it went thru. My cc was immediately charged. I think Tesla Korea is only limiting purchases of the adapters to one at a time, but will allow multiple orders.

Delivered will hold a package for 30 days, so I'm going to try to combine shipping. My original order was Apr 27, so I expect this second order to come in by May 05.

I tried to place a second order with Tesla-Korea and it went thru. My cc was immediately charged. I think Tesla Korea is only limiting purchases of the adapters to one at a time, but will allow multiple orders.
I think they actually aren't limiting orders. I think they are just verifying the vin of the car on the account to make sure the adapter works on your car. I think they are trying to avoid pissed off customers that say the adapter doesn't work.

• Informative
Reactions: Guacahummus
Eh, they're getting paid a fixed USD amount. With the recent depreciation in Korean Won, they're making more money as time goes on and the Won depreciates more.
It's not a fixed USD amount. We did adjust the price once already.
However, we do set some margin of errors for the currency exchange rate to account for fluctuations.
In my opinion Harumio has provided a valuable service. Relatively quick, easy, professional, and affordable. Look at the alternatives:
  • Don’t get adapter.
  • Pay outrageous markup on “At bay.”
  • Wait for Tesla to get around to releasing the adapter. (When?)
I have no problem paying their very reasonable markup.

Caveat: Not being compensated in any way by anyone for this opinion.
We are thinking of listing the product as is on our website so that it would show up better on Google, and customers wouldn't need to give us any login info. But we would need someone to collaborate with us ( sharing a login and we could do some profit sharing/commission )

Mine got delivered today as well. Real quick turn around Delivered shipping it out.

Glad to have it so quick, but I wound up on a last minute road trip this weekend where I had mutliple oppourtunies to use it. Oh well, there'll be plenty more!

Attachments

• 1651511070378.png
    1651511070378.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 54
However, we do set some margin of errors for the currency exchange rate to account for fluctuations.

We are thinking of listing the product as is on our website so that it would show up better on Google, and customers wouldn't need to give us any login info. But we would need someone to collaborate with us ( sharing a login and we could do some profit sharing/commission )
Nice to see you here on TMS.

I am also impressed with your service. However I do have one suggestion that was confusing about your order process. I learned that I had to establish an account in order to proceed. Waited a day for an email response and nothing. Tried again with first establishing an account and logged in. Then it has been smooth flow. It might help to make it known on the website that logging into a new account is important.
I just paid the invoice you emailed this morning EDT. Looking forward to your support here for others too.

Special thanks to tps5352 for his easy to follow guide.

Reactions: tps5352
I think they actually aren't limiting orders. I think they are just verifying the vin of the car on the account to make sure the adapter works on your car. I think they are trying to avoid pissed off customers that say the adapter doesn't work.
I'm not sure I buy that: I think some people who've placed orders have had older cars that they've had to do the DIY bundle-of-wires and ECU swap refit on to get CCS to actually work. If they wee actually doing much to check the VINS for compatibility, obviously those people wouldn't have been able to buy one.

I'm not sure I buy that: I think some people who've placed orders have had older cars that they've had to do the DIY bundle-of-wires and ECU swap refit on to get CCS to actually work. If they wee actually doing much to check the VINS for compatibility, obviously those people wouldn't have been able to buy one.
Did they get the adapter first? Was it the Tesla one, or the Ukraine one? I thought when I saw the posts on the retrofit, they got the ECU assembly first, to try to get it to say CCS enabled? (Genuinely curious, I don't know.) Either way, I don't think they are limiting orders anyways, as people have said they were able to order more than one. Even the proxy service folks said you can order multiple.

Mine is a Gen 3 on a 2020 M3LR and I've been able to buy two CCS adapters. Although my ECU was replaced under warranty in March 2021 and I'm not sure if I had a Gen 4 that got swapped to Gen 3 inadvertently.

My screen only says it suitable on a 2020 Model 3.

1651528132103.png

This could be a sure fire way to get this shut down. If one account has ordered 100 of these Tesla is going to wonder what's going on. Right now one or two per account and maybe the occasional account that has done five or ten probably doesn't get noticed, but a bunch going to the same address will get noticed at some point and then they'll be locked to just SK VINs.

Tesla likely doesn't care much about this right now, but if they wanted it mainstream in the North American market, they would add it to their Tesla shop. I can just picture the confused customers contacting Tesla about their "official Tesla adapter" that is more expensive than direct from Tesla not working on their car, or not working on both of their cars (a new and an old one) etc etc etc. Right now people have to search this out and do some research and it's very much "hope it works."

If it's turning up in Google results for anyone that is looking for an official adapter, that's a whole new level.