Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be a sure fire way to get this shut down. If one account has ordered 100 of these Tesla is going to wonder what's going on. Right now one or two per account and maybe the occasional account that has done five or ten probably doesn't get noticed, but a bunch going to the same address will get noticed at some point and then they'll be locked to just SK VINs.

Tesla likely doesn't care much about this right now, but if they wanted it mainstream in the North American market, they would add it to their Tesla shop. I can just picture the confused customers contacting Tesla about their "official Tesla adapter" that is more expensive than direct from Tesla not working on their car, or not working on both of their cars (a new and an old one) etc etc etc. Right now people have to search this out and do some research and it's very much "hope it works."

If it's turning up in Google results for anyone that is looking for an official adapter, that's a whole new level.

Agreed. I remember when the (Tesla-discontinued) Gen 2 Wall Connectors (like the Elon-"signed" version) were going for big bucks online. Eventually Tesla "stepped in" and sold them again for awhile at the standard price, stopping the "scalping." I wonder how it really works at the Tesla offices? Who brings these issues up and how far up the ladder do they go?

Anyway, I am half-expecting the otherwise helpful "Korea-Connection" to be somehow stopped at any point.

It's funny. When I first became aware of the CCS1 adapters for sale on the Tesla-Korea website (sometime after December, 2020), in my mind I briefly considered trying to order one. If early enough, maybe my order would have gone through? (Or maybe it would always have been stopped because my VIN is not for a Model 3/Y from SK.) But, anyway, I didn't believe that the CCS1 adapter would fit a Classic Model X charge-port and so I backed away from the adventure, and now we'll never know.

Agreed. I remember when the (Tesla-discontinued) Gen 2 Wall Connectors (like the Elon-"signed" version) were going for big bucks online. Eventually Tesla "stepped in" and sold them again for awhile at the standard price, stopping the "scalping." I wonder how it really works at the Tesla offices? Who brings these issues up and how far up the ladder do they go?

Anyway, I am half-expecting the otherwise helpful "Korea-Connection" to be somehow stopped at any point.

It's funny. When I first became aware of the CCS1 adapters for sale on the Tesla-Korea website (sometime after December, 2020), in my mind I briefly considered trying to order one. If early enough, maybe my order would have gone through? (Or maybe it would always have been stopped because my VIN is not for a Model 3/Y from SK.) But, anyway, I didn't believe that the CCS1 adapter would fit a Classic Model X charge-port and so I backed away from the adventure, and now we'll never know.
Initially if you didn’t have a standard range vehicle they canceled the order… like an actual human seemed to be approving them. My order got canceled a few times and always with the comment that priority was going to the standard range owners who needed it.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Although my ECU was replaced under warranty in March 2021 and I'm not sure if I had a Gen 4 that got swapped to Gen 3 inadvertently.
From the design of the thing, it's not really possible to swap gens (at least officially, yet - I've made an adapter for it :) ). In fact, further digging seems to reveal that the Gen3/Gen4 names actually come from the car itself - my 2018 for example calls itself "Gen3" in other places (doing an HVAC test and reviewing the result, the test name is "Gen3.somethingsomething"). Seems to be major differences between Gen3 and Gen4 cars in many places (heat pump replacing tons of components, black trim vs. chrome, different battery housing/connection, etc).

So I took the plunge with Harumio for a CCS1 adapter. Here's the progress to date:
  • 26 April - submitted initial inquiry and replied to email from Harumio asking if I wanted to be invoiced, providing my Tesla login info (PW changed to temp PW)
  • 27 April - received invoice, paid $318.50 via PayPal
  • 28 April - received email from Tesla (in Korean) after the proxy Harumio uses placed the order via my account
  • 28 April - received another email from Tesla Korea with the invoice for the CCS adapter order. My name is listed in the purchaser section, though a South Korean address in Seoul is listed.
It's May 3rd and no updates since the 28th. I shot an email to Harumio this morning to see if they had received my adapter yet.

From the design of the thing, it's not really possible to swap gens (at least officially, yet - I've made an adapter for it :) ). In fact, further digging seems to reveal that the Gen3/Gen4 names actually come from the car itself - my 2018 for example calls itself "Gen3" in other places (doing an HVAC test and reviewing the result, the test name is "Gen3.somethingsomething"). Seems to be major differences between Gen3 and Gen4 cars in many places (heat pump replacing tons of components, black trim vs. chrome, different battery housing/connection, etc).
That’s good to know. Mine was build early 2020 so I guess I need the bundle anyway

Since Elon did say the adapter would be made available to US in April, technically, going through the gauntlet of order process, it seems that is true. Proof is in the delivery. Plus he said that Tesla is considering opening up the Tesla network to CCS cars in the US, I doubt he would do that and then prevent Tesla owners from using their adapters especially since the car says it is enabled. I just feel we're all early adopters and in some way a beta test for Tesla. I'm sure they know US Teslas are obtaining these.

So with that said, the reality is Tesla Supercharger network is the largest in the US by a significant 58% with EA following at 14.4%. Plus it is growing faster than CCS so all this might soon be like owning a Chademo adapter in another year. I just have some traveling where Chargepoint, etc. CCS can bridge the gap between Tesla Superchargers. If Tesla adds a V3 is Canyonlands and Roswell NM than the CCS adapter and mobile EVSE will just stay in my Frunk.

Since Elon did say the adapter would be made available to US in April, technically, going through the gauntlet of order process, it seems that is true. Proof is in the delivery. Plus he said that Tesla is considering opening up the Tesla network to CCS cars in the US, I doubt he would do that and then prevent Tesla owners from using their adapters especially since the car says it is enabled. I just feel we're all early adopters and in some way a beta test for Tesla. I'm sure they know US Teslas are obtaining these.

So with that said, the reality is Tesla Supercharger network is the largest in the US by a significant 58% with EA following at 14.4%. Plus it is growing faster than CCS so all this might soon be like owning a Chademo adapter in another year. I just have some traveling where Chargepoint, etc. CCS can bridge the gap between Tesla Superchargers. If Tesla adds a V3 is Canyonlands and Roswell NM than the CCS adapter and mobile EVSE will just stay in my Frunk.

A lot of times EA locations are more convenient and frankly I've found EA to be very reliable. Also, they are growing quick so it's a nice choice to have.

"Elon said" doesn't mean anything at this point, IMO. He also said we'll have self driving cars in 2017 and that the Tesla bot will be operational this year.

I would LOVE to have the CCS adapter for my car. But I have a legacy S so it's not even compatible.

Reactions: cwerdna
Short video of CCS1 adapter in US

How is the car pulling 538A through the CCS adapter from the charger if the CCS spec is limited to 500A on the connector?
Or is the 500A limitation at the battery pack level, and the charger is able to deliver slightly higher than that to account for charging losses?

Looks like on the EVgo charging screen it shows "Max 950V"/"Max 540A", so EVgo themselves is breaking the CCS spec by providing a more than 500A-capable DCFC 😁
Wouldn't it be cool if the charger can max out both its voltage and amperage, 950V * 540A = 513 kW! Too bad it's capped at "349 kW".

(IIRC from Kyle's videos, other 400V/500A cars like Mercedes EQS and Rivian R1T stayed right at the 499A limit, so Tesla is breaking all kinds of specs here!)

Reactions: lynyrdM
How is the car pulling 538A through the CCS adapter from the charger if the CCS spec is limited to 500A on the connector?
What the spec says and what a device provides/implements can be two different things tho. For example, HDMI spec specifies 55mA @ 5v. But many HDMI dongles are able to pull more than that... Also, USB 2.0 specs specify maximum 500mA @ 5v. Many TVs will still happily provide more than 500mA, but it isn't required to. I know bjorn had a video where he mentioned that Tesla took some shortcuts with CCS on their superchargers, such that if it knows it is talking to a Tesla, it makes certain assumptions and bypasses certain CCS things, that it does not do, when you plug in a non-tesla CCS car. (I vaguely remember him talking about this when talking about the 500A limitation of CCS)

For me, it’s more a matter that I want peace of mind from knowing a backup option is available if needed.
Yes. I also have the Chademo and tried to use it twice at an EA and couldn't get it to work. But local EVGo Chademo connected right fast but then it was only 45KW. Still better than L2. Just enough to get to the SC. I bought the S for road trips and I love the beta FSD when traveling. Not perfect but has added a lot to driver assist on long trips. Speaking of peace of mind I also carry the Modern Spare and it saved me already. Happy traveling is having backup plan. :)

Since Elon did say the adapter would be made available to US in April
When did Elon say that? I never heard that.
The ability to use EA and EVGO (even if they are mostly only 50 kW) where there are no superchargers with the CCS adapter really makes traveling anywhere a 100% non-worry now. I will mostly still use the superchargers but Tesla is still filling in some gaps in places where you could get caught in a bind.

Tested the CCS adapter out yesterday on a 50kW ABB unit that also has a CHAdeMO connector. The charge profile felt a bit quicker than the CHAdeMO on ramping up to 45kW or so (my battery was around 11% SoC at the beginning of the charge). I'll have to do some more testing, but so far, it's a great adapter!

My setec adapter has allowed me to travel to places in Oklahoma for family that I otherwise would not have been able to do in my tesla. I'm looking forward to the faster speeds with the new adapter.

I assume that in order to use any CCS1 adapter (Tesla, EVHub, SETEC) your car has to be CCS-enabled?

You are lucky that your Model Y is (I assume) CCS-enabled because it looks like it was produced right in that period (6/21-10/21) when many new Models 3 & Y lost that function.

I assume that in order to use any CCS1 adapter (Tesla, EVHub, SETEC) your car has to be CCS-enabled?

You are lucky that your Model Y is (I assume) CCS-enabled because it looks like it was produced right in that period (6/21-10/21) when many new Models 3 & Y lost that function.
As someone else pointed out, no. My Y was made during the chip shortage so I didn't get the chip. I'm in the process of trying to get one though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and tps5352
No, the Setec one emulates the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. So any car that can use the CHAdeMO adapter should be able to use the Setec one.

Oh, interesting.

So that means SETEC can be used by all (or most) model-years in North America. (There was something about firmware updates necessary for certain cars [early Model 3?] to use CHAdeMO, and for the adapters themselves, also, if I recall?)

(Side note: In Europe [Type 2 plug] CHAdeMO adapters could only be used by Models S and X. And starting this year, new European Models S and X won't be able to use CHAdeMO adapters, hence the drastic price reductions in the European CHAdeMO adapter.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H