Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone here can help me. Been trying for hours to order the CCS adapter off the Tesla Korea site with no success. Others seem to have no difficulty with this part of the process. Two different credit cards and a debit card, three different browsers.
  1. I am able to login to the website and follow a link to the item and put it in the shopping cart. When I go to check out, I check the two disclaimer boxes and the credit card that was originally associated with my US Tesla account appears automatically.
  2. When I click the button to Purchase, it seems to be processing but then a popup box slides in and there is an error message, (translated through the Google translate/lens app), either Payment was declined", or "This currency not accepted. Select a different payment type".
  3. There is the one credit card that seems to carry over from US Tesla account and option to add a new card. Select new card option, and fill in info on a different card. Checking the disclaimer box at the bottom expands to reveal two more form fields, one translates to "6 digit registration code" that is actually asking for a date (YY/MM/DD) and the other a two-digit PIN. Reading online a couple of posts have said that they used the last day of the month for the expiration date (month and year) for the card, and the first two digits of the PIN (I'm assuming the three-digit SEC code on the back of the card that is frequently used on shopping websites.
  4. Click on Submit button and the popup form goes away without any message that adding the new card was successful. However, the type of card and the last four digits now show at the bottom of the original Purchase/Checkout form on the right, and when I click to Purchase, I get the error message again. The card I just attempted to add is not in the list of already added cards.
  5. I checked with my credit card company and there have not been any purchase attempts received, so the error is happening prior to the request for funds from the Tesla website to the credit card company. It's not that the purchase is being blocked in any way. I wish that were my problem, because that's an easy fix. I tried adding the credit cards on the US Tesla site and then accessing them on the Korea site, but that didn't work either.
Anyone have any insights on what I need to do differently?
Was anyone just able to use the credit card that was already associated with your US Tesla account?
You need a Korean address to ship to. Use Harumio, much easier and faster.

Hoping someone here can help me. Been trying for hours to order the CCS adapter off the Tesla Korea site with no success. Others seem to have no difficulty with this part of the process. Two different credit cards and a debit card, three different browsers.
  1. I am able to login to the website and follow a link to the item and put it in the shopping cart. When I go to check out, I check the two disclaimer boxes and the credit card that was originally associated with my US Tesla account appears automatically.
  2. When I click the button to Purchase, it seems to be processing but then a popup box slides in and there is an error message, (translated through the Google translate/lens app), either Payment was declined", or "This currency not accepted. Select a different payment type".
  3. There is the one credit card that seems to carry over from US Tesla account and option to add a new card. Select new card option, and fill in info on a different card. Checking the disclaimer box at the bottom expands to reveal two more form fields, one translates to "6 digit registration code" that is actually asking for a date (YY/MM/DD) and the other a two-digit PIN. Reading online a couple of posts have said that they used the last day of the month for the expiration date (month and year) for the card, and the first two digits of the PIN (I'm assuming the three-digit SEC code on the back of the card that is frequently used on shopping websites.
  4. Click on Submit button and the popup form goes away without any message that adding the new card was successful. However, the type of card and the last four digits now show at the bottom of the original Purchase/Checkout form on the right, and when I click to Purchase, I get the error message again. The card I just attempted to add is not in the list of already added cards.
  5. I checked with my credit card company and there have not been any purchase attempts received, so the error is happening prior to the request for funds from the Tesla website to the credit card company. It's not that the purchase is being blocked in any way. I wish that were my problem, because that's an easy fix. I tried adding the credit cards on the US Tesla site and then accessing them on the Korea site, but that didn't work either.
Was anyone just able to use the credit card that was already associated with your US Tesla account?
This is why some people like using proxy services that use a korean payment method... I don't know if this is the case with Tesla, but I know whenever I travel to Asia on business (which is quite frequently), you'll find that the payment networks are very different there. For example, the Costco in Taiwan uses Visa... But their payment processor cannot process just any Visa card, like it does in the US... They can only process Visa cards issued by Cathay bank. Likewise I've been to places in Korea and Japan, where they only accept "local" issued Visa cards.. I don't know if that's what's going on with Tesla Korea...

For number 3, don't check the box. It's for saving the card or something. You don't need to check it to use the card, and thus you don't get the weird boxes to fill in.

Reactions: FalconFour
I was having almost all the issues you described. I kept trying with different cards on both my and my wife's tesla accounts. Eventually, it worked for one of the Amex cards I tried. I think I used the expiration date for the 6 digit number, and the first 2 digits of the 4 digit CVV code for the PIN. It seems pretty random on what card works since I read Amex was declined for a lot of others. Now waiting for the adapter to reach Delivered Korea.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
For number 3, don't check the box. It's for saving the card or something. You don't need to check it to use the card, and thus you don't get the weird boxes to fill in.
Can confirm... was using Google Translate camera on my phone to translate parts of the order flow that didn't auto-translate properly otherwise. It seemed at first to mean "save my card in general :D " but it actually meant to "use this card for all future Tesla transactions" and thus needs more Korea-financial-specific info. I ended up getting my first (primary) card declined because I guess they don't like how spicy Korean ramen is, or something, but my CashApp card worked fine. Yet another reason I love me some good CashApp.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and kayak1
I was having issues with one of my cards declining for a couple days afterward even though they had declined the Harumio charge and I had told them the charge was legitimate.
Sometimes I wonder about the fraud detection logic. One time a few years ago, my coworker and I were returning from a business trip. He tried to buy Starbucks at LAX, and his credit card got declined. CC company told him that he tried using his CC in two far away states on the same day, triggering fraud detection. This was a few days before black friday. A few days later he shows up to work upset because his CC got declined at Starbucks again. This time it turns out it was because he was remodeling his house, and bought a washer dryer set online from a big box retailer.

Turns out the big box retailer charged his CC for a washer dryer every 60 seconds until he bit his credit limit of $30k or whatever. He was livid when he asked the CC company why trying to buy $10 of coffee triggered fraud, but $30k in washing machines was a-ok..

Sometimes I wonder about the fraud detection logic. One time a few years ago, my coworker and I were returning from a business trip. He tried to buy Starbucks at LAX, and his credit card got declined. CC company told him that he tried using his CC in two far away states on the same day, triggering fraud detection. This was a few days before black friday. A few days later he shows up to work upset because his CC got declined at Starbucks again. This time it turns out it was because he was remodeling his house, and bought a washer dryer set online from a big box retailer.

Turns out the big box retailer charged his CC for a washer dryer every 60 seconds until he bit his credit limit of $30k or whatever. He was livid when he asked the CC company why trying to buy $10 of coffee triggered fraud, but $30k in washing machines was a-ok..
Bet he was livid at the big box retailer, too!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Um,… Use Harumio? (Not joking. Have you considered that?)
Yes, but trying to avoid giving up account info if I could help it, and the Delivered Korea route is a bit cheaper. Plenty of others seemed to be able to make the purchase from Tesla Korea even if they weren't successful initially. If no one is able to help me figure out what is going wrong, I'll go with Harumio. In fact, had requested an invoice from them and haven't heard back.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I used the first 2 digits of the card, not the pin
You need a Korean address to ship to. Use Harumio, much easier and faster.
I do have a Korean address to ship to, as I registered with Delivered Korea. Harumio will be my next option, if none of the suggestions here work, and if they respond to my request for an invoice that I sent yesterday morning.

I was having almost all the issues you described. I kept trying with different cards on both my and my wife's tesla accounts. Eventually, it worked for one of the Amex cards I tried. I think I used the expiration date for the 6 digit number, and the first 2 digits of the 4 digit CVV code for the PIN. It seems pretty random on what card works since I read Amex was declined for a lot of others. Now waiting for the adapter to reach Delivered Korea.
Glad it worked for you, especially since others said Amex wouldn't work for them. Appreciate the info!

I had seen somebody report that, and pretty sure I tried it on a couple of the cards, but I will give that another go. And you used the last day of the month of the expiration date for the "6 digit registration" field? It seems odd that they ask for the expiration date twice.
Yeah, I used the last day of the month of the expiration (bought 2 that way). I read someone used their birthday and it worked for them as well.

I do have a Korean address to ship to, as I registered with Delivered Korea. Harumio will be my next option, if none of the suggestions here work, and if they respond to my request for an invoice that I sent yesterday morning.

Keep in mind that they are 16 hours ahead, and may not be working on their weekends. Right now it is 10:22 am, Monday morning in Seoul, South Korea, whereas it is 6:22 pm on Sunday night where I am in California.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy3292