Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video is pretty interesting. It's a 1000 mile "race" between an Audi Q5, a Model S Plaid, and a Mach-E... One of the interesting things they pointed out, was that it was not actually the chargers per-se that screwed over the Mach-E... It was the the route guidance in the Mach-E that sucks. He was saying, that because of the way the superchargers are vertically integrated, the Tesla will tell you availability, and can plan accordingly if the SC is full/busted/etc... The Mach-E on the other hand, does not have/present this information. In this race, the Mach-E kept directing them to a charger that was offline. They were pissed at one of the stops, becuase when they called the support number, support said they saw the charger was offline on their end... But this information was not relayed to the Mach-E. Because there were no chargers close by, they had to L2 charge for a bit, and then go off course to get to a working charger. They were so far off course, they had to completely skip the waypoint in the race. They even found some of the chargers in the Mach-E navigation were misclassified. Some of them were marked as DC Fastcharging in the navigation, but when they arrived, it was actually a 7.2kw L2 charger. Their conclusion was to not trust the navigation in the car, and use the EA App to find chargers. A bit extreme, but was an interesting take.

Here is the in depth video from the first day, that shows more details of what went wrong for the Mach-E team.
The video is completely biased.

The guy admitted that he knew that those chargers were going down for maintenance for one day, yet he intentionally drove to those down chargers on that specific day to cause drama.

Imagine if someone parks a Tesla vehicle head-in at a Supercharger so that the cable won't reach and count that as Supercharger failure.
Except I doubt that is really necessarily the case. Unlike how you are characterizing it, I'm not getting the impression that EA has the longest cables in the industry, instead I'm getting the opposite.
Heck, there's a complaint right under their own tips tweet at the beginning of the year:

I tried to find explicit examples. This comment gave enough details to identify the specific stall and station and issue:
Electrify America - Station and charger issues....
512241.jpg

Del Amo Fashion Center - Old Navy | PlugShare

These are angled pull in spots (not 90 degree spots), so the car is supposed to go in only one way. If you have a Bolt and you park in the spot the i3 is parking (or the spot on the left where silver car is parking), the cable pretty much would have to reach the other side (Bolt's port is on front left). The person in the linked thread instead has a ID.4 (port is on rear right) and the spot they would have trouble is the spot to the right of the i3.

428281.jpg

There are also spots like this with handicap access routes which you aren't supposed to park on the lines, which makes the distance even further.

As the person mentioned, EA may have chargers with two cables, but they are on the same side (instead of having charger in front of car), so they don't actually really help when the port is on the other side (still can't reach anyways). The complaints are likely talking about how for a lot of stalls, cable would need to be long enough to reach over the car (like how it is at some gas stations) to work out due to how EA decided to place the chargers relative to the spaces. Reaching over the car is made even harder in this case due to how the connector must be plugged in right side up (at gas stations you can angle or even have the nozzle upside down).

Last edited:
Except I doubt that is really necessarily the case. Unlike how you are characterizing it, I'm not getting the impression that EA has the longest cables in the industry, instead I'm getting the opposite.
Heck, there's a complaint right under their own tips tweet at the beginning of the year:

I tried to find explicit examples. This comment gave enough details to identify the specific stall and station and issue:
Electrify America - Station and charger issues....
512241.jpg

Del Amo Fashion Center - Old Navy | PlugShare

These are angled pull in spots (not 90 degree spots), so the car is supposed to go in only one way. If you have a Bolt and you park in the spot the i3 is parking (or the spot on the left where silver car is parking), the cable pretty much would have to reach the other side (Bolt's port is on front left). The person in the linked thread instead has a ID.4 (port is on rear right) and the spot they would have trouble is the spot to the right of the i3.

428281.jpg

There are also spots like this with handicap access routes which you aren't supposed to park on the lines, which makes the distance even further.

As the person mentioned, EA may have chargers with two cables, but they are on the same side (instead of having charger in front of car), so they don't actually really help when the port is on the other side (still can't reach anyways). The complaints are likely talking about how for a lot of stalls, cable would need to be long enough to reach over the car (like how it is at some gas stations) to work out due to how EA decided to place the chargers relative to the spaces. Reaching over the car is made even harder in this case due to how the connector must be plugged in right side up (at gas stations you can angle or even have the nozzle upside down).
If you park and the cable can't reach your vehicle, you just re-park your vehicle.

It's not rocket science.

Last edited:
The video is completely biased.

The guy admitted that he knew that those chargers were going down for maintenance for one day, yet he intentionally drove to those down chargers on that specific day to cause drama.
Still doesn't negate the fact that the Mach-E will try to route you to non functional chargers, or to fast chargers that are actually L2 chargers

Reactions: Rocky_H and Genie
Still doesn't negate the fact that the Mach-E will try to route you to non functional chargers, or to fast chargers that are actually L2 chargers
Less than a year ago, Tesla was routing drivers to a non-functional Supercharger in Normal, Illinois even though it was down for over a month.

Imagine if someone knew that that Supercharger is down and intentionally dove there to strand himself/herself just to make drama for YouTube.

Good question. If I see the adapter exceed rated amperage, I will take temperature of the adapter as that would be a good measure of the durability of the device. I have a scanning IR thermometer I use to measure heat in electrical equipment. But my plan is to use it mostly with my Model S and it probably won't exceed 200KW unless the battery is at optimum preconditioned. I only ever hit that one time on a 250KW supercharger. Since, I rarely do 160KW peak. My Model Y is a different story and that frequently would peak for a few seconds at 250KW but since I no longer get free SC on the Y I only charge at home now. We use the Y for local driving and on trips go in the S as it is a better road tripper.
I finally tested mine out yesterday at an EA charger and got to 133 kW on a 17 minute charging session. The adapter wasn't hot or even warm at all. Ambient temperature outside was 73 F for reference. So that was good news to see.

• Informative
Reactions: TravelFree
i placed an order thursday may 5th in the morning (so late night/wee hours in korea friday). used delivered. used debit visa car (apple card and another mastercard did not work). there was a holiday on friday out in korea so hopefully today tesla korea will get the order dispatched to delivered. this holiday and ordering over the weekend will extend my time quite a bit.

Less than a year ago, Tesla was routing drivers to a non-functional Supercharger in Normal, Illinois even though it was down for over a month.

Imagine if someone knew that that Supercharger is down and intentionally dove there to strand himself/herself just to make drama for YouTube.
Where did he admit he knew it was down? Unless I missed it, I rewatched the behind the scenes video again and didn't see where be admitted that. But either way, you mention normal, but that is one station. These guys got routed to broken chargers multiple times on the same trip. But yes, if they did this on purpose by navigating to a broken charger on purpose multiple times, then blaming the car, that is crazy stupid.