Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a -00B Gen 4 board while on a road trip at a service center along the way, ordered my CCS1 adapter through Harumio and my car has an update available

20C5CA17-1333-4D42-9347-C20C606496FC.png

I've had time to mull over what to do with a CHAdeMO adapter while waiting for CCS. The 'CCS is down' argument is not very convincing since if CCS is down, it is likely that CHAdeMO is also. I'll probably end up keeping it for the older Teslas that are not equipped for CCS, as part of the community rental we offer here in Albuquerque.
Interesting. I literally just read (~ 3 min ago) about a CHademo being down but the CCS was not while looking at places to charge near my daughter in Denver. I think a Walmart site.

Right, I asked another guy who used it, and he said it should have just had the "ship it!" button right there. Mine did not. For some reason, the interface changed when I did as I was instructed, and "submitted their happy little incoming form" first-thing when I logged in - which seems to have completely broken the process (hooray, instruct people to do something, in a place that's hard to find, in an unusual way - and the people that actually follow the directions get penalized for reading!). After submitting the form, the only option on the Packages page was to "repackage" it. At the time, I assumed that meant to prepare it to become shippable (as there was no other thing on the site offering shipment). Instead, all I probably needed to do was ... wait... a whole additional day... for them to process The Form I Didn't Need to Fill Out that Their FAQ Says I Should Fill Out™. Yay.

What other people seem to have done:
1) order through Tesla, ship to Delivered
2) one week or so later, Delivered sends an email saying it arrived
3) log in to Delivered and smash the "give it to me" button
4) receive it :D

What I did:
1) signed up with Delivered, spent a good few minutes trying to find a guide on how to order/ship, ended up piecing-together information from the FAQ
1) frustratedly try submitting their "incoming stuff form", and being unable to do so, because it's asking for a tracking number I have no ability to have at the time of trying to fill out the form (before placing the order)
1) ordered through Tesla, ship to Delivered
2) every few days, check Tesla's site for any form of tracking number I could give to Delivered to fill-out their REQUIRED FORM OF DOOM.
2) one week or so later, Delivered sends an email saying it arrived
3) I log in to Delivered, and find that the form is ready to be completed, which includes a tracking number that--...
3) I log in to Tesla, which still doesn't show any tracking number...
3) --... that I never had. Great.
3) I submit the form and go to the Packages tab where the only option is to request "repackaging" (there is no shipping button anywhere on the page in this distorted timeline).
3) I submit a ticket saying "BRO PLEASE DONT THROW AWAY THE PACKAGING OH MY GOD AHHHH" basically
3) I wait for Korea to wake up 😪
Sorry to hear that you went through all that. I also thought about using Delivered to save ~$30, but ultimately went with Harumio because they already have a process in place specifically for the CCS adapter, and many of the members here had positive experience with them. Hope you will receive the adapter soon without more issues.

I've had time to mull over what to do with a CHAdeMO adapter while waiting for CCS. The 'CCS is down' argument is not very convincing since if CCS is down, it is likely that CHAdeMO is also. I'll probably end up keeping it for the older Teslas that are not equipped for CCS, as part of the community rental we offer here in Albuquerque.
I like this community rental idea. I know folks have shared/rented their CHAdeMO adapters in the past. How do you make the availability of your adapter known to your local Tesla community? I have mentioned mine a long time ago at a local EV club meeting but that was so long ago that I doubt anybody even remembers.

I like this community rental idea. I know folks have shared/rented their CHAdeMO adapters in the past. How do you make the availability of your adapter known to your local Tesla community? I have mentioned mine a long time ago at a local EV club meeting but that was so long ago that I doubt anybody even remembers.

New Mexico has an Albuquerque - Santa Fe weighted Tesla Owners club. I haven't gone to meetings in a while but I mentioned the rental availability on the club's FaceBook page and linked to the rental page. I don't want to abuse my welcome there so I'm mulling over how often I can post a reminder without being accused of spamming. I should take this up with the club admin

Reactions: mscott
I would be interested to know how many Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapters have actually been sold and imported into North America so far. As others have said, although it seems like a big deal to us (on the pertinent TMC forums), the actual number of Tesla customers truly interested in a "pirate" (albeit genuine) product from overseas may be small in comparison to:
  1. The overall population of all Tesla owners. (Currently only some, not all, 2020-to-present model-years are CCS compatible.)
  2. The subset of owners with CCS-enabled cars. (After all, not all drivers need, want, or even know about the adapter.)
  3. The smaller subset of drivers who truly do want a CCS1 adapter. (But not all drivers want or are able to "risk" a purchase now, from a distant country and for possibly more money than Tesla will eventually sell it for.)
This leaves us with a relatively small but (p)lucky group actually being allowed to make the not-insignificant purchase by their (dubious and long-suffering) partners. ;)
This would be called a grey market adapter, not a pirate one. Much like grey market camera equipment.

I am very happy with my CCS1 adapter, thanks for the help.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I'm having a surprisingly awful experience with Delivered so far.

First off: they ask for a tracking number before you can even submit a form saying "hey, you should expect a package". So, there's no way to notify Delivered in advance that something is coming. By design, they have to "act surprised" that they received something you didn't warn them about! Isn't that great design? I would have warned them if their site allowed me to submit the form without requiring tracking (which I won't have - and still never had!).

Today, a week or so after ordering, it arrived at Delivered. Great, now I can fill out the form. Fill out the form, how? Well, "describe the item". Uhh... a CCS adapter. Surely you know what that means, right? (hmm). But if you hit "Esc" by accident on the form (when canceling the file-browse dialog for the screenshot, hit it twice), it'll collapse and erase everything I'd entered, have to start over. So, I filled out the form twice, and submitted it once...

Next, ?? 😀 ?? There is no contingency, the site just kinda leaves you guessing what comes next. So, I go to My Packages. It's there. Cool. Uh, what now? I check the box, and it offers me one option: "Repackage". I suppose, that means to get it ready to ship to me, right?

As I later read, that seems to imply they will take it out of its packaging and discard the packaging... NO! God, no! I want the box. I didn't want to do that. Guess what? There's no way to cancel that request - you're stuck now.

To this moment, I still haven't found any way to check a box and say "please ship this to me". We're just stuck, now waiting on my support requests to say "don't process my repackage request, just ship the damn thing to me!".

Would definitely not recommend using Delivered right now. It's been a huge hassle. A well designed website should not need a meticulous step-by-step guide (which I can't even find - they only have a poorly-formatted FAQ that's hard to navigate to, as the only place you can reach from the main site is the "contact us" page, and from there you can access the FAQ). This site needs a step-by-step workflow, but it only offers confusion.
I was also very confused by their site too. I also thought the only way to advance it and pay for shipping was to do the repackaging service. A day later I got an email and it said they had cancelled repackaging because it was already in a small box. So at that point I didn't know what to do. I figured out if you go back to "My Packages", check the checkbox next to your package and click "Add to cart" it will take you to the next step, which is picking how you want it shipped to you. I don't think the "Add to cart" button visually changes when you click the checkbox next to your package, so it's really hard to know what to do, it worked. Label was created today and waiting for FedEx to pick it up. Let me know if you have more questions or if something wasn't clear.

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
I was also very confused by their site too. I also thought the only way to advance it and pay for shipping was to do the repackaging service. A day later I got an email and it said they had cancelled repackaging because it was already in a small box. So at that point I didn't know what to do. I figured out if you go back to "My Packages", check the checkbox next to your package and click "Add to cart" it will take you to the next step, which is picking how you want it shipped to you. I don't think the "Add to cart" button visually changes when you click the checkbox next to your package, so it's really hard to know what to do, it worked. Label was created today and waiting for FedEx to pick it up. Let me know if you have more questions or if something wasn't clear.
Yep, that was it! At least... after I just logged in, and (now that Korea is awake/business hours) my erroneous "repackaging" request was canceled and the package was returned to the list, now as a 2nd entry. Prior to that, after the "repackaging" request was non-cancelable, I had no options.

Still had a few extra bumps (had to find my way back to the "My Page", through the top-left logo, to complete "my full name" in my profile, for example), but finally, $40 later, it's on its way.

I forgot to manually key-in the "2" to use my $2 account credit (I did on the first go, before the "extra bump" sent me back home to add my stupid name to the account), so it didn't use that either, which is just a final slap in the face. Proper web design would have either (a) asked for that during sign-up, (b) used my shipping address (which by design includes my name) as my name, or (c) applied the credit automatically.

Just an overall horrible experience, definitely not something I'll be recommending to anyone except those already familiar with their service.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
Did you car come with a nerfed gen 4 board, or a gen 3 board? (ie, do you have mid 21 or a early/pre '20?) Just curious.
My Model 3 delivered in September of 2021 and I have a nerfed Gen 4. I did have my chargeport replaced under warranty early on last year so I don’t know if the initial board may have been a -00B or also a nerfed -80B.

I only figured out I had a nerfed board when the V11 software update came out around Christmas time last year.

My Model 3 delivered in September of 2021 and I have a nerfed Gen 4. I did have my chargeport replaced under warranty early on last year so I don’t know if the initial board may have been a -00B or also a nerfed -80B.

I only figured out I had a nerfed board when the V11 software update came out around Christmas time last year.
Where do you find the info about whether you have a "nerfed" board or not?

I placed my order through this link earlier today. I sent them a follow up email to see if they still need my Tesla credentials. I guess I'll find out when they open back up on SK time. It will be interesting to see how fast Tesla shuts this down.....
I also placed an order yesterday and am wondering when they will reach out. Let me know. I'll keep you up to date as well!