Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, so cars without CCS support have the "nerfed" boards? My SR+ 3 was a July '21 build...I figured every 3 built after that had CCS enabled.
I'm not sure what the early builds (pre 2020') will say, or if they have a CCS line item in the UI, as those have the gen 3 boards.... I think someone posted that they had a gen 3 board, and it just said CCS Not Installed. But he had a pre 2020' I think. I think the boards were updated to Gen4 sometime in 2020. So if you have mid'21 build, and it says CCS Not Installed, you have a nerfed gen 4 board... From what I can tell, the builds that came with the nerfed gen 4 boards are late June'21 to Aug'21. I have a early June'21 build, and I still have CCS enabled... I think I saw a mixed bag with some folks with Sep'21 builds with and without CCS enabled. If you have a nerfed gen 4 board, it should be an easy plug n' play swap, (in addition to firmware updates) If you have a Gen 3 board, you have to modify the harnass slightly before you can use the gen 4 because of some missing sensors on the gen 3 board compared to a gen 4.

Oh, so cars without CCS support have the "nerfed" boards? My SR+ 3 was a July '21 build...I figured every 3 built after that had CCS enabled.

There was a period of time in 2021 where some cars came through with nerfed boards. You need to look at the Software tab, and touch "Additional vehicle information" to see if CCS is enabled for your car or not.

There was a period of time in 2021 where some cars came through with nerfed boards. You need to look at the Software tab, and touch "Additional vehicle information" button to see if CCS is enabled for your car or not.
I'm guessing that's why Tesla has not released the adapter in the US/NA yet. Too many cars that are not compatible and need hardware/software retrofits to be able to use the adapter.

But if the UI says it is enabled, you are good. RIght? I have a 8/20 MYLR build and it says CCS enabled.

Does that also mean I can't use a CHAdeMO?

You have the best of all worlds. You can use any of the three - Tesla, CHAdeMO, and CCS.

(Of course now some pundit will want to know what it would take to also use GB/T in China...)

But if the UI says it is enabled, you are good. RIght? I have a 8/20 MYLR build and it says CCS enabled.

Does that also mean I can't use a CHAdeMO?
Look, I don't know what is meant by "nerfed" but I have a Model S mfg in Feb 2020 and it has "CCS enabled" I also own a Tesla Chademo adapter and it works. Last I used it was on EVGo DCFC and it ran at 50KW peak. My 2021 April Build Model Y also says CCS enabled. I never tested the Chademo adapter on the Y.

I ordered the Harumio service CCS adapter and got word it is out for delivery today. Planning to test it on my Model S when it arrives.

Reactions: kayak1 and KJD
Look, I don't know what is meant by "nerfed" but I have a Model S mfg in Feb 2020 and it has "CCS enabled" I also own a Tesla Chademo adapter and it works. Last I used it was on EVGo DCFC and it ran at 50KW peak. My 2021 April Build Model Y also says CCS enabled. I never tested the Chademo adapter on the Y.

I ordered the Harumio service CCS adapter and got word it is out for delivery today. Planning to test it on my Model S when it arrives.
Nerfed just refers to how there was a revision made in mid'21 due to supply chain issues... The revision was they removed a part on the board that handled the signaling on the CCS communication pins. Without this part, the car can't talk to a CCS charger.

As far as Chademo is concerned, the reason why people say that if you have CCS enabled, and you have a CCS adapter, you don't need Chademo anymore, becuase from what I can tell, I have never seen a charging station that had Chademo but did NOT have CCS... Most of the chademo stations I've seen, not only have CCS, they usually have more CCS plugs than chademo plugs...

Look, I don't know what is meant by "nerfed"...
"Nerfed" in the gaming sense of "they took away an ability or made it less good" (as in "suddenly they made my barbarian's axe like it's made by nerf"/"they nerfed that, yeah"). They were making Gen4 cars with CCS, then they had some kind of chip issue and started shipping Gen 4 cars with either Gen 3 boards or a Gen4 chip without the CCS portion, so there was at least one period when the person who ordered a month before you might have had CCS, and somebody ordering a month after you had CCS, and you all three ordered the same options, but your car didn't have CCS because it got the "nerfed" ECU.

Reactions: FalconFour
"Nerfed" in the gaming sense of "they took away an ability or made it less good" (as in "suddenly they made my barbarian's axe like it's made by nerf"/"they nerfed that, yeah"). They were making Gen4 cars with CCS, then they had some kind of chip issue and started shipping Gen 4 cars with either Gen 3 boards or a Gen4 chip without the CCS portion, so there was at least one period when the person who ordered a month before you might have had CCS, and somebody ordering a month after you had CCS, and you all three ordered the same options, but your car didn't have CCS because it got the "nerfed" ECU.
Ahhh, brings back memories of my Call of Duty days....

Nerfed just refers to how there was a revision made in mid'21 due to supply chain issues... The revision was they removed a part on the board that handled the signaling on the CCS communication pins. Without this part, the car can't talk to a CCS charger.
OK that makes sense. Thanks.

Locally we had an EVGo and Nissan Dealer that only had a Chademo and a J1772. Recently when EVGo expanded their number of stations here, they took away the J1772 and installed the CCS + Chademo. Nissan also upgraded theirs to CCS + Chademo last year. I'm sure that there may be a few chademo only chargers around the country but the move will be to upgrade them all if owned by the larger networks.

Probably for me as a traveler, I would be more interested in any experience where chademo works and CCS did not at those locations. There is a reason to keep and maintain chademo because there are many older Nissan Leaf's that only had chademo connections for DCFC. I have a friend in Oklahoma who relies on chademo for his travels. I suspect he will soon order the CCS adapter too but a recent YT showed some problems as usual with the CCS independents in OK. Ref.: Out of Spec video

Hit 190kW! Preconditioned by selecting nearby supercharger.

ccs1-ea350.png

A bit of drift / off topic

Question on the adapter. I was playing around with ABetterRoutePlanner tonight and noticed that in the types of chargers settings it has both a Tesla CCS and CCS. What is the difference and should both be selected?
I'm pretty sure "Tesla CCS" are all non-US Superchargers, so if you're in the US, it shouldn't make any difference if you select that or not. You would definitely want to select "CCS" if you will have the adapter.

Reactions: spokey