Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of drift / off topic

Question on the adapter. I was playing around with ABetterRoutePlanner tonight and noticed that in the types of chargers settings it has both a Tesla CCS and CCS. What is the difference and should both be selected?
I suspect "Tesla CCS" are Tesla superchargers in Europe that Elon has opened for CCS-2 equipped cars. I'd go ahead and check both and see if there were any "Tesla CCS" chargers on my route, then maybe we could figure it out for sure.

I'm pretty sure "Tesla CCS" are all non-US Superchargers, so if you're in the US, it shouldn't make any difference if you select that or not. You would definitely want to select "CCS" if you will have the adapter.
I have it set to Tesla SC, Tesla CCS, and CCS. You'll also want to work with the network preferences, also in the Chargers & Networks section of the settings.

Question on the adapter. I was playing around with ABetterRoutePlanner tonight and noticed that in the types of chargers settings it has both a Tesla CCS and CCS. What is the difference and should both be selected?
Tesla CCS are tesla v3 superchargers that have CCS connectors only (mainly applies to Europe, US does not have have this yet, although Elon tweeted he will soon add CCS1 connectors). It was added on user request due to the fact there was a CCS2 adapter and retrofit that made them usable by Model S/X that originally didn't have CCS support and owners of those vehicles wanted to route through those stations also (originally ABPP only did that for Model 3; Model S/X wouldn't be routed through those stations at all). More details in thread here:
CCS charging option for Tesla model S and X

Last edited:

I did not even know there were options with ABRP. I just thought it was locked in when you selected your vehicle. There are so many options (not a bad thing) to go through. Learn something new everyday.

Reactions: spokey
Tesla CCS are tesla v3 superchargers that have CCS connectors only (mainly applies to Europe, US does not have have this yet, although Elon tweeted he will soon add CCS1 connectors). It was added on user request due to the fact there was a CCS2 adapter and retrofit that made them usable by Model S/X that originally didn't have CCS support and owners of those vehicles wanted to route through those stations also (originally ABPP only did that for Model 3; Model S/X wouldn't be routed through those stations at all). More details in thread here:
CCS charging option for Tesla model S and X
That mean they are CCS2? Or just that it's a tesla and CCS (only)? So CCS1 in the US and CCS2 in EU?

That mean they are CCS2? Or just that it's a tesla and CCS (only)? So CCS1 in the US and CCS2 in EU?
It only says "Tesla CCS" on ABPP (not "CSS2" specifically) so presumably if Tesla creates a CCS1-only station, it would include those, but right now such stations don't exist in the USA. Here in the USA we don't even have the dual head superchargers yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Any experiences charging with CCS1 at the Francis Energy locations ?
One guy posted in the TOCO Facebook group about it. He was very happy mostly because of how the charging speeds make Francis’ per minute billing structure tenable and cheaper than Supercharging.

I believe he was seeing around 130-140kW peak with his Model S (plaid generation) at the BTC high power stations.

Once I’m all setup with my new ECU and adapter I’ll be doing plenty of my own testing as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Once I’m all setup with my new ECU and adapter I’ll be doing plenty of my own testing as well.

Nice !

Francis energy grabbed a lot of dieselgate money in NM to install DC charging but they install 50 kW** stalls while charging high per minute rates. So it is going to be expensive, but it is a whole lot better than nothing which is what we have for now.

** One sorry location has 25 kW charging at 40¢ a minute. Call it $1 a kWh, plus a $1 session fee.

Last edited:
I was going to go the Harumio route, but I really don't want to give out my Tesla account credentials (even if I do change the password, which then breaks the Tesla app—and other apps like Tessie). I saw another member here mention Delivered, and while it might be slightly more complicated, I don't have to mess with sending credentials via email and risk having them misused/intercepted. Once someone gets your Tesla credentials, they can change the email and password on your account and lock you out. I'll take the hassle of a proxy service vs. that risk. Ask me again in 2-4 weeks when/if I actually get the adapter. ;)
I went with Harumio, ordered May 3rd, received the adapter May 12th. They are an honest and solid company.. I changed my password, as they recommend, gave them the login info, waited for the email from Korea Tesla Shop that the order had been completed (less than a day), then changed my password back. No broken apps, although I did need to supply my credentials again on next app use.
I have a 2021 Model S refresh with CCS adapter support enabled. The adapter fits just fine. However I only received 7.17 kWh of charge over four minutes and three sessions, none of which would persist longer than 2 minutes. It may be a problem with that specific station, so the jury is still out. The next closest station is a five hour drive...

Reactions: tps5352
I posted my experience with the adapter at EA here:

I went with Harumio, ordered May 3rd, received the adapter May 12th. They are an honest and solid company.. I changed my password, as they recommend, gave them the login info, waited for the email from Korea Tesla Shop that the order had been completed (less than a day), then changed my password back. No broken apps, although I did need to supply my credentials again on next app use.
I have a 2021 Model S refresh with CCS adapter support enabled. The adapter fits just fine. However I only received 7.17 kWh of charge over four minutes and three sessions, none of which would persist longer than 2 minutes. It may be a problem with that specific station, so the jury is still out. The next closest station is a five hour drive...

Wow, you are a real example of someone who really needs a CCS1 adapter. Glad you got it but sorry to hear that charging performance is not great. I have 0 (zero) expertise with your specific situation, however some random thoughts:
  • Check with other cars using that station--what speeds are they getting?
  • Or try another electric car (borrow from a friend)?
  • If you can, try another Tesla with your adapter.
  • Do you know of anyone else in your area with this Tesla CCS1 adapter that could be tested there?
  • Temperatures (of your battery, the station itself)--has it been really cold?
  • Call to the company responsible for that station--have any complaints been filed?
  • What did you use before for traveling--CHAdeMO, maybe? What kind of charging speed did that provide?
  • Have you used this station before (with a different cable)? What speeds did you get then?
That seems really low, since some people in the lower 48 are reporting over 150 kW sessions. Hope you can get it straightened out.

Good for you for using an electric car in Alaska!

Nice !

Francis energy grabbed a lot of dieselgate money in NM to install DC charging but they install 50 kW** stalls while charging high per minute rates. So it is going to be expensive, but it is a whole lot better than nothing which is what we have for now.

** One sorry location has 25 kW charging at 40¢ a minute. Call it $1 a kWh, plus a $1 session fee.
Francis Energy won grants for 19 locations in New Mexico, but has so far only installed at two locations.

Even 50 kW chargers are godsent considering that most parts of the state lack DCFCs.

Also, the 62.5A chargers installed in Clines Corners are an absolute disgrace.

You have to have an 800V vehicle just to get 50 kW.

Last edited:
My experience with CCS stations "off the beaten path" of EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, has been... 😀spotty😀 and well-aligned with what's reported there. Other station manufacturers are still learning how to make a station robust, especially with the overwhelming complexity of the CCS protocol. When it stops, and you didn't tell it to, it could be the car or the station that dropped the ball, and the other side (station or car) responded by stopping the whole thing.

IOW: you seem to be experiencing "faults". 😄 The station screen will rarely tell you it's a fault, though - it just kinda logs it, and treats it like you stopped it somehow.

I'd suggest, first, looking on the screen of the station for "driver support" or a contact number for support. They won't care it's a Tesla - actually they'll be intrigued and perhaps excited (every non-Tesla station manufacturer is orgasmic at the thought of tapping into the Tesla driver base) to try and diagnose.

It oughtn't be doing that. But the slow (ish) speed is standard for that station, I believe.

Did some digging into the adapter tech info. It seems that current higher than 300A DC is not supported. If the charger supplies that at 500v DC then the power is 500 x 300 = 150000 watts. I wonder if this adapter is connected to a 350KW EA charger and the Tesla is preconditioned to receive maximum charge, exceeding the 300A limit a fault is generated.

In my first test, I achieved 146KW peak on the Tesla screen , 148 on the EA charger screen, which did not shut down. My Model S was not preconditioned. The charging ramped down to 120KW when I reached 35%SOC. It all looked quite normal to me compared to using a Tesla 250KW cabinet.

I then drove to a Tesla V3 SC about 5 miles away and hooked up. Beginning at 34% SOC, I quickly ramped up to 160KW. I charged to 75% SOC and ended up at 71 KW. By now I suspect the Battery may have been at higher temperature from the EA charging session. I did not set the destination to activate preconditioning.

I'm guessing here but maybe when using the CCS adapter it is better to use a 150 KW cabinet as opposed to the 350 one and avoid possibly exceeding the ratings of the adapter to avoid any possible faults that would trigger a shutdown of the session?

Did some digging into the adapter tech info. It seems that current higher than 300A DC is not supported. If the charger supplies that at 500v DC then the power is 500 x 300 = 150000 watts. I wonder if this adapter is connected to a 350KW EA charger and the Tesla is preconditioned to receive maximum charge, exceeding the 300A limit a fault is generated.

In my first test, I achieved 146KW peak on the Tesla screen , 148 on the EA charger screen, which did not shut down. My Model S was not preconditioned. The charging ramped down to 120KW when I reached 35%SOC. It all looked quite normal to me compared to using a Tesla 250KW cabinet.

I then drove to a Tesla V3 SC about 5 miles away and hooked up. Beginning at 34% SOC, I quickly ramped up to 160KW. I charged to 75% SOC and ended up at 71 KW. By now I suspect the Battery may have been at higher temperature from the EA charging session. I did not set the destination to activate preconditioning.

I'm guessing here but maybe when using the CCS adapter it is better to use a 150 KW cabinet as opposed to the 350 one and avoid possibly exceeding the ratings of the adapter to avoid any possible faults that would trigger a shutdown of the session?
There's been a number of people trying the adapter on "350 kW" cabinets and pulling >170 kW, even up to 190 or 200 kW, and I don't think any have reported the adapter even getting much more than warm. I suspect the 300 amp rating is precautionary, conservative, and possibly a "continuous" rating that can be exceeded for short charging sessions of well under an hour where there will be substantial time for the adapter to cool before the next use and its temperature may be being monitored by sensors on both the car and station side.

2021 Model 3 LR. Built in December 2020.

Graph is from Teslamate; similar to TeslaFi except you can host it yourself.
Thanks. I'll have to look that up. I found it strange the current was listed as "Pilot" and indicated a very low power level for such a high power level.

Current would have been 475A which greatly exceeds the specs on the adapter based on your real power and voltage.