Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to find out if Tesla got any of the charger install rebates on their supercharger stations. Under current rules, they don't qualify as they don't have CCS and/or CHAdeMO on them, though Tesla has said they plan to add that. In the past, was it possible to get the rebate without it?

Anyway, if the EA and other stations got $60,000 rebates for install, of course they can underprice Tesla, even with Tesla selling at break even, and Tesla being much cheaper at building stations than the others.

And no wonder Tesla will be happy to add CCS cords (and CdM in California) if they can get $60K rebates on each station!

Reactions: kayak1
I came clean about it, but I really don't have a problem with that. They said that unfortunately, they could not support that CCS adapter...
Once the Tesla brand CSS adapter is sold in USA, I suspect Tesla USA will be more helpful. To their credit, they probably have not been trained to deal with CSS questions since the product is not sold in USA yet.

Once the Tesla brand CSS adapter is sold in USA, I suspect Tesla USA will be more helpful. To their credit, they probably have not been trained to deal with CSS questions since the product is not sold in USA yet.

As others have noted already, it is interesting that the Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapter box labeling is all or almost all in English. Seems like it should be in Korean for an exclusively Korean product, right? That suggests to me (and others) that Tesla clearly intended (and probably still intends) to distribute the adapter, as is and as packaged, in North America.

yeah, see below for a little more. I came clean with them...

Sorry about your continued problem. It probably goes without saying that the likelihood (at least to me) is that it is not your car or the adapter but the station that is problematic. Just look at all the other reports of successful charging using this new product throughout North America.

If it was me, I would be attempting to prove this hypothesis by one-by-one eliminating the variables (e.g., "test" other car brands, other Tesla cars, and other adapter brands) at that site. As is so often the case, the people in power are always going to blame (in this instance) you, your, car, and/or your new adapter (to save themselves time, money, and effort). Prove them wrong.

Sorry about your continued problem. It probably goes without saying that the likelihood (at least to me) is that it is not your car or the adapter but the station that is problematic. Just look at all the other reports of successful charging using this new product throughout North America.

If it was me, I would be attempting to prove this hypothesis by one-by-one eliminating the variables (e.g., "test" other car brands, other Tesla cars, and other adapter brands) at that site. As is so often the case, the people in power are always going to blame (in this instance) you, your, car, and/or your new adapter (to save themselves time, money, and effort). Prove them wrong.
Oh, yeah, I agree, but this is a little different situation. This station is the first, the first, the very first DCFC in Alaska. It beat the Supercharger in Soldotna by a few months. We are testing and getting to know these beasts up here, so I cut a lot of slack to the good folks who are working hard to get us something more than level 2!

I have a few FreeWire stations local to me. Another guy has used them with his CCS adapter on a Plaid Model S with success.

I will say those stations are pretty unreliable. The station nearest to me has been repaired multiple times and in fact had to be completely replaced at one point.

It’s totally possible the station is having problems and not your car.
Do you know if the guy with the Plaid uses/used a CCS adapter from Tesla Shop Korea?

So, for anyone interested in a fairly deep-dive on the state of "non-Tesla charging", this video explains a lot of stuff, from a non-Tesla perspective, and laying out some of Tesla's problems without quite making you feel angry with the guy ;) This video just dropped last night, so it's full of hot, relevant info.

Briefly touches on the ability of Teslas to use CCS, the upcoming plan to add CCS to Supercharger sites, but most importantly: what DC charging (in general) is.

Full investment disclosure: find my name in the Patreon credits 😎
I'll join the side that didn't like his snide remarks about the Tesla connector. From my experience, the only people worried about my future of having a Tesla connector are non-Tesla owners. He never mentioned the fact that it might take up to 5 minutes to make connection to CCS but the Tesla never takes more than 5 seconds. Only a few CCS cars now have plugnplay most require a CC swipe that has a history of trouble and a cell phone with internet connection or be a member of the company making the chargers.. Tesla doesn't. You bought your Tesla, you're already in the Tesla network. No cell phone needed. But in theory, this will probably get fixed if the CCS network wants to survive. PlugnPlay for CCS will eventually get resolved. I believe that. Whether it survives or not depends most likely on government assistance and $upport. That means Tesla owners will need to pay taxes to support the non-Tesla car owners.
He never mentioned that Tesla has had the option of connecting to more than just Tesla Superchargers for several years. And yes, CCS now too. He believes that the CCS network will over take the Tesla network in the US. I believe that can only happen with government regulation that may outlaw the one "perfect" EV charging system ever invented. Tesla has the resources to keep up with their Supercharger network and add the much smaller number of CCS cars to it without help from government regulations. He also doesn't mention that Tesla cost to charge is lower than CCS by a significant amount of money.
The comment that Tesla is bad because they own their network is just dumb! He gives the example of something silly like would you be happy if you could only charge a Ford with "Ford electrons."

I believe everything else he said was factual. Well the 1 hr of charging in theory for his CCS trip didn't calculate the variable charging taper curves and battery preconditioning or the Ionic5's usable range. Watch Kyle Conor;'s dad ( Out of Spec YT channel) do a road trip from CT to south FL in his Ionic5 for how it really works.

Only a few CCS cars now have plugnplay most require a CC swipe that has a history of trouble and a cell phone with internet connection or be a member of the company making the chargers..
One of the things that I thought was interesting, was that when Kyle did the plug and pay, he realized that when you do that, it bills you 41 cents/kWh, not the cheaper 31 cents / kWh, even tho he had a paid account.

I tried preconditioning, but no change. I got a 44 second session and 0.37 kWh of charge before receiving a charging discontinued error. I think that FalconFour's guess (Thursday at 9:26 pm) that there is a communications breakdown between the car and FreeWire station is probably the most likely explanation.
The two common problems I have heard from CCS users with any of the CCS cabinerts are the plug weight is so heavy and stiff that it pulls down and doesn't make good connection to the car's communications connections. I saw somebody used a telescoping stick to support it when plugged in.
The other problem is users will see the number next to the cable on EA cabinet and select that in the app. The correct number is the last digits on the number at the top of the cabinet.

My limited experience so far is that it took me about 5 minutes to begin charging doing everything right and the connection to the car was solid.

Preconditioning would only allow a higher peak charging at the beginning and higher charge rate for the first few minutes and shouldn't affect the activation of the DC charging.

On your car's side of the problem, I hope you did verify your Tesla has CCS adapter enabled. If you said that I missed it.

Reactions: MikeGracz
doesn't make good connection to the car's communications connections.
Reasonable guess; unlikely in practice. The cable is way too dang big and chunky (my biggest complaint of CCS), but the communication pins (control pilot & ground) aren't likely going anywhere. It's a long pin in a socket - the more you bend it, the more it rams against the socket. The more it bends, the better connection it makes 😂 (for low-current signaling, at least - for anything high current, a solid, straight connection is much better!)

More likely, though, the handle latch poses a problem. Having the latch be the handle's responsibility was a big mistake (vs. Tesla's approach, and Type-2 and CCS2 overseas: the vehicle does the latching/locking). Many handles seem to have their "you're pushing the button" detection switch sprung way too tightly - so it's this pressure on the handle, and unawareness by the user that it actually matters, that causes the switch in the button to "click" when you're not pressing it, and the car/station think you're trying to unplug it.

Tesla has a nice feature for detecting this - pops up a notification on your phone saying "plug not fully inserted". If you see this pop up, that's exactly/only what it means: it thinks you're holding the button down because the latch switch is "stuck".

Aside from that, that's really the only plug<->adapter<->car thing that could cause it to stop. More likely, though, the station or the car doesn't like something. There are tons of bugs that a station developer has to work through in its development. This is probably just one of those :)

I'll join the side that didn't like his snide remarks about the Tesla connector. From my experience, the only people worried about my future of having a Tesla connector are non-Tesla owners. He never mentioned the fact that it might take up to 5 minutes to make connection to CCS but the Tesla never takes more than 5 seconds. Only a few CCS cars now have plugnplay most require a CC swipe that has a history of trouble and a cell phone with internet connection or be a member of the company making the chargers.. Tesla doesn't. You bought your Tesla, you're already in the Tesla network. No cell phone needed. But in theory, this will probably get fixed if the CCS network wants to survive. PlugnPlay for CCS will eventually get resolved. I believe that. Whether it survives or not depends most likely on government assistance and $upport. That means Tesla owners will need to pay taxes to support the non-Tesla car owners.
He never mentioned that Tesla has had the option of connecting to more than just Tesla Superchargers for several years. And yes, CCS now too. He believes that the CCS network will over take the Tesla network in the US. I believe that can only happen with government regulation that may outlaw the one "perfect" EV charging system ever invented. Tesla has the resources to keep up with their Supercharger network and add the much smaller number of CCS cars to it without help from government regulations. He also doesn't mention that Tesla cost to charge is lower than CCS by a significant amount of money.
The comment that Tesla is bad because they own their network is just dumb! He gives the example of something silly like would you be happy if you could only charge a Ford with "Ford electrons."

I believe everything else he said was factual. Well the 1 hr of charging in theory for his CCS trip didn't calculate the variable charging taper curves and battery preconditioning or the Ionic5's usable range. Watch Kyle Conor;'s dad ( Out of Spec YT channel) do a road trip from CT to south FL in his Ionic5 for how it really works.
Yeah I'm no Tesla fanboy (and personally think Elon Musk is a terrible person), but he did kind of cherry pick here. He kept emphasizing how every manufacturer *except* Tesla signed onto CCS. But reality is something like 80% of EVs sold in the US are Tesla, and the supercharging network is by far the biggest charging network. It would literally be easier for the rest of the industry to convert to the TPC than Tesla to CCS. That is a big part of why it annoys me so much that Tesla didn't really offer its connector to other manufacturers despite their claims... and I probably would have gone into that a bit in the video.

He kept emphasizing how every manufacturer *except* Tesla signed onto CCS.

A bunch of johnny-come-latelys get together, devise a crappy solution when their demand to join the leader on their terms is rejected and then position themselves as the 'standard' by buying enough politicians.

Color me unimpressed. My hope, that I think has a reasonable chance of coming true, is that when the EA network is released from the consent decree VW will dump its failing network and Tesla will pick it up on pennies on the dollar. Then we can progress with the real standard.

A bunch of johnny-come-latelys get together, devise a crappy solution when their demand to join the leader on their terms is rejected and then position themselves as the 'standard' by buying enough politicians.
Not everything is an anti-Tesla conspiracy.

CCS seems a pretty good idea at the time because it allows the use existing of Type 1 or Type 2 plug for AC without the need for an adapter.

Color me unimpressed. My hope, that I think has a reasonable chance of coming true, is that when the EA network is released from the consent decree VW will dump its failing network and Tesla will pick it up on pennies on the dollar. Then we can progress with the real standard.
Electrify America isn't "failing".

It is true that there is a supply chain issue causing parts shortage that is keeping Electrify America from being down chargers back online in reasonable time, but that is hardly an Electrify Amerce exclusive issue.

...and of cause, consider the Tesla Proprietary Connector to be "standard" is laughable at best

Last edited:
Interesting. EVgo got its start as a settlement between NRG and California Public Utilities Commision. Eventually, NRG spun off EVgo and BMW and Nissan contributed to funding network expansion. Now I think GM has committed to upgrading the network for 800V charging. It'll be interesting to see if Tesla buys EA if/when VW sells, or the other manufacturers step in so that their cars will have a place to charge.