Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those that ordered directly from Harumio, how long did it take to get a shipped email?
5 days. I ordered on a Thur local time. Got a shipped email 5 days later. It arrived 2 days later, which was surprising, becuase the tracking said it wouldn't arrive until 4 days after I actually recieved it, which would've been on the following Monday... But when I got it, it said it arrived at LAX, around midnight. Cleared customs and left around 5am, then arrived on my doorstep by 10am, about 1000+ miles away. Seriously impressed....

I'll put out the call here: please rate stations on Plugshare as you're testing them. I track station rankings for EA, EVGo (>70 kW), Electrify Canada, and for other networks via Plugshare averages, and having more data available as Teslas start to be able to use the CCS networks will help align those ratings with experience and get attention to Tesla driver's experiences on the networks from the network managers.

Are you saying we should use the Check In feature of Plugshare? Otherwise what do you mean by 'rate'? And how do you 'track'?
Yeah, check-in = how to submit ratings ;)

I try and do it fairly regularly, especially when I visit new stations, or when I'm feeling adventurous to try a station with a low score. Checking-in with your Tesla selected on CCS, sure to make an unusual double-take for those checking the ratings!

Reactions: israndy
Are you saying we should use the Check In feature of Plugshare? Otherwise what do you mean by 'rate'? And how do you 'track'?
About once a week, I go to Plugshare, set up filters, and count how many stations meet a bunch of criteria based on their current ratings. So for instance, yesterday's EVGo data (>70 kW filter, then filtered by how many stations show at each Plugscore filter level):
0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
Totals
125​
108​
108​
105​
102​
99​
93​
79​
62​
44​
31​
Increment
17​
0​
3​
3​
3​
6​
14​
17​
18​
13​
31​

Same data for Electrify America (no power filter set since all EA stations are >70 kW capable nominally)
0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
Totals
764​
747​
746​
744​
743​
739​
721​
701​
651​
536​
457​
Increment
17​
1​
2​
1​
4​
18​
20​
50​
115​
79​
457​

Same for Electrify Canada (again, no filter on power):
0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
Totals
30​
30​
30​
30​
30​
30​
30​
28​
25​
21​
17​
Increment
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
2​
3​
4​
4​
17​

Same for "all other CCS" with 70 kW filter set (i.e. all networks minus EVGo, EA, and Electrify Canada):
0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
Totals
581​
452​
442​
438​
429​
420​
407​
384​
352​
296​
234​
Increment
129​
10​
4​
9​
9​
13​
23​
32​
56​
62​
234​

By collecting that data every week or two and plotting over time, I can get a first look at how reliability changes and how the pace of new installs is going:

1652719306725.png
1652719317144.png

1652719387255.png
1652719398136.png

As you can see, since replacing all the eFadecs in the field in late 2020, EA's reliability has been pretty solid. EVGo's been stepping up the pace of new >70 kW sites, but they've still get gremlins to sort out on reliability. The more checkins people do, the better the data and the faster new station sites get their power and Plugscore loaded by Plugshare's back end--which means data for me to track, but also for everyone using Plugshare to plan trips themselves, and a way for the networks themselves to see they're getting new Tesla/CCS customers.

I'll put out the call here: please rate stations on Plugshare as you're testing them. I track station rankings for EA, EVGo (>70 kW), Electrify Canada, and for other networks via Plugshare averages, and having more data available as Teslas start to be able to use the CCS networks will help align those ratings with experience and get attention to Tesla driver's experiences on the networks from the network managers.
I really wish more people did that. I've been noticing some of the charge networks add notes that chargers don't work, but then forget to remove the note after fixing it.

I can't say too much, though. I usually forget to checkin too.

Those that ordered directly from Harumio, how long did it take to get a shipped email?
The shipped email from Tesla Korea shop came the same day I paid my invoice a Tuesday here, Wedneday. there. The shipped email from Harumio came Sunday for me, Monday for them. DHL called from my nearby city on Tuesday (one week out) for a USPS address; it was in my PO Box on Thursday. Nine days including a weekend.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The two common problems I have heard from CCS users with any of the CCS cabinerts are the plug weight is so heavy and stiff that it pulls down and doesn't make good connection to the car's communications connections. I saw somebody used a telescoping stick to support it when plugged in.

[...]

[...] The cable is way too dang big and chunky (my biggest complaint of CCS), but the communication pins (control pilot & ground) aren't likely going anywhere. It's a long pin in a socket - the more you bend it, the more it rams against the socket. The more it bends, the better connection it makes 😂 (for low-current signaling, at least - for anything high current, a solid, straight connection is much better!)

More likely, though, the handle latch poses a problem. Having the latch be the handle's responsibility was a big mistake (vs. Tesla's approach, and Type-2 and CCS2 overseas: the vehicle does the latching/locking). Many handles seem to have their "you're pushing the button" detection switch sprung way too tightly - so it's this pressure on the handle, and unawareness by the user that it actually matters, that causes the switch in the button to "click" when you're not pressing it, and the car/station think you're trying to unplug it.

[...]
Which is why I suspect that CCS is not actually going to be the general (non-Tesla) standard for all that long. As electric vehicles become more common, people are simply going to demand something better. And something better is definitely possible and will be offered, even if it won't mean adopting Tesla's approach.

I suspect that CCS is not actually going to be the general (non-Tesla) standard for all that long
CCS, the standard, is fine (enough*). The cable (not part of the standard, but simply what station manufacturers choose to implement) is the bulk of the problem - overly thick vs. what's needed. We'll likely end up seeing some pretty clever innovations in CCS cables, once Tesla starts putting CCS1 cables on Supercharger pedestals (dual-headed/two cables on each).

CCS is definitely here to stay (it won the VHS vs. Beta war against CHAdeMO pretty handily), and the longer it lasts, the better. We really don't need more plug confusion right now.

* - notwithstanding my opinions of the needless complexity of how many possible parameters there are, the fragile RF/Ethernet physical-layer comms, etc etc etc... it's maddeningly complex and a little fragile, but it's been smoothed out pretty well by vehicles & stations working a lot at smoothing the rough edges.

it's probably even faster now....especially if they have the adapters in their inventory as opposed to needing to wait for Tesla to ship it to Korea.

Ordered from Harumio May 10th, Just got my shipped notification today May 16th. DHL says 7 days for delivery
I also ordered on May 10 and got my ship notification today, the 16th. They definitely did not have them in inventory and had to wait a week for them to come in. I wrote to them and they explained that that was the case. They don't have a crate of them. It sounds like they continue to order them one by one. Just don't need the Tesla account/password anymore.

CCS is definitely here to stay (it won the VHS vs. Beta war against CHAdeMO pretty handily), and the longer it lasts, the better. We really don't need more plug confusion right now.
I doubt that. We already need DVDs and Blurays (faster charging). The need is already here for commercial vehicles and we're probably going to need it for passenger cars within 10 years. CCS will not be around for nearly as long as VHS was.

But I will bet that the dominant nextgen connector will be more the size of the Tesla one than the CCS.
I doubt it. CCS and today’s Tesla plug can likely be stretched up to ~800 amps giving ~650 kW at 800V.

After that, the next generation plug will have to carry higher currents. A likely candidate is the Megacharger plug for large trucks and buses (today) which Tesla primarily designed for the Tesla Semi together with the CCS-promoting CharIN consortium. That allows for 3,000A at up to 1,500V for Semi trucks and less for locations dedicated for charging personal vehicles.