Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data - U.S. Plug-in Electric Vehicle Sales by Model only goes up to 2019, but has Tesla at ~58% between the S/X/3/Y. 2020 wasn't that dominated by Tesla.
Here's the data for top 10 new registrations of EVs in the US during Q1 2022, according to Experian. All together 113,882 were new Tesla registrations. That represented 79.7% of the 142,881 total listed. However, note that there's no "Other" category, so the "total" listed is missing all those that didn't make it into the Top 10 (yes, I checked the counts and the total doesn't include those outside the top 10). As a result, Teslas probably represent something closer to 70-75% of all EVs registered in the first quarter. Pretty dominant.

1652765375388.png

CCS1 is only given the pass because the Federal Government is forcing it on the EV market. Left alone, Tesla would be the standard as Tesla was planning to open up it to their competition anyway. It's part of their mission. But, since Tesla refuses to go along with the current administration's agenda to support and prop up Union EV manufacturers Tesla will be road blocked at every chance. There will be other road blocks coming. Such as the standard for FSD, could ban the Tesla Vision system in favor of a regulation that requires LIDAR and RADAR.

I question the agenda of any TMC member who promotes a standard that is heavier and bulkier, more difficult to handle, takes longer and more complicated to connect and pay for and can only expand with the help of the Federal Government. Maybe they don't even own a Tesla but are a CCS1 car owner.

I owned a non-Tesla and now two Teslas. The CCS system is just stupid. Chademo even worse! Why would anyone want to promote that over something so much better? The answer to me is obvious. Promote Union made cars that only use CCS1. Made by the Brotherhood is the most important feature to them even if using it is more difficult.

CCS1 is only given the pass because the Federal Government is forcing it on the EV market. Left alone, Tesla would be the standard as Tesla was planning to open up it to their competition anyway. It's part of their mission. But, since Tesla refuses to go along with the current administration's agenda to support and prop up Union EV manufacturers Tesla will be road blocked at every chance. There will be other road blocks coming. Such as the standard for FSD, could ban the Tesla Vision system in favor of a regulation that requires LIDAR and RADAR.

I question the agenda of any TMC member who promotes a standard that is heavier and bulkier, more difficult to handle, takes longer and more complicated to connect and pay for and can only expand with the help of the Federal Government. Maybe they don't even own a Tesla but are a CCS1 car owner.

I owned a non-Tesla and now two Teslas. The CCS system is just stupid. Chademo even worse! Why would anyone want to promote that over something so much better? The answer to me is obvious. Promote Union made cars that only use CCS1. Made by the Brotherhood is the most important feature to them even if using it is more difficult.
This is all good except Tesla does not share their standard. If there wasn’t CCS or Chademo there would be no DC charging standard for the other automakers.

They have to use something and TPC ain’t it. I know from talking to charging providers that they would love to offer a TPC cable at their chargers but Tesla simply will not share the tech.

Unless you intend for Tesla to corner the entire EV market (including charging) forever, none of what you mentioned here makes sense.

I mean, I'll readily admit to not owning a Tesla, and driving a CCS car. I joined TMC back in the days when I figured my next car would be a Tesla, seven years ago or so. The company's ongoing unwillingness to open up the TPC standard (alongside some design decisions in the Model 3, and prioritizing gimmicks like FSD that should only take a "few more months" for years on end over just making cars that did car things the way I wanted them to be done) are a fairly significant factor in that not being the case. Thus, I'm really concerned these days with the company doing more of it's mission of "advancing electrification for all" like open charging standards whether TPC or CCS over stuff aimed at "selling the maximum number of Telsas, specifically" like continual rate increases on buggy FSD software and stuff like releasing all their patents (but not any standards!) in a way calculated to be more PR than practical.

If not releasing TPC as an open standard now, available off their site as a spec document for some nominal fee to whoever wants it, is about feuding with Biden and otherwise they'd surely do it "soon" out of the goodness of their heart if it wasn't for all this dang public money being thrown at public charging infrastructure, what was the excuse in 2018 or 2019, when Biden wasn't president and that money wasn't being thrown around? What about back in 2014 or so when Obama was President, and Tesla was at least in discussions about things with BMW and Nissan? If they'd made any serious effort to push the standard out, instead of playing hard to get, I'd be more willing to buy "it's a conspiracy other brands aren't using TPC and Supercharger" instead of "Elon has made it very hard if not impossible and seems to not be setting licensing terms any other company, even non-car companies like ABB or Signet can accommodate in practice". If there was a place to punch in a credit card and download the spec for free, or for a nominal couple thousand bucks, at something like tesla.com/charging_specs or something in 2014, it'd almost certainly have had much wider adoption by other brands and it'd likely be required as a port for public charging alongside CCS or Chademo, but Tesla's worked to make that not the case.

Last edited:
Here's the data for top 10 new registrations of EVs in the US during Q1 2022, according to Experian. All together 113,882 were new Tesla registrations. That represented 79.7% of the 142,881 total listed. However, note that there's no "Other" category, so the "total" listed is missing all those that didn't make it into the Top 10 (yes, I checked the counts and the total doesn't include those outside the top 10). As a result, Teslas probably represent something closer to 70-75% of all EVs registered in the first quarter. Pretty dominant.

View attachment 805329
To me the most interesting part of this chart is that the 10 year old Model S outsold a brand new offering by Ford , the Mach E.

2nd thing to note here is that VW is big in the EU, but here in the states it barley makes the top 10.

Really looking forward to seeing if these trends hold up for the entire year or not.

2nd thing to note here is that VW is big in the EU, but here in the states it barley makes the top 10.
That's been true of VW generally for decades; they're huge in Europe, and in many other parts of the world, but they've perpetually been a second-tier automaker, in terms of volume, in the United States. I suppose the shift to EVs creates an opportunity for VW to change that, particularly since the Japanese automakers (excepting Nissan) have been dragging their feet on EV adoption, but it's still pretty early in that process, so I wouldn't read too much into the numbers quoted by @mociaf9 in terms of VW's future standing in the US.

Reactions: KJD and Genie
VW‘s lower cost brands like Skoda could do very well in the US EV market. Their ICE versions haven’t been available here but now with many new brands appearing seems like the perfect time to introduce them. It could turn out that affordable mass market EVs are all either Chinese brands or VW Group.

Edit- that’s getting off the adaptor topic, apologies

Last edited:
To me the most interesting part of this chart is that the 10 year old Model S outsold a brand new offering by Ford , the Mach E.

Really looking forward to seeing if these trends hold up for the entire year or not.
Ford Mustang Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4 are sold out for the year.

Left alone, Tesla would be the standard as Tesla was planning to open up it to their competition anyway
Uh, no. I've been watching this nonsense play out since the very beginning. Elon keeps talking a bigger game than the company's lawyers will allow. See also: "free patents does not mean free IP or a free-for-all". Tesla has been unwilling to work with virtually anyone -- have you ever noticed that you really can't find any non-Tesla TPC-plug EVSEs on the market, at least that aren't complete shade trees? Yeah, there's a reason for it.

"Tesla has been planning to open it up" for over a decade now. 🥱💤😴

Ford is still ramping up production, and that's all the numbers represent. But having said that, Tesla is production bound right now, too, so their numbers are lower than demand. My point though it's that the table does not reflect demand.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and outdoors
Ford is still ramping up production, and that's all the numbers represent. But having said that, Tesla is production bound right now, too, so their numbers are lower than demand. My point though it's that the table does not reflect demand.
Oh I agree 100 %. Tesla is also ramping production at the Texas factory. I am sure full production is only 2 weeks away. o_O

Seriously though as long as gasoline prices set a new record every day, the demand for EV's is going to be strong.

And just to keep this on topic. Tesla really should release the CCS1 adapter to North America. I got one from SK and it works great.

Last edited:
Which is why I suspect that CCS is not actually going to be the general (non-Tesla) standard for all that long. As electric vehicles become more common, people are simply going to demand something better. And something better is definitely possible and will be offered, even if it won't mean adopting Tesla's approach.
Hopefully something with 3 phase support.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and DrGriz
Hopefully something with 3 phase support.
I don't think North America will ever have public EVSE with 3-phase support. It will only be available for fleet vehicles that use J3068 charging ports. However, even that approach is difficult because it probably precludes using public CCS occasionally for those fleet vehicles. That would basically require a CCS Type-2 to CCS Type-1 adapter. Well, maybe it's not so bad. Such an adapter does exist....

Came across this 50-photo look at South Korea (where all our CCS1 adapters are coming from). An interesting combination of the new and innovative versus the traditional! (The same thing could be done for the US, Europe, or wherever. Every area has its unique and interesting aspects.)
The KTX train was funny for me, cuz I had the fam on it including a 2 year old... The folks next to me kept complaining that my kid's toy was too loud (it was on the lowest volume setting) becuase everyone wanted to sleep (it wasn't even late/early, it was like 4pm or something like that), and insisted I turned it off... So I turned it off... and my kid started crying at the top of his lungs. Immediately after, they told me to turn the toy back on, haha.

Looks like you can now order from Harumio direct off their website for $309 (I ordered, we'll see how it works!):
Update:
Ordered on the 10th
Shipped on the 16th via DHL
Arrived on the 18th (2 days from Korea!)

I won't get a chance to try the adapter for at least a few days but it was all sealed from Tesla when it arrived and looks good.

Update:
Ordered on the 10th
Shipped on the 16th via DHL
Arrived on the 18th (2 days from Korea!)

I won't get a chance to try the adapter for at least a few days but it was all sealed from Tesla when it arrived and looks good.
I would say to go ahead and give it a try; I did the day I got it. Depending on your travel patterns, you may want to look at EA’s Pass+ plan. You may save a fair amount on your next long road trip.