Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's how it works in a CCS car, but with the adapter, the power pins are in different locations because that is the logical way to make a "dumb" adapter (without a creating a huge shock hazard with both being connected). Thus the CCS adapter can't replace the J1772 one, you still need both.

Yes. In Europe and Oceania where the Models 3 and Y, and now Models S and X, have only CCS2 ports, the top part can apparently accept an AC Type 2 (somewhat analogous to our J1772) plug for charging at home and at public AC stations. Or the entire port can of course accept a DC CCS2 plug and charge at Tesla and third-party DC fast chargers. One advantage: no adapters are required (or in the case of CHAdeMO, allowed).

Europe 2021+ Model X CCS2 Port - 2.jpg - - - ? - - - > CCS1 Charge Port - Chevy - 2.jpg
Will this (in Europe), lead to this (in NA)?​

I've speculated elsewhere that it seems reasonable to assume that there are external and internal pressures on Tesla to do something like that in North America--i.e., to at some point install CCS1 ports on all models and do away with the TPC (proprietary) connector system. I see that some knowledgeable TMC members think this would be a good idea; other equally experienced drivers hate that possibility.

I like the "elegant" TPC system, and have read that it wasn't Tesla's fault; the young company was forced by the big "bully boys" to develop its own innovative charging standard. But with plans to open Superchargers up to CCS1-outfitted car brands, and now with the CCS1 adapter allowing Tesla drivers to co-mingle with others at North American CCS stations, the handwriting appears to be on the wall (to me) as far as a future of DC charging standards on the NA Continent.

...Aproca Hard Travel Storage Case for Mini Projector, ELEPHAS Portable Projector
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09289DDHK/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_5Z2M4898NPXCH0ETBQSZ

I am liking that one, too. I like the moveable divider that separates the J1772 and CCS1 adapters. Only (minor) complaint: the adapters rattle around inside if the case is shaken. But how often are you going to do that?

However, Harumio just started offering a new case (reported here)--better than their old one in that it has recessed areas for both adapters (J1772 and CCS1). Looks like it is $25 in combination with the CCS1 adapter. Or, if purchased separately, $45. I don't plan to buy one, but maybe someone could review it and report here?

Last edited:
Reactions: theothertom
I am liking that one, too. I like the moveable divider that seperates the J1772 and CCS1 adapters. Only (minor) complaint: the adapters rattle around inside if the case is shaken. But how often are you going to do that?
I’ll bet that can be fixed with a modest layer of packing foam or bubble wrap sized to fit the bottom so it closes with a tighter fit. In any case (so to speak), I’m not worried about it. I’ll find out early next week when my CCS adapter arrives.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Yes. In Europe and Oceania where the Models 3 and Y, and now Models S and X, have only CCS2 ports, the top part can apparently accept an AC Type 2 (somewhat analogous to our J1772) plug for charging at home and at public AC stations. Or the entire port can of course accept a DC CCS2 plug and charge at Tesla and third-party DC fast chargers. One advantage: no adapters are required (or in the case of CHAdeMO, allowed).

View attachment 806820 - - - ? - - - > View attachment 806825

I've speculated elsewhere that it seems reasonable to assume that there are external and internal pressures on Tesla to do something like that in North America--i.e., to at some point install CCS1 ports on all models and do away with the TPC (proprietary) connector system. I see that some knowledgeable TMC members think this would be a good idea; other equally experienced drivers hate that possibility.

I like the "elegant" TPC system, and have read that it wasn't Tesla's fault; the young company was forced by the big "bully boys" to develop its own innovative charging standard. But with plans to open Superchargers up to CCS1-outfitted car brands, and now with the CCS1 adapter allowing Tesla drivers to co-mingle with others at North American CCS stations, the handwriting appears to be on the wall (to me) as far as a future of DC charging standards on the NA Continent.
I think the best time to have done this is with the Model 3 launch. I was one of those that suggested this when it was known that Tesla was planning to go to CCS2 for the European Model 3:
Nice to hear Europe will finally have a CCS option. Hopefully we on the US side will have one too.
I thought they at least would include PLC in the Model 3 during launch to allow for a "dumb" adapter, which although they didn't do at first (the cars that currently need retrofit), they eventually did:
You beat me to posting this. I would expect Model 3 to have the hardware built-in to the car to support PLC signaling necessary for a "dumb" CCS adapter (if Tesla didn't have it already in Model S/X, just not enabled). On the other hand, this is not possible for CHadeMO, because the Tesla connector is not pin compatible with CHadeMO (Tesla connector has less pins than the minimum needed to do the CHAdeMO handshake, so the adapter must always be a "smart" one that emulates the missing pins).
Very early on in the Model S days, I was actually hopeful for DC level 1 (using AC pins for DC) to be implemented, so that the included dumb J1772 adapter can be used for DC charging, but it seems this was never really adopted (not even in Europe; I know of no vehicles that use the AC pins for DC charging).
SAE J1772 DC (Combo) Connector Adapter for Model S

I guess it's not too late to switch to CCS now. Even the Model S/X port areas have been enlarged to fit a CCS2 port, so now it's fairly trivial for Tesla to drop in a CCS1 port throughout the line up, especially with the PLC communication built in (although they will probably wait until the current supply issues are solved).

TPC is still a nicer port design and the CCS adapter isn't that big a deal, but if "everyone" is using CCS, then eventually it may make sense to switch, especially if Tesla is adding CCS1 cables to superchargers to get federal funding.

• Helpful
If I were King (and I submit I oughta' be...) I'd manufacture NA Teslas with a Tesla plug opening on one side of the vehicle and a CCS opening on the other. That would have been a killer option!!

Rich

The Taycan actually has charge ports on both sides - for AC charging. But only one side supports DCFC.

Hmmm.... But a $300 dollar adapter works OK?

Just glue one of the adapters on the other side of the car into a Tesla receptacle. Problem solved!!
:oops:
You are forgetting you have run cables to that connector, and you need contactors to ensure both sides are not energized at the same time. It's not as simple as slapping on a connector to the other side (otherwise why would the automakers with ports on both sides not go all the way and make both DC capable?)

I am liking that one, too. I like the moveable divider that separates the J1772 and CCS1 adapters. Only (minor) complaint: the adapters rattle around inside if the case is shaken. But how often are you going to do that?

However, Harumio just started offering a new case (reported here)--better than their old one in that it has recessed areas for both adapters (J1772 and CCS1). Looks like it is $25 in combination with the CCS1 adapter. Or, if purchased separately, $45. I don't plan to buy one, but maybe someone could review it and report here?
That new case is big basially 9"x 7" x 3.75"

• Informative
But with plans to open Superchargers up to CCS1-outfitted car brands, and now with the CCS1 adapter allowing Tesla drivers to co-mingle with others at North American CCS stations, the handwriting appears to be on the wall (to me) as far as a future of DC charging standards on the NA Continent.
See, there’s different ways Tesla can go about this, depending on the exact wording of the law.

If opening up a Supercharger for other automakers meant simply making a Supercharger site accessible to other cars, well, partnering up with EA or EVGo and have them install their DCFC chargers in the same lot but away from the SC chargers, that would be the cheapest and easiest (for Tesla) to do. Heck, I think Tesla is doing that right now at some sites! I am totally for this option as I really don’t want to wait behind a line of Mach-E’s, id.4’s and Ioniq5’s to charge at an SC charger.

Or, Tesla can make and sell CCS1 to TPC adapters to sell to non-Tesla car owners, at a marked up price and reduce the charge rate on them, making them deliberately undesirable to own & use. That would work too, but not as desirable as above.

What would not work well (or cost a ton) is retrofitting CCS1 plugs into SC charge cabinets. If I was Tesla I would avoid this option as much as I can, even if it meant foregoing federal bonuses especially if the cost isn’t worth the extra income (funding plus more customers) That’s up to the high-paid bean counters to figure out, and I’m sure they already have by now.

Workplaces are all Chademo that I've seen, except for one, which was not CCS1.

City of Burbank in the last year or so, has installed 30 or so Chademo Chargepoints around the downtown area. It's not our fault the cities aren't up to speed.
You sure about either of these? Most workplaces (including mine) I've seen have J1772 for L2 AC charging. A few places have that + some dual standard (CCS1 + CHADeMO) DC FCs. We also have some Tesla wall connectors.

Able/wiling to point us to some "all CHAdeMO" workplaces?

As for your latter point, can you post some example addresses or Plugshare URLs? A quick check on Plugshare didn't turn up a large # of CHAdeMO in city of Burbank, CA. In fact, there's very little. I do see plenty of J1772 there though.

Last edited:
That includes plugin hybrids, which aren't the same market at all as far as charger availability is concerned. A lot of them can't even dcfc, or can only do it at L2 like speeds.
I can only think of 2 US-market PHEV consumer automobiles that can be DC FCed:
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV: CHAdeMO
BMW i3 REx: CCS1 standard eventually, may have been optional earlier on

Can you think of any others?

JDM Prius Prime had CHADeMO but Toyota decided not to include it on US cars.

You sure about either of these? Most workplaces (including mine) I've seen have J1772 for L2 AC charging. A few places have that + some dual standard (CCS1 + CHADeMO) DC FCs. We also have some Tesla wall connectors.

Able/wiling to point us to some "all CHAdeMO" workplaces?

As for your latter point, can you post some example addresses or Plugshare URLs? A quick check on Plugshare didn't turn up a large # of CHAdeMO in city of Burbank, CA. In fact, there's very little. I do see plenty of J1772 there though.
I don't know the costs involved but it seems to me that fast charging doesn't make much sense in the workplace arena. Aren't you working for 8 hours or so? Seems to me the level 2 works fine. Heck that will take my MY from pretty empty to pretty full. Unless the cost is almost the same it makes more sense to put in more L2 than fast charges at work.

View attachment 806820 - - - ? - - - > View attachment 806825

I wished that the entire world for the most part could have settled on type 2. Type 2 can do single phase, its just that the other pins would go unused. But the timing of everything didn't pan out, and for the most part there isn't any benefit for a worldwide connector.

However, there are some niches for which this could become annoying. For the rare instances where cars are taken overseas (and vice versa), like for military or govt business, one cannot fast charge officially (unofficial adapters are available) for the most part. Importing and exporting from other regions may run into charging issues. European delivery of German automaker cars won't be possible anymore unless they substitute in an european car, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of it. (This is mainly from the viewpoint of NA of course).

I also wonder what the US military would do in general for vehicles that do switch to EV (I would think that there would be a good chunk that would remain on petrol-based fuels for good reason); if any of them need to be able to go overseas they would need to be able to charge unless they stuck to US bases with type 1 connectors.

When EVs becomes a lot more prevalent, I wonder how cross-border traffic with China and surrounding countries would work, given that China uses its own standard.

I have a confession. I bought three CCS adapters and eBay'ed three CCS adapters. It took me two attempts to sell each item. First round of winning buyers were non-paying buyers, potential scammers, or competing sellers that were saboteurs. All three auctions took sold on second attempt. And I had to wait four days to cancel/relist auction with deadbuyer buyer. OTD (after eBay fees), 85% profit margin each.

Would not advise to get into this. Not worth the hastle. Profits paid for my girlfriend's new iPad Pro and keyboard, lol.

I have a confession. I bought three CCS adapters and eBay'ed three CCS adapters. It took me two attempts to sell each item. First round of winning buyers were non-paying buyers, potential scammers, or competing sellers that were saboteurs. All three auctions took sold on second attempt. And I had to wait four days to cancel/relist auction with deadbuyer buyer. OTD (after eBay fees), 85% profit margin each.

Would not advise to get into this. Not worth the hastle. Profits paid for my girlfriend's new iPad Pro and keyboard, lol.
You can leave negative feedback on Ebay for the deadbeat buyers right ?

Reactions: gglockner