Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a confession. I bought three CCS adapters and eBay'ed three CCS adapters. It took me two attempts to sell each item. First round of winning buyers were non-paying buyers, potential scammers, or competing sellers that were saboteurs. All three auctions took sold on second attempt. And I had to wait four days to cancel/relist auction with deadbuyer buyer. OTD (after eBay fees), 85% profit margin each.

Would not advise to get into this. Not worth the hastle. Profits paid for my girlfriend's new iPad Pro and keyboard, lol.

I sold my CHAdeMO adapter on this site for perhaps reduced profit but also less hassle. Seems that Ebay worked out OK for you, depending upon your tolerance for the dishonest bidders.

Reactions: wornout
I have a confession. I bought three CCS adapters and eBay'ed three CCS adapters. It took me two attempts to sell each item. First round of winning buyers were non-paying buyers, potential scammers, or competing sellers that were saboteurs. All three auctions took sold on second attempt. And I had to wait four days to cancel/relist auction with deadbuyer buyer. OTD (after eBay fees), 85% profit margin each.

Would not advise to get into this. Not worth the hastle. Profits paid for my girlfriend's new iPad Pro and keyboard, lol.
I did the same thing. We took a risk and it worked out. If Tesla didn't sell me a stripped ECU, I would not have stuck my neck out. I was hell bent on that. The high prices on eBay was due to the risk people did not want to take buying in another country with unusual payment processing. Some of that has changed, which explains the lower prices now. Most of the gotta-have-its, have it now too.

I actually feel a bit stuck in the "now what" mode. I used it once for testing. It might be another year until I use it again. I want the adapter so I have more options on prices. Right now, Tesla has the cheaper rates for DC fast charging where I travel. I can get by with level 2 AC charging 100% of the time. When I do a road trip, super chargers are just cheaper, for now. EA charges by the minute in Massachusetts instead of per kWh. In places they do it's 43c/kWh verse 34c/kWh on supercharger. I hope more chargers causes more competition in rates like most gas stations. Massachusetts needs to codify how electric can be billed per kWh instead of per minute so it's easy to shop and compare rates.

I did the same thing. We took a risk and it worked out. If Tesla didn't sell me a stripped ECU, I would not have stuck my neck out. I was hell bent on that. The high prices on eBay was due to the risk people did not want to take buying in another country with unusual payment processing. Some of that has changed, which explains the lower prices now. Most of the gotta-have-its, have it now too.

I actually feel a bit stuck in the "now what" mode. I used it once for testing. It might be another year until I use it again. I want the adapter so I have more options on prices. Right now, Tesla has the cheaper rates for DC fast charging where I travel. I can get by with level 2 AC charging 100% of the time. When I do a road trip, super chargers are just cheaper, for now. EA charges by the minute in Massachusetts instead of per kWh. In places they do it's 43c/kWh verse 34c/kWh on supercharger. I hope more chargers causes more competition in rates like most gas stations. Massachusetts needs to codify how electric can be billed per kWh instead of per minute so it's easy to shop and compare rates.
I ordered it more for peace of mind. While I might get a price break sometime because I have it I really want it for the flexibility to stop EA or somewhere if I'm heading towards an empty battery

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Our Chargepoints at work are 30A. Wished it was like 40A. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah. https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/ct4000 are unfortunately 30 amps max per J1772 handle. These are super popular at workplaces and public charging.

Some places might still have the old CT2000 series (https://www.chargepoint.com/products/guides) which are also 30 amps max per handle. We had a few over these but they were all replaced by CT4000 series eventually.

Until the last few years, virtually all non-Tesla and non-Tesla-powered BEVs only had OBCs that were 32 amps max or lower. Leaf still only has 6.6 kW OBC and at 208 volts, pulls ~6 kW. And, in the earlier EV/PHEV days, 3.x kW OBCs weren't uncommon, esp. on PHEVs.

Because of various road tripping around California, I might need the CCS adapter in July. That need heavily depends on if the West Hollywood SuperCharger has finished construction, lol. I'll likely buy another one by end of weekend. I expect the eBay prices to fall rapidly, probably another $50-$100. I don't think it's worth the $150 profit to deal with all the deadbeat buyers, scammers, and chargebacks.

But if you don't need it, you might as well wait.

You sure about either of these? Most workplaces (including mine) I've seen have J1772 for L2 AC charging. A few places have that + some dual standard (CCS1 + CHADeMO) DC FCs. We also have some Tesla wall connectors.

Able/wiling to point us to some "all CHAdeMO" workplaces?

As for your latter point, can you post some example addresses or Plugshare URLs? A quick check on Plugshare didn't turn up a large # of CHAdeMO in city of Burbank, CA. In fact, there's very little. I do see plenty of J1772 there though.
For examples of workplaces that have dual standard (CCS1 and CHAdeMO) DC FCs, go to ChargePoint then search for Menlo Park, CA and filter by either DC - CHAdeMO or DC - Combo or both. You'll find at bunch of Facebook/Meta HQ near the water. Example station names:
META
MPK23-01 FC

META
MPK22-06 FC

They also have a ton of J1772, if you just filter by Level 2- J1772.

Prior to COVID, from talking to someone who used to work there, they had EV valets. They would handle charging moving your car to a charger, charging it, vacating, etc. My work had EV valets long ago when our parking became too full so they would also double as EV valets. The parking fullness went away eventually when new buildings (and their parking) opened up.

What would not work well (or cost a ton) is retrofitting CCS1 plugs into SC charge cabinets. If I was Tesla I would avoid this option as much as I can, even if it meant foregoing federal bonuses especially if the cost isn’t worth the extra income (funding plus more customers) That’s up to the high-paid bean counters to figure out, and I’m sure they already have by now.
There's been reporting that Tesla is now planning to do precisely this. (I haven't saved any URLs, I'm afraid, so this is based solely on my memory.) What's not been reported, AFAIK, are details -- how many stations will have CCS1 plugs, how many stalls at these stations will have CCS1 plugs, what's the timeline, will the cost be the same for the CCS1 as for the Tesla charging, etc.

Personally, this is my preferred solution -- adapters are a nuisance to use, and although partnering with another provider might provide some advantages, it would also open a whole can of worms, at least to Tesla (what happens to subsidies if the partner goes away? What sort of extra paperwork will be involved? Will this complicating siting decisions, relationships with site partners, etc.?); and segregating the Tesla and non-Tesla vehicles, even at the same site, seems like an ugly solution with the possibility for hard feelings if one set of chargers is full-up and the other isn't.

That said, if Tesla adds CCS1 plugs to its Superchargers, I'd also hope that the flip side would happen, too -- that EVgo, EA, etc., add Tesla connectors to their sites, and not just in the half-baked way that EVgo has already begun doing (using Tesla CHAdeMO adapters). If, in five years or so, most DC fast charger sites in the US support both CCS1 and Tesla, then life will be easier for all EV drivers. (Well, except for those unlucky folks stuck with CHAdeMO cars, unless CHAdeMO hangs around longer than I expect it to.) Speculation has been that Tesla has been reluctant to open its IP on terms that other companies find palatable, but if Tesla ends up adding significant CCS1 capacity to its Superchargers, then Tesla may be forced to work with other providers to make Tesla plugs available, lest the Supercharger network become a disadvantage rather than an advantage for Tesla. At least if the majority of DC fast charging sites support all EVs, the playing field will be level. Ultimately, that benefits us all as consumers -- we'll be able to ignore charging network differences in deciding what to buy, and focus instead on vehicle performance, price, styling, comfort, etc.

Exactly, triple the number of plugs you have and then everybody gets some charge. Obviously not great if you rely on an EVSE to track billing.
It isn't as simple as just adding more sockets or increasing the amperage. My office has 3 L2 EVSE, each charge as 40A. We have more employees with EV than chargers (obviously) but we manage so with some days some people will miss out. When we enquired about possibility of adding more chargers, it turns out we already maxed out the office circuit so it will be super expensive to increase the max load from PG&E, etc.

Just something to keep in mind.

It isn't as simple as just adding more sockets or increasing the amperage. My office has 3 L2 EVSE, each charge as 40A. We have more employees with EV than chargers (obviously) but we manage so with some days some people will miss out. When we enquired about possibility of adding more chargers, it turns out we already maxed out the office circuit so it will be super expensive to increase the max load from PG&E, etc.

In context I think the alternative being discussed was more sockets at lower amps vs higher amps and fewer sockets. So basically for example you have 3 x 40A = 120A capacity, you can switch to 4 x 30A instead and get one more spot.

There are also power sharing solutions that allow you to install more chargers under the same circuit. Tesla's latest generation of wall chargers offers this (although typically I don't think most offices will go for a Tesla charger). So does clipper creek for a J1772 solution (basically allows doubling the amount of sockets, given they automatically split power in half as necessary):
Share2

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and Don.Church
There's been reporting that Tesla is now planning to do precisely this. (I haven't saved any URLs, I'm afraid, so this is based solely on my memory.) What's not been reported, AFAIK, are details -- how many stations will have CCS1 plugs, how many stalls at these stations will have CCS1 plugs, what's the timeline, will the cost be the same for the CCS1 as for the Tesla charging, etc.

Personally, this is my preferred solution -- adapters are a nuisance to use, and although partnering with another provider might provide some advantages, it would also open a whole can of worms, at least to Tesla (what happens to subsidies if the partner goes away? What sort of extra paperwork will be involved? Will this complicating siting decisions, relationships with site partners, etc.?); and segregating the Tesla and non-Tesla vehicles, even at the same site, seems like an ugly solution with the possibility for hard feelings if one set of chargers is full-up and the other isn't.

That said, if Tesla adds CCS1 plugs to its Superchargers, I'd also hope that the flip side would happen, too -- that EVgo, EA, etc., add Tesla connectors to their sites, and not just in the half-baked way that EVgo has already begun doing (using Tesla CHAdeMO adapters). If, in five years or so, most DC fast charger sites in the US support both CCS1 and Tesla, then life will be easier for all EV drivers. (Well, except for those unlucky folks stuck with CHAdeMO cars, unless CHAdeMO hangs around longer than I expect it to.) Speculation has been that Tesla has been reluctant to open its IP on terms that other companies find palatable, but if Tesla ends up adding significant CCS1 capacity to its Superchargers, then Tesla may be forced to work with other providers to make Tesla plugs available, lest the Supercharger network become a disadvantage rather than an advantage for Tesla. At least if the majority of DC fast charging sites support all EVs, the playing field will be level. Ultimately, that benefits us all as consumers -- we'll be able to ignore charging network differences in deciding what to buy, and focus instead on vehicle performance, price, styling, comfort, etc.
More likely, Tesla ditches TPC for CCS1 altogether.

The CPUC really needs to order PG&E to make it cheap to increase max load and install new transformers. This is exactly what they should be encouraging because all of those vehicles charging in the middle of the day is what sucks up all of that extra solar power so that they don't have to store it (or worse, curtail it).

In context I think the alternative being discussed with more sockets at lower amps vs higher amps and fewer sockets. So basically for example you have 3 x 40A = 120A capacity, you can switch to 4 x 30A instead and get one more spot.

There are also power sharing solutions that allow you to install more chargers under the same circuit. Tesla's latest generation of wall chargers offers this (although typically I don't think most offices will go for a Tesla charger). So does clipper creek for a J1772 solution (basically allows doubling the amount of sockets, given they automatically split power in half as necessary):
Share2
More sockets doesn’t necessarily equal better usage spread out. assuming everyone want the same amount of energy for their cars, whether it’s 40A with 3 spots or 30A with 4 spots, the outcome is the same.

Would more cars charging slower better than fewer cars charging faster? Unlikely with higher charging EV like Tesla. With PHEV, potentially yes since they can’t draw max amp from EVSE.

More sockets doesn’t necessarily equal better usage spread out. assuming everyone want the same amount of energy for their cars, whether it’s 40A with 3 spots or 30A with 4 spots, the outcome is the same.

Would more cars charging slower better than fewer cars charging faster? Unlikely with higher charging EV like Tesla. With PHEV, potentially yes since they can’t draw max amp from EVSE.
The difference is everyone gets something, instead of some people getting something and the rest getting nothing. Also if someone was done charging, the power share options automatically ramp up the power to full for the remaining car, which maximizes usage of the power, without needing people to move their cars.

Would more cars charging slower better than fewer cars charging faster?
Yes, because everyone (should be) be at work for eight hours or so! I’d even say six chargers at 20amps would be fine. Eight hours at 20 amps should be roughly 30 or so kWh. Not bad! Throw some L1’s into the mix for the PHEV’s too. Those guys finish charging in only two hours but leave their cars plugged in for the rest of the day!

Or how about this: 12 chargers at 5-20 L1. I would rather have that little charge for that many more people than fight over the few spaces available.

Last edited: