Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine from Harumio on Wednesday evening. Only have one test but it was giving me 124kW (out of a 150 stall) when I was at 40% or so SOC. I just went on the Harumio site and ordered it. It took 15 days but that was over our memorial day weekend. The (if in stock) might seem pricey but I got it and I'm happy I did.

Same. I have a 5-6000 mile road trip coming up in a few weeks, and adding more flexibility to my charging stops/hotel stops is well worth the $600 (total upgrade cost)

Point to point, the supercharger network is mostly faster (if you ask ABRP, and Plugshare), but being able to quit anywhere there's a DCFC (electrify america, francis, evgo, chargepoint etc), and then bedding down for the night is huge.

1654292621002.png

Last summer I put 11000 miles on my car in 40 days.

I got mine from Harumio on Wednesday evening. Only have one test but it was giving me 124kW (out of a 150 stall) when I was at 40% or so SOC. I just went on the Harumio site and ordered it. It took 15 days but that was over our memorial day weekend. The case (if in stock) might seem pricey but I got it and I'm happy I did.
Sounds about right.. According to my EA charging summary, when I plugged in at 38% on a 150 kW charger, I got 135 kW. When I plugged in at 33% SoC I got 143 kW. When I connected to a 350kW charger at 34% SoC, I got 159 kW.

Reactions: ambudriver03
My max rate is 250kW (just over 1000 MPH charging) but even after pre-conditioning on the long drive to Gilroy today I was unable to get more than 120kW outta the EA 350kW station there. I was at 49% but I am usually much higher than that on a Supercharger.

Note the stock photo is a Gen 2 with J1772 connector (not CCS), which Tesla had on their store for a while clearing out old stock.
Tesla Launches J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector... For Non-Tesla EVs
They made these originally for destination charger locations where they have a proportion of them be J1772 (otherwise they would had to use third party ones like Clipper Creek). Edit: I see the podcast, they made a gen 3 version for those destination charger locations, but given it's not on the store, most likely it's like the previous program where it's for destination chargers.

Last edited:
Note the stock photo is a Gen 2 with J1772 connector (not CCS), which Tesla had on their store for a while clearing out old stock.
Tesla Launches J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector... For Non-Tesla EVs
They made these originally for destination charger locations where they have a proportion of them be J1772.
Correct. The second pic is a GEN2 which as you mentioned, was available sometime ago. But the First pic is a GEN3 from their video.. Check the video at 5:56 mark.

Correct. The second pic is a GEN2 which as you mentioned, was available sometime ago. But the First pic is a GEN3 from their video.. Check the video at 5:56 mark.
I didn't watch that part until later, what was talked about sounds exactly like the old program where they had these for destination chargers, but not for consumers. The short offering of Gen 2 was to clear out old stock.

From memory, as a summary the old program was to give location owners an incentive to install Tesla destination chargers by offering to install 2/3 of the EVSEs as J1772 as an option on Tesla's dime. Making a version with J1772 connector saved Tesla from having to buy third party EVSEs.

Note these are not CCS, they are simply L2 AC EVSEs. We have yet to see a single CCS1 supercharger.

Reactions: el-guapin
My max rate is 250kW (just over 1000 MPH charging) but even after pre-conditioning on the long drive to Gilroy today I was unable to get more than 120kW outta the EA 350kW station there. I was at 49% but I am usually much higher than that on a Supercharger.
Really? I’d guess that 120 kW starting at 49% was about what you would get at a Supercharger.

Reactions: TravelFree
While I would use the CCS1 for convenience or price on a trip, I think it's more likely I will use a super charger. ABRP seems to be favoring those on the routes I've looked at even when there is a similar EA station nearby. I'm not likely to pour over every stop to try to save 1-2 dollars (if that). Just lazy on my part. So I have it for the flexibility / convenience and more comfort in not being stranded. So If I end up at 125-150 rather than 250, the extra 10 minutes isn't going to kill me (I hope). Having to deal with an emergency via an L2 is a totally different story in my mind. It could take an hour or a couple hours to charge back up to get me to the next super charger.

That's how I'm thinking about this so I'm not concerned at all that there is some difference with the CCS1. I'm just glad I have an alternate fast charge.

I do have the fortune of living between all the free Facebook chargers across the bay and my cities power company that provides free DCFC charging out of the Green Energy Credits we get as an all renewable energy city. I like the CCS adapter better, but have often been able to use my CHAdeMo when the rest of the EVs couldn't charge due to a broken CCS cable. Easily got over $2000 worth of power from that adapter, but it's time to upgrade. Probably pay off the new one by selling the old one.