Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. When MLXXXp asked the question, he is where I am so I included the country/provincial specific adders he/we would pay.

For our cousins South of the 49th, with no taxes, this is a steal and probably exactly what we will pay IF Tesla ever brings it to the NA store.

I was super pleased with the Harumio people. Originally they wanted my account credentials to log into the Korean Tesla site to make the purchase on my account. Ummm nope. I think they are getting so many requests that they found their own way and just added the 'click to buy' option on their website. I was so excited to purchase that I did not read everything through and realize that there was that little S3XY case there for only a few bucks more to add to the order so I missed that. I cannot find it anywhere else and to purchase alone it is $ 45 USD which again is Ummm nope.
It wasn't about luck. In the U.S. if the declared total is under $800.00 then import is free. It's a pretty good deal compared to a lot of countries.

I have no complaints about Harum.io I already had a chademo adapter, and saw that they had a nifty little shotgun bag, that fits the chademo perfectly, it also has plenty of space to load the CCS inside (I am less concerned about physical damage from crush, as I never pack my trunk full, and always know what's in there when I do )

Where do people keep their CCS adapter?

e1fae416-a35f-41e5-a34f-83611a7a25f6_1_105_c-jpeg.810709
Oh, swapped the adapter and the water bottle:

0221C47D-F16F-4A02-96BF-F0C664159EAC_1_102_o.jpeg

Fits nicely, MUST be a Tesla product.

Reactions: Proppilot
I got mine from Harumio on Wednesday evening. Only have one test but it was giving me 124kW (out of a 150 stall) when I was at 40% or so SOC. I just went on the Harumio site and ordered it. It took 15 days but that was over our memorial day weekend. The case (if in stock) might seem pricey but I got it and I'm happy I did.
Well, I felt that the price will justify itself by being able to have the peace of mind of traveling in and out of the Tesla network of Super Chargers. Some of the EA's have faster speeds than SCs and less lines or no lines at their chargers. Depending on when Tesla decides to offer them in North America the price might be higher than what we paid and it may go into supply and demand mode and then a price hike.

Better to have and not need then to need and not have. I think anyone can see that the public charging network will continue to expand in a big way over the next years with the pending proliferation of non-Tesla vehicles. Before I got into this topic, I did not even realize that Petro Canada has a network of high power CCS chargers that go from coast to coast across Canada. Yes, so does Tesla but this adapter really future preps us. As an interesting side note, the first (unknown amount) of F-150 Lightnings come with an adapter that allows the truck to charge Teslas. Lots of discussion on whether it is a marketing stunt or not as really, how many Teslas do you see dead on the side of the road but still an interesting look at the future IE with tow (or service) trucks being able to roll up and in 15 minutes give you a few hundred K's. Probably already exists but how long before AAA/CAA will do that. Not long I am guessing. This has been a great thread. I was CCS un-woke before I stumbled into it and seeing these various options and discussions and then where it ended up, has been the reason why these forums are so useful.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for providing valuable information. I just went ahead and order the CCS1 adapter and carrying case from harumio.

The public charger network isn’t the greatest around where I live in NY but having the option does provide a nice peace of mind.

For those of you that live in NY and travel the NY state thruway and/or route 81…do you know if the state plans on allowing high speed chargers installed at the rest stops. I just looked at plug share and was shocked to find out that most don’t have anything and some just have 1 or 2 chargers at like 50kw or 100kw.

Seems like the perfect locations for high speed chargers (public and tesla). The state is always talking about being green so I guess I just assumed that they would have already been located there.

As an interesting side note, the first (unknown amount) of F-150 Lightnings come with an adapter that allows the truck to charge Teslas
I imagine it's a J1772 plug that can be used to charge any EV. Of course, you'd need the included Tesla adapter to charge a Tesla.
Edit: Looks like the Lightning comes with the same adapter for J1772 that Tesla supplies. Tesla charging adapter

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for providing valuable information. I just went ahead and order the CCS1 adapter and carrying case from harumio.

The public charger network isn’t the greatest around where I live in NY but having the option does provide a nice peace of mind.

For those of you that live in NY and travel the NY state thruway and/or route 81…do you know if the state plans on allowing high speed chargers installed at the rest stops. I just looked at plug share and was shocked to find out that most don’t have anything and some just have 1 or 2 chargers at like 50kw or 100kw.

Seems like the perfect locations for high speed chargers (public and tesla). The state is always talking about being green so I guess I just assumed that they would have already been located there.
Haven't heard anything about the rest stops, but both ends of 81 in NY are covered pretty well by Electrify America/EvolveNY stations that are 150/350kW. Syracuse has 2-4, Binghamton just got one at the truck stop in Kirkwood, and there is one being built in Tully (halfway up 81) by EOY. We will be set as far as Superchargers and CCS chargers! Oh, another Supercharger and CCS station coming in Castle Creek in Q4 as well.

Tested at an Evgo station. Works pretty well and it’s free (only one as far as I know). Car did not precondition, so started a bit slow at 72kW @46%, peaked at 75kW while app reported 79kW. The information of the station is very confusing. In all the apps it says CCS 200kW. At the station, each plug says 50kW(CCS/ChaDeMo/Tesla). Other people reported CCS peak at 80kW on plugshare. The nameplate of the station says Max 125A. The Adapter is paying for itself.

Attachments

• 775D9DA3-03E8-4003-A3DB-20905FB4F11E.jpeg
    775D9DA3-03E8-4003-A3DB-20905FB4F11E.jpeg
    669.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 687DFF75-6ECA-4ADB-8B9A-CB23558EDBEF.jpeg
    687DFF75-6ECA-4ADB-8B9A-CB23558EDBEF.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 47362FD5-D14E-4F3D-A255-09798EB1B529.png
    47362FD5-D14E-4F3D-A255-09798EB1B529.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 66
  • ED91E3CF-AB6D-4246-AE8B-F67543263F4E.jpeg
    ED91E3CF-AB6D-4246-AE8B-F67543263F4E.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: masotime
Tested at an Evgo station. Works pretty well and it’s free (only one as far as I know). Car did not precondition, so started a bit slow at 72kW @46%, peaked at 75kW while app reported 79kW. The information of the station is very confusing. In all the apps it says CCS 200kW. At the station, each plug says 50kW(CCS/ChaDeMo/Tesla). Other people reported CCS peak at 80kW on plugshare. The nameplate of the station says Max 125A. The Adapter is paying for itself.
You had me at free :)

Reactions: masotime
I don't know what's up with that rating label. If I didn't know any better, that label should be on one of the "fat" BTC 50kW chargers. The Chula Vista Burlingame EVgo site clearly has the skinny BTC dispensers that are shown as "200kW" in the EVgo app. It may be that the current is limited to 200A, which would be consistent with your 79kW charging rate. They claim that it's "200kW" because the chargers can go up to 1000VDC. Anyway, one would have to look at the labels on the cabinets behind the fence to see what they can really put out.

I don't know what's up with that rating label. If I didn't know any better, that label should be on one of the "fat" BTC 50kW chargers. The Chula Vista Burlingame EVgo site clearly has the skinny BTC dispensers that are shown as "200kW" in the EVgo app. It may be that the current is limited to 200A, which would be consistent with your 79kW charging rate. They claim that it's "200kW" because the chargers can go up to 1000VDC. Anyway, one would have to look at the labels on the cabinets behind the fence to see what they can really put out.

Yeah it is a weird one. The label on the plug also says 50kW, even the CCS one. Anyway, I don’t see anyone gets 100kW, not to mention 200. EVgo’s information seems all over the place. Also the app says it’s paid but on their website says it’s free.

As someone who also periodically drives on the NYS Thruway, I believe that there is a reason for the lack of DC chargers at rest stops. Once the Thruway eliminated toll booths and went to electronic billing, the rest stops became vestigial. Major Thruway exits have adequate facilities without the ridiculous rest stop price gouging. I'm surprised that NY continues to maintain the rest stops at all.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I received my CCS 1 Adapter and order took only 10 days from South Korea to So Cal. I used Harumio-Korea. Very smooth transaction, no VIN required or your Tesla account information as Tesla Korea requires this information. Harumio is a shipping service provider and they have the CCS1 adapter in their catalog. If you go to their website do a search on Tesla and the CCS1 and the storage case will come up. Currently $309 USD free shipping for the adapter and the the adapter case $45 USD. I figured if I wait too long for Tesla to offer them in the US & Canada I was afraid of the long wait, unknown price and the "what if" of Korea shutting down and no longer offering the adapter to the US or unavailable due to the demand.

Attachments

• 20220609_191334.jpg
    20220609_191334.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220609_191459.jpg
    20220609_191459.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220609_191303.jpg
    20220609_191303.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220609_191310.jpg
    20220609_191310.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 65
I figured if I wait too long for Tesla to offer them in the US & Canada I was afraid of the long wait, unknown price and the "what if" of Korea shutting down and no longer offering the adapter to the US or unavailable due to the demand.
+1 on your logic. I ordered mine from Harumio yesterday.

Since this thread is soooooo long, here's the website link again. Harumio