Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my CCS 1 Adapter and order took only 10 days from South Korea to So Cal. I used Harumio-Korea. Very smooth transaction, no VIN required or your Tesla account information as Tesla Korea requires this information. Harumio is a shipping service provider and they have the CCS1 adapter in their catalog. If you go to their website do a search on Tesla and the CCS1 and the storage case will come up. Currently $309 USD free shipping for the adapter and the the adapter case $45 USD. I figured if I wait too long for Tesla to offer them in the US & Canada I was afraid of the long wait, unknown price and the "what if" of Korea shutting down and no longer offering the adapter to the US or unavailable due to the demand.
I agree...similar logic for why I ordered one a few days ago. I have a few road trips coming up and it will be nice to have this as an option.

I just went into PlugShare and there are NO EVgo stations listed as being free. Please tell us the location so that info can be updated. No way on the EVgo app to filter out pay for locations...
EVGo has been part of an incentive program for some new EV owners. These usually are temporary. I had a free card for 2 years on my Nissan Leaf. All these charging companies have had promotion days and even years from time to time.

One more data point, just because.

Near the closest supercharger is a 350kW Petro-Canada system, so I was able to precondition on the way up. Arrived at 71% SOC; got 64kW immediately which gradually fell to 55kW as it approached 80% and suddenly fell to 45kW just before it stopped charging. Total time for 71% - 80% was eight minutes. I think it's clear that if I want to see faster speeds than this that I need to arrive with a lower SOC.

Attachments

• DSC_0099.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 70
Thanks. I asked because I came upon this: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Adapter-Compatible-Flange-2Packs/dp/B096BC6CN4/ and wondered if, even mechanically locked, the plug can be forcibly removed. With other EVs, I know one can force out the J1772 even when it is locked in place by the vehicle.
I assume if you are motivated enough you could find a way to defeat the lock (just like any lock) and remove the adapter but it should be sufficient to deter someone from stealing a $300 adapter.

Reactions: snovvman
Thanks. I asked because I came upon this: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Adapter-Compatible-Flange-2Packs/dp/B096BC6CN4/ and wondered if, even mechanically locked, the plug can be forcibly removed. With other EVs, I know one can force out the J1772 even when it is locked in place by the vehicle.
That flange device is intended to keep somebody from unplugging a J1772 charge handle from the J1772-to-Tesla adapter, as might happen if you're charging somewhere public and somebody else wants to charge, or is just a jerk who thinks it'll be amusing to inconvenience an EV owner. AFAIK, that device does nothing to secure to adapter itself. The flange device works by restricting the movement of the locking pin on the J1772 handle. Tesla's CCS1 adapter includes a similar restriction in the adapter itself, so as to prevent unplugging the CCS1 plug when the car is charging. Since the Tesla locks the charge cable (or adapter) to the car while charging, the adapter can't normally be removed, even if the J1772 plug is unplugged. (I believe that there is an exception: When temperatures are close to or below freezing, Tesla does not lock the charge port, so as to prevent problems that some owners had in the past with the locking mechanism literally freezing up. There was some discussion of this 2+ years ago, when people had problems soon after the Model 3 was released. I haven't seen much discussion of this issue since then, so it's conceivable that Tesla has found another workaround. Thus, there might be some risk of theft in winter months, but I've never heard of anybody's J1772 adapter being stolen because of this.)

I'm sure that if you gripped hard enough (which might require a tool) and yanked hard enough (again, possibly requiring a tool), you could force a J1772 (or CCS1) adapter out of a Tesla, even when it was locked to the car. That would almost certainly damage something, though -- the adapter and/or the car. I have yet to hear any stories of people who've had their J1772 adapters stolen in this way, or the more expensive CHAdeMO adapter for that matter.

That flange device is intended to keep somebody from unplugging a J1772 charge handle from the J1772-to-Tesla adapter, as might happen if you're charging somewhere public and somebody else wants to charge, or is just a jerk who thinks it'll be amusing to inconvenience an EV owner. AFAIK, that device does nothing to secure to adapter itself. The flange device works by restricting the movement of the locking pin on the J1772 handle. Tesla's CCS1 adapter includes a similar restriction in the adapter itself, so as to prevent unplugging the CCS1 plug when the car is charging. Since the Tesla locks the charge cable (or adapter) to the car while charging, the adapter can't normally be removed, even if the J1772 plug is unplugged. (I believe that there is an exception: When temperatures are close to or below freezing, Tesla does not lock the charge port, so as to prevent problems that some owners had in the past with the locking mechanism literally freezing up. There was some discussion of this 2+ years ago, when people had problems soon after the Model 3 was released. I haven't seen much discussion of this issue since then, so it's conceivable that Tesla has found another workaround. Thus, there might be some risk of theft in winter months, but I've never heard of anybody's J1772 adapter being stolen because of this.)

I'm sure that if you gripped hard enough (which might require a tool) and yanked hard enough (again, possibly requiring a tool), you could force a J1772 (or CCS1) adapter out of a Tesla, even when it was locked to the car. That would almost certainly damage something, though -- the adapter and/or the car. I have yet to hear any stories of people who've had their J1772 adapters stolen in this way, or the more expensive CHAdeMO adapter for that matter.
If you have, or have access to a 3D printer, the files for that are free on Thingverse and you can print it for under a dollar of PLA filament

You can see the location of the charger in the screenshot I posted. In plugshare, one of the stall listed as free in station details, but when click show pricing, it shows not free. Seems all over the place.
I just went into PlugShare and there are NO EVgo stations listed as being free. Please tell us the location so that info can be updated. No way on the EVgo app to filter out pay for locations...

Is the CCS adapter at risk of theft? I presume someone can force the adapter out of the car during charge and take the adapter?
The adapter is locked into the vehicle when charging and also when car is locked, just like the J1772 adapter. And when you plug the CCS adapter into the vehicle, the little metal pin actually pushes in and locks the CCS handle into the adapter, preventing you from pressing the release button on the CCS handle to unplug... So you need to plug/unplug CCS handle into/from the adapter before plugging into the vehicle.

Reactions: Genie
The adapter is locked into the vehicle when charging and also when car is locked, just like the J1772 adapter. And when you plug the CCS adapter into the vehicle, the little metal pin actually pushes in and locks the CCS handle into the adapter, preventing you from pressing the release button on the CCS handle to unplug... So you need to plug/unplug CCS handle into/from the adapter before plugging into the vehicle.
I'm confused about unplugging after the charge is complete. How do you do that?

I'm confused about unplugging after the charge is complete. How do you do that?
After charging is complete, unlock the charge port either from the car or the app, unplug the whole adapter with the CCS handle from the car, then you can separate the handle from the adapter by first pressing the button on the CCS handle. The fit is very snug with the couple of CCS chargers I've tried, so beware to not let the adapter fly out of you hand if applying too much force.

After charging is complete, unlock the charge port either from the car or the app, unplug the whole adapter with the CCS handle from the car, then you can separate the handle from the adapter by first pressing the button on the CCS handle. The fit is very snug with the couple of CCS chargers I've tried, so beware to not let the adapter fly out of you hand if applying too much force.
For all the EA stations I used so far (16 sessions on my roadtrips so far), you just press the button on the CCS handle. When I did that, it unlocked the chargeport, as the T logo switched to white, and I was able to pull the whole thing out, then when it is out, I press the button on the handle to remove the adapter. The only time this didn't work, was when I didn't have my phone on me, so I had the wife unlock the chargeport from inside the car.

For all the EA stations I used so far (16 sessions on my roadtrips so far), you just press the button on the CCS handle. When I did that, it unlocked the chargeport, as the T logo switched to white, and I was able to pull the whole thing out, then when it is out, I press the button on the handle to remove the adapter. The only time this didn't work, was when I didn't have my phone on me, so I had the wife unlock the chargeport from inside the car.
I used mine at a Chargepoint last week and that technique didn’t work (MX legacy) so I unlocked it on the nav screen. I’m sure the app or fob would also have worked, just not the CCS button.