Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested my adapter at an EA station today. I arrived with 31% battery, plugged in to a 150kW charger, and started charging at 135kW according to the EA screen. The Tesla screen said 125 so I guess there were some losses...resistive, BMS, whatever.
I was able to gain 35% charge in 15 minutes. I'm a happy camper.
Edit: I did not pre-condition to a nearby supercharger but the outside temp was 92F.

Last edited:
For all the EA stations I used so far (16 sessions on my roadtrips so far), you just press the button on the CCS handle. When I did that, it unlocked the chargeport, as the T logo switched to white, and I was able to pull the whole thing out, then when it is out, I press the button on the handle to remove the adapter. The only time this didn't work, was when I didn't have my phone on me, so I had the wife unlock the chargeport from inside the car.
I tried it today. After I pushed the stop button on the EA charger, I made sure the car was unlocked, then pushed the button on the EA CCS plug and pulled the plug out from the adapter. The adapter stayed in the car. After a few seconds, I was able to pull out the adapter. The charge flap on the car stayed up until the car locked, at which point it closed.
I never did see how to unlock the charge port on the Tesla screen or the app.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
That isn't supposed to be possible. The latch on the CCS plug must have been broken...
I have heard that the CCS latch is prone to being broken, from other forums... I encountered a broken latch on one of the stations near Redding. One of the handles wouldn't connect to the car. The other did, but but it wouldn't latch/click onto the adapter... I just made sure it was snug, and tried it anyways, and it worked.

Reactions: jsight
That isn't supposed to be possible. The latch on the CCS plug must have been broken...

Alternatively, the adapter partly dislodged enough from the car inlet so that the CCS plug was no longer locked to the adapter.
i suppose either could be true, although this happened at two chargers. Both of the CCS plugs were "well used" so maybe the latch was broken on both. Or, since my adapter is new, maybe it's a tight fit and I didn't pull hard enough....

Providing another CCS1 adapter charging data point:
Got to test my CCS1 adapter yesterday at an Electrify America. The stall was a 150kW stall and I charged from 30% - 90% in 34 minutes. I didn't monitor what the station said I was getting, but the Model Y said it peaked at 128kW @ 41% and tapered down to 39kW before hitting the 90% charge limit.
D12C8CBB-E3F2-44E3-9741-CA47F5D6817A.jpg
I was logging with TeslaFi and I wanted to see what it was like compared to v2 and v3 SuC's that I had charged with in the past. I know that a sample size of 1 for each of these is in no way conclusive, but it looks like this gets similar performance to Superchargers between the 30% - 90% SoC range.
I normalized one graph by SoC and one by the duration of the charge:
SoCNormalized.pngTimeNormalized.png
Of course where a v3 SuC will shine the most is below this SoC, but still good info to know.
Also, I got a bonus as I got to check out a Lucid Air Grand Touring that was charging next to us :p
Lucid.jpg

Or, since my adapter is new, maybe it's a tight fit and I didn't pull hard enough....
It could be this, as the first few times I used it, I thought the adapter was stuck. It also doesn't help that the CCS cable is so heavy/thick, causing the adapter to put pressure on the port... After a while I got accustomed to supporting the cable with my hand, and removing the adapter/CCS handle with two hands... This worked much easier then trying to remove it one handed like I do at SuperChargers.

Reactions: theothertom
Providing another CCS1 adapter charging data point:
Got to test my CCS1 adapter yesterday at an Electrify America. The stall was a 150kW stall and I charged from 30% - 90% in 34 minutes. I didn't monitor what the station said I was getting, but the Model Y said it peaked at 128kW @ 41% and tapered down to 39kW before hitting the 90% charge limit.
View attachment 816890
I was logging with TeslaFi and I wanted to see what it was like compared to v2 and v3 SuC's that I had charged with in the past. I know that a sample size of 1 for each of these is in no way conclusive, but it looks like this gets similar performance to Superchargers between the 30% - 90% SoC range.
I normalized one graph by SoC and one by the duration of the charge:
View attachment 816892View attachment 816893
Of course where a v3 SuC will shine the most is below this SoC, but still good info to know.
Also, I got a bonus as I got to check out a Lucid Air Grand Touring that was charging next to us :p
View attachment 816891
Out of curiousity, what was the ambient temperature when you did this? I only ask, becuase I happened to charge at an EA a few days ago, and plugged in at 30% SoC at a 150 kW charger. I did not precondition, and only drove about 20 minutes from my hotel to visit my niece, and then stopped at the EA charger near her apt. It was about 106 degrees outside, and I peaked at 149 kW. According to the app, it said my charging session was also 30-90% SoC, and took a hair over 30 minutes flat

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, what was the ambient temperature when you did this? I only ask, becuase I happened to charge at an EA a few days ago, and plugged in at 30% SoC at a 150 kW charger. I did not precondition, and only drove about 20 minutes from my hotel to visit my niece, and then stopped at the EA charger near her apt. It was about 106 degrees outside, and I peaked at 149 kW. According to the app, it said my charging session was also 30-90% SoC, and took a hair over 30 minutes flat
149kW, that's amazing! I bet your pack was way warmed up better than mine, it was 94°F here during the charge (no preconditioning as well). We had just been running some errands around town but stopped to visit with some friends for around an hour before going to charge.

I received my adapter today from Harumio. It came in a nice brown inconspicuous shipping box unlike items ordered from Tesla USA that tells everyone what you have in the box. The new, sealed Tesla branded box was inside.

Outstanding experience from Harumio start to finish.

Order June 9
Shipped June 13
Delivered June 15

Prety amazing compared to other international shipments in the past. Highly recommended.

149kW, that's amazing! I bet your pack was way warmed up better than mine, it was 94°F here during the charge (no preconditioning as well). We had just been running some errands around town but stopped to visit with some friends for around an hour before going to charge.

These chargers are maxed at 350A. If you are 3/Y, the max you can get is around 380x350=133kw if you are new S/X, you can get about 150kw

Just under 2 weeks ago I began to look into purchasing the CCS combo 1 adapter for my 2021 Model Y directly from Tesla in South Korea. It arrived today after 13 days since my original contact with Tesla SK. I set up an account with a company called Delivered Korea Delivered Korea | Shop Korea, Ship Worldwide | Free Korean Address and then with my VPN set to South Korea and some strugles with web browsers and Google Translate I was able to log into my Tesla account in South Korea and place the order with delivery to my new Korean address provided by Delivered Korea. The package forwarding company, Delivered Korea was great to deal with and the language difference was not an issue. The total cost including the CCS adapter, fees, taxes, duties and shipping was just over $350.00 Can.
This is my first post on Tesla Motors CLub so I hope it was interesting. There were challenges along the way with this purchase but I am happy to have this additional charging option. It seems that the CCS adapter isn't anywhere close to being available in Canada in the near future.

Attachments

• CCS Adapter.jpg
    CCS Adapter.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 156
I hope you like it.

That does sound like a difficult process. I ordered a few days ago from Harum for $309 US as another poster here had suggested. Paid by paypal, didn't have to use a VPN or address forward or tesla account or VIN, etc.

These chargers are maxed at 350A. If you are 3/Y, the max you can get is around 380x350=133kw if you are new S/X, you can get about 150kw
It looks like EA actually has some 500A chargers out there now according to the folks in this thread:

Although determining which one is which would take some investigation around the charging hardware.

It looks like EA actually has some 500A chargers out there now according to the folks in this thread:

Although determining which one is which would take some investigation around the charging hardware.

That’s 350kw dispenser, not 150. Both EA and EVgo app will tell you which one is which, so you don’t have to investigate. Also I checked the dispenser in avs007’s post (his car is model y, it would be helpful if he mentioned it), it looks like a abb dispenser, with a 375a current limit. The btc dispenser (more common in my area) is limited to 350a.

Also it is not unusual that these dispensers provide current larger than its spec. We saw at least one example the model Y reached 200+kW at 540A, larger than the CCS standard (500A)

• Informative
Reactions: StoicKiwi