Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've also ordered through Harumio, but I added the case.

I ordered on Jun 4, but received an email on Jun 8 saying the case was out of stock, with the next batch expected in "around Jun 20" and that I "might only be able to receive them by end of this month"... Based on the recent posts showing delivery in ~1 week, seems like I'll get my order fairly soon (assuming the cases are re-stocked next week...). I'll give Harumio credit -- the email from them was well written, offered a refund if I'd like to cancel the order, and confirmed that if I don't mind waiting that it will ship out once the backordered case arrives.

I've had a CHAdeMO adapter for years (bought it back in '16 for a road trip in our prior S that took us off the Supercharger highway -- although that route is now on the highway). I rarely used it since then, and gave it to my Mom to keep with her 3 since she lives in a place with fewer Superchargers. I don't expect to use the CCS adapter often, but it will come in handy on road trips with our Y. I've always liked having a bit of charging flexibility!

I've also ordered through Harumio, but I added the case.

I ordered on Jun 4, but received an email on Jun 8 saying the case was out of stock, with the next batch expected in "around Jun 20" and that I "might only be able to receive them by end of this month"... Based on the recent posts showing delivery in ~1 week, seems like I'll get my order fairly soon (assuming the cases are re-stocked next week...). I'll give Harumio credit -- the email from them was well written, offered a refund if I'd like to cancel the order, and confirmed that if I don't mind waiting that it will ship out once the backordered case arrives.

I've had a CHAdeMO adapter for years (bought it back in '16 for a road trip in our prior S that took us off the Supercharger highway -- although that route is now on the highway). I rarely used it since then, and gave it to my Mom to keep with her 3 since she lives in a place with fewer Superchargers. I don't expect to use the CCS adapter often, but it will come in handy on road trips with our Y. I've always liked having a bit of charging flexibility!
I received the same response after ordering my adapter with case. I responded to the email asking to refund me for the case, which they did. I received my adapter 10 days later by DHL. Tip: You can track the shipment using DHL web site and if you are OK with it, tell them no signature for drop off.

I received the same response after ordering my adapter with case. I responded to the email asking to refund me for the case, which they did. I received my adapter 10 days later by DHL. Tip: You can track the shipment using DHL web site and if you are OK with it, tell them no signature for drop off.
Another tip: If you live near a DHL service center, you may be able to request that it be held there, and pick it up a day earlier than the day that it would otherwise be delivered. That's what I did.

Another third-party CCS1-to-Tesla adapter (similar to the SETEC)? See post here.
Be careful if you get that. At first glance, it doesn't look like the car has a way to lock the CCS1 connector to the adapter... Which is technically required to be standards compliant in the US. The official Tesla adapter (if and when you can get one) has a little pin that locks the CCS1 connector to the adapter once the adapter is inserted into the car.

Also, I can't tell if it's just a mechanical adapter (no logic, circuits or programming) like the official Tesla CCS1 adapter or if it tries to emulate a CHAdeMO adapter like the SETEC one does. If it's emulating CHAdeMO, then the most you'll ever get out of it is 50kw. Like the OP thinks in the post linked in my reply, I suspect it may be emulating CHAdeMO since the pictures show a USB cable

Reactions: Tensorflow
Here's one way a third party station in Taiwan was able to chain a public CCS adapter to a security cable:
995-0a29f7d0ea.jpeg

特斯拉原廠 CCS1 to TPC 轉接頭登陸台灣,就在台泥 NHOA.TCC 充電站 (花蓮 DAKA)::DDCAR 電動車
Tesla will switch to CCS2 (from proprietary connector) in Taiwan starting Q3 2021

Was thinking how it would be possible, and it seems like a clamp like this is one of the few possible ways.

I received my adapter today from Harumio. It came in a nice brown inconspicuous shipping box unlike items ordered from Tesla USA that tells everyone what you have in the box. The new, sealed Tesla branded box was inside.

Outstanding experience from Harumio start to finish.

Order June 9
Shipped June 13
Delivered June 15

Prety amazing compared to other international shipments in the past. Highly recommended.
Thats funny,
Mine was ordered/received same days as yours :)

Reactions: Mark57
Seems like the best trick is the one EVgo did with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapters, they got them with long Tesla cables coming out of them and permanently attached the adapter part to the charge station and then you just plug the CHAdeMO wand into it when you wanna charge a Tesla.

iu
Might not work so well in this case given the much higher current (not 50kW limited like CHAdeMO adapter), so you would need much thicker cables (or liquid cooled like some CCS are). The chained adapter on a security cable is much simpler, although obviously much less elegant. Just throwing it out there in case it might help "inspire" some charge networks here in the US to do something similar (as it's not as immediately obvious how to secure the adapter, unlike the CHAdeMO one which had a cable section that made it easy to just strap to).

Last edited:
Might not work so well in this case given the much higher current (not 50kW limited like CHAdeMO adapter), so you would need much thicker cables (or liquid cooled like some CCS are).
I see this as a big limitation for adapters, in general.
The chained adapter on a security cable is much simpler, although obviously much less elegant.
I've seen the chained adapter in a couple of places, however, the adapter is subject to a lot of abuse. The place I've seen it work well for the longest time is the amazing parking garage (Caltech - California Garage #3 | PlugShare) at CalTech, however it's clientele tends to be a bit more respectful than would might expect to pass through the average highway rest stop or convenience store.
EVgo's approach is nice because it protects the adapter from damage, intentional or through carelessness.

I ordered from Harumio on the 19th, and then saw the order was cancelled and refunded today. I ending up eating almost $30 though because of the changes in exchange rates I guess. Huge waste of time. Is there another source for the CCS adapters?

I ordered from Harumio on the 19th, and then saw the order was cancelled and refunded today. I ending up eating almost $30 though because of the changes in exchange rates I guess. Huge waste of time. Is there another source for the CCS adapters?
You probably will not like this answer but there used to be adapters available from Ukraine. At the moment, all I can find using Google is this:

Note that this is available as a pre-order. Shipping is supposed to start in September.

You probably will not like this answer but there used to be adapters available from Ukraine. At the moment, all I can find using Google is this:

Note that this is available as a pre-order. Shipping is supposed to start in September.
The one I'd heard of from Ukraine was this one, which looks different from the photos on the site you've referenced. In fact, the one you've cited looks exactly like the Tesla adapter people are ordering from South Korea -- I can even see a Tesla logo in two photos (one on the box, one on the adapter itself). I suspect the site you found is simply a different grey-market importer of Tesla's official adapter.

Note that the Ukrainian adapter has the same design flaw as the Setec adapter (which is limited to 50 kW because it spoofs Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter) -- namely, it's possible to unplug the CCS cable from the adapter without first stopping charging, thus creating an arc flash hazard. Thus, I wouldn't recommend using the Ukrainian adapter even if you could get your hands on one.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod