Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 charges faster on an Electrify America charging station than on a Tesla V3 Supercharger
View attachment 823252
View attachment 823253
Those graphs can't possibly be accurate and should definitely be ignored. On the Power vs Time graph, the V3 supercharger and the EA station performance are basically identical for the first 4+ minutes while the power is ramping up. Then the V3 power is significantly above the EA power for the next ~15 minutes, up until 20 minutes of total elapsed time, when the V3 ramps down to a lower power. So how is the V3 shown with lower SOC over the first ~20 minutes in the SOC vs Time graph when the V3 has been charging at equal or higher power for that entire time?

Even if you posited that EA actually ramped faster and had built a hard to see lead in the first ~5 minutes, the SOC vs Time graph shows a gap opening up with EA widening a lead over those next ~15 minutes when the supercharger is delivering more power that entire time. Doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I misread the graphs' axes and so misinterpreted what I was seeing in them. Thanks to stopcrazypp for catching my error. Also, I should have originally included the caveat that even with [what I thought were] incorrect graphs, that didn't necessarily mean that the bottom-line take away of EA being faster was wrong.

Last edited:
Those graphs can't possibly be accurate and should definitely be ignored. On the Power vs Time graph, the V3 supercharger and the EA station performance are basically identical for the first 4+ minutes while the power is ramping up. Then the V3 power is significantly above the EA power for the next ~15 minutes, up until 20 minutes of total elapsed time, when the V3 ramps down to a lower power. So how is the V3 shown with lower SOC over the first ~20 minutes in the SOC vs Time graph when the V3 has been charging at equal or higher power for that entire time?

Even if you posited that EA actually ramped faster and had built a hard to see lead in the first ~5 minutes, the SOC vs Time graph shows a gap opening up with EA widening a lead over those next ~15 minutes when the supercharger is delivering more power that entire time. Doesn't make any sense.
The first graph is not a power vs time graph, it's a power vs SOC graph. It's a bit confusing to cross reference the two due to the x-axis having different units.
That said, up to 20% SOC V3 should be beating CCS according the first graph, but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the second graph (it seems to instead suggest CCS is always faster), so something is off on that one.
If they have a spreadsheet probably the issue can be found.

The first graph is not a power vs time graph, it's a power vs SOC graph. It's a bit confusing to cross reference the two due to the x-axis having different units.
Wow, not sure how I missed that as I specifically remember checking to make sure they were both using charge time as the x-axis. Only thing I can think of is that when I checked the second graph, I did so by looking in the quoted section that is automatically populated when replying to a comment here on TMC and then when I tried to check to the first graph I did so by scrolling up to the original comment by Mockingbird and must have looked at the label on the second graph again. Dumb mistake.

I have actually developed with CCS. The electromechanical interlock is most definitely required. Show me a production car anywhere that doesn't have such a device on it's DCFC connector. Once the vehicle detects that current has stopped flowing it will release the interlock. Depending on the charger, pressing the release button will request an immediate charge stop. (change in proximity state)

Again, this isn't needed for standard AC charging.
I got a question for you. Can you pm me.?

I ordered one from Harumio and it was a straight CC transaction from their web site. I didn’t have to give them my Tesla credentials or any other jumping through hoops. NOTHING. Easy Peasy.
Just got mine from them, they were great except their shipping provider is still in 2010.

They use JDL for shipping. I changed delivery to back door to reduce theft risk.

First projected delivery 7/1, then on 7/2, 7/3 and 7/4 it said 7/2. Then it showed up on 7/4 and was delivered to my front porch instead of my back door.

Nice.
Since I'd got mine in May, I've been almost using it with Electrify Canada exclusively in GTA. I've joined the Pass+ membership since I don't have a home charge and it average out 32cents/kWh and the chargers of EC are pretty reliable. It will even be cheaper to use Petro-Can CCS but it's a hit & miss in those chargers.
Just hope there will not be any side-effects/problems in long term use with the CCS adapter.

Looks like a broken V3 supercharger. Why did it cap at less than 190 kW instead of going all the way to 250 kW?

I guess you might have been looking at the EA line instead?

It's interesting that Tesla allows the EA to sustain a "higher" (180kW+) charge rate over a longer period for the EA charger. I wonder if there's some kind of automatic "safety cutoff" that prevents charging at 250kW for too long from the V3 supercharger - but even then, it surprises me that it couldn't just continue at ~190kW after the 250kW peak as the EA station did. I'm very curious about the power regulation algorithm.

Reactions: jsight
Tesla Model 3 charges faster on an Electrify America charging station than on a Tesla V3 Supercharger

View attachment 823252
View attachment 823253
Another sensationalist headline for people who fail to read articles. The fine print explains this is a terrible, unscientific test. Let's compare charging rates/times but have a 5 kWh difference in energy intake! Makes total sense! Let's compare charge rates/times from a vehicle an entire year later! Lmao what a joke

1657230134477.png

1657229981241.png

I guess you might have been looking at the EA line instead?

It's interesting that Tesla allows the EA to sustain a "higher" (180kW+) charge rate over a longer period for the EA charger. I wonder if there's some kind of automatic "safety cutoff" that prevents charging at 250kW for too long from the V3 supercharger - but even then, it surprises me that it couldn't just continue at ~190kW after the 250kW peak as the EA station did. I'm very curious about the power regulation algorithm.
Oh ok, that's confusing. The right side of the screen at the beginning was the Tesla screen when charging at the EA charger. NOT the Tesla screen when charging at the V3 SC.

Nice.
Since I'd got mine in May, I've been almost using it with Electrify Canada exclusively in GTA. I've joined the Pass+ membership since I don't have a home charge and it average out 32cents/kWh and the chargers of EC are pretty reliable. It will even be cheaper to use Petro-Can CCS but it's a hit & miss in those chargers.
Just hope there will not be any side-effects/problems in long term use with the CCS adapter.
There will not be “side effects” any different than using a supercharger. DCFC is the same to the car no matter what branding it has.

I tried to buy another CCS1 adapter in Tesla Korea Shop but I got "payment declined" errror. I inspected the network traffic and one of the payment response shows "The merchant does not accept credit cards issued outside of Korea."

Looks like Tesla does not want people outside of Korea to get the CCS1 adapters. Harumio is the only way to source the CCS1 Adapter as of now