Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are falling down the hole of conspiracy crapola. EV fast charging is a small fraction of peak load. For a much better answer, take a peek at your thermometer.
What? Does the cost of charging EVs go up when A/Cs go on? Will it go back down after? It feels more like each year Tesla charging has gone up, not down, so I don't get what you are saying and why you call it conspiracy? The electric companies are discovering it's very resource intensive to support EV charging and so they are dinging Charging companies with high demand charges.

xcel-rates-for-charging-png.86364

teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/demand-charges-—-the-hidden-cost-and-dirty-secret-of-ev-charging-for-businesses.49620/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Limited
The electric companies are discovering it's very resource intensive to support EV charging and so they are dinging Charging companies with high demand charges.
The demand charges for EV charging are no higher than demand charges for any other high kW supply.
The contribution of total load from EV charging during peak hours is a small fraction.

I don't know how else to explain this to you. Can someone else help Randy here ?

The electric companies are discovering it's very resource intensive to support EV charging and so they are dinging Charging companies with high demand charges.
Peak demand charges are nothing new, they existed long before EV charging. This is not something that electric companies are just discovering, every single, commercial and industrial user pays them and with public EV chargers being a commercial enterprise they have incurred demand charges just like every other commercial user. I was a facilities manger for a large commercial building and our biggest energy usage was HVAC and to minimize our demand charges I had to stagger the scheduling of when the heat pumps turned on in the morning for various zones of the building. This often meant turning on areas way before it was actually needed so that everything didn't spike at once. Overall power usage increased but our cost was reduced because our demand charges before were as high as our usage charges. Sounds crazy doesn't it?

Last edited:
Residential rates have not increased for PSE customers in WA, but have proposed ~20% increase over 3 years, with the largest step coming naturally coming first, if approved. We are still on almost 50% fossil fuel here
so clearly investments are needed to get off the coal and gas.

My guess, SC rates increased because the market will bear it, simple as that.
I'm surprised that you're at 50% fossil fuel here.

Where I live it's mostly hydro.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy

I just looked up PSE. It said it was 25% hydro, 25% coal, 25% natural gas,. And the rest a mix of others in small numbers

Just under 2 weeks ago I began to look into purchasing the CCS combo 1 adapter for my 2021 Model Y directly from Tesla in South Korea. It arrived today after 13 days since my original contact with Tesla SK. I set up an account with a company called Delivered Korea Delivered Korea | Shop Korea, Ship Worldwide | Free Korean Address and then with my VPN set to South Korea and some strugles with web browsers and Google Translate I was able to log into my Tesla account in South Korea and place the order with delivery to my new Korean address provided by Delivered Korea. The package forwarding company, Delivered Korea was great to deal with and the language difference was not an issue. The total cost including the CCS adapter, fees, taxes, duties and shipping was just over $350.00 Can.
This is my first post on Tesla Motors CLub so I hope it was interesting. There were challenges along the way with this purchase but I am happy to have this additional charging option. It seems that the CCS adapter isn't anywhere close to being available in Canada in the near future.
Also trying to order from Canada. How did you place an order on Tesla SK without a Korean Credit Card?

If you look on harumio's listing for just the case, there's pictures of the spacer being used with the CCS1 adapter:
View attachment 829275View attachment 829280

Does the adapter really stick out that much? I really wish I was able to get the adapter + the case, the case looks sweet (but not $45 sweet) and the adapter is pretty much unavailable as of now
I have used mine twice so far and have wondered what that piece of foam was, now I know. Thanks for enlightening folks like me.

I just looked up PSE. It said it was 25% hydro, 25% coal, 25% natural gas,. And the rest a mix of others in small numbers
Yeah, the exactly what the original poster saw.

I was just surprised that there was that big of a difference between PUD and PSE.

People make decisions based on what their expectations are, and the expectations in the PNW is that most energy is hydroelectric. So its a little concerning that PSE isn't really all that clean/sustainable.

Reactions: Genie

I was just surprised that there was that big of a difference between PUD and PSE.

People make decisions based on what their expectations are, and the expectations in the PNW is that most energy is hydroelectric. So its a little concerning that PSE isn't really all that clean/sustainable.
I was born here and thought my whole life we were almost entirely hydro but that was maybe never true

I was born here and thought my whole life we were almost entirely hydro but that was maybe never true
What may be happening is a difference in what figure people are talking about as to why the numbers are different. I had that same confusion and found out about this several years ago in Idaho.

I kept hearing things like "over 80% hydroelectric" but then other times I would hear "50% hydroelectric". I thought, "The data should be pretty specific. How can they be that far off?

It was the difference between how much energy was PRODUCED in the state versus how much was CONSUMED in the state.

A very high amount of the energy that is produced in the state does come from hydroelectric, as in much of the Northwest. But with the area growing in population so quickly the last couple of decades, the usage has increased quite a bit, and that was leading to Idaho Power needing to import more and more extra energy from out of state generating plants like in Wyoming, which were more of coal and natural gas. So the energy consumed in the state had a lower % of hydroelectric.

I'm in PSE's service area and as I recall they buy more than half of their electricity from the grid. That may impact the actual mix.

Honestly, I thought the same thing growing up in the PacNW. I always thought growing up, our power came mostly from hydro... So I just looked up our PUD, and it says our power comes from 70% carbon free (63% Hydro) and 29% Natural Gas.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and Genie