Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was successfully able to order one directly from Tesla KR months ago to a Delivered KR address. Tried to order a second one today (using different Tesla account), and it looks like they are declining any non-KR payment methods. I spoke with Delivered KR CS and they told me Tesla is also cancelling any orders that are being shipped to known proxy addresses. Looks like Tesla is trying to nip this trend in the bud.

Was successfully able to order one directly from Tesla KR months ago to a Delivered KR address. Tried to order a second one today (using different Tesla account), and it looks like they are declining any non-KR payment methods. I spoke with Delivered KR CS and they told me Tesla is also cancelling any orders that are being shipped to known proxy addresses. Looks like Tesla is trying to nip this trend in the bud.
Yep, the fountain has run dry (or Tesla has sucked all the water out of the fountain and poured cement down the drain. Lol)
Curious to see how high Ebay prices go now.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Then why tease that the adapter will be available in the USA "soon?" And why discontinue CHAdeMO for those who need it. (That competes with SC but only barely at 43kw.)

It seems to me that Tesla's investor-, public-, and customer-relations are based primarily on "tease".

Count me in the camp of people that think the obvious reason they haven't released it yet in the U.S. is that they haven't yet figured out the support. And "support" could be a wide range of things, from staff to take additional calls for roadside service because they can't figure out which end of the adapter goes into the car or how to operate the phone app for the charging site, to dealing with a larger variety of firmware deployed in U.S. charging stations and their associated interpretations/implementations of the protocols.

• Love
Reactions: DrGriz and Rocky_H
It seems to me that Tesla's investor-, public-, and customer-relations are based primarily on "tease".

Count me in the camp of people that think the obvious reason they haven't released it yet in the U.S. is that they haven't yet figured out the support. And "support" could be a wide range of things, from staff to take additional calls for roadside service because they can't figure out which end of the adapter goes into the car or how to operate the phone app for the charging site, to dealing with a larger variety of firmware deployed in U.S. charging stations and their associated interpretations/implementations of the protocols.
Not being able to adequately provide support has not stopped them from offering other products, including the vehicle itself. If you know of a way to get "support" for your car, Powerwall, wall connector, solar panels other than an e-mail that is likely not monitored or a kludgy app-based system where you are intentionally routed through a barely working messaging system, let me know!

So when the Koren demand is satisfied, or at least wanes, do you think they'll start allowing it to be exported again?
I think that the "Korean" demand is actually mostly North American, and now that Tesla realizes what is going on, they will probably not entertain opening up the floodgates again until they are ready to release to North America. That is just a conjecture though. Obviously I have no inside info.

I think that the "Korean" demand is actually mostly North American, and now that Tesla realizes what is going on, they will probably not entertain opening up the floodgates again until they are ready to release to North America. That is just a conjecture though. Obviously I have no inside info.
Yeah, I'm betting outside of the initial release, most of the buyers later on were NA buyers, which directly impacts whatever planned stock they had for Korea. My prediction remains the same as previous, they will launch in NA only when the chip supply situation for CCS is completely behind them (meaning all new cars will have CCS for sure and they have a decent supply for retrofits/repairs on top of that).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
Then why tease that the adapter will be available in the USA "soon?" And why discontinue CHAdeMO for those who need it. (That competes with SC but only barely at 43kw.)
If you look at the actual tweet, it was for an account that is global. The primary announcement is to announce the launch of the adapter in SK, the bit about NA was just a side note:

They might have thought the CCS chip supply issue was behind them but it turned out to not be the case (I remember just recently there were deliveries delayed waiting for charge port ECUs).

Last edited:
If you look at the actual tweet, it was for an account that is global. The primary announcement is to announce the launch of the adapter in SK, the bit about NA was just a side note:

They might have thought the CCS chip supply issue was behind them but it turned out to not be the case (I remember just recently there were deliveries delayed waiting for charge port ECUs).
Ah yeah, that's probably another consideration that we forgot...as soon as they release for the NA market, they are going to be swarmed with 2020- vehicle requests for the charge port upgrade. They will likely want to get that capability at least somewhat queued up before wide release of the adapter.

Reactions: Genie and Rocky_H
Not being able to adequately provide support has not stopped them from offering other products, including the vehicle itself. If you know of a way to get "support" for your car, Powerwall, wall connector, solar panels other than an e-mail that is likely not monitored or a kludgy app-based system where you are intentionally routed through a barely working messaging system, let me know!

Ok, you've got me on that one.

• Funny
Reactions: RTPEV
Probably for the same reason they don't just offer it for sale directly in North America. I suspect they cannot support the anticipated volumes at this point, and started to run into constraints in South Korea with all the North Americans ordering them.
Much as I would like a CCS adapter since, on rare occasions, it would be convenient, I, personally don't blame Tesla for not "supporting" a charging 'network' which works as poorly as the various disjointed and unreliable CCS networks out there. Imagine how much money they'll have to pay to tow cars that get to a remote CCS, low on charge, and find the EA/Chargepoint/EVgo, etc station non-responsive. Nobody likes it when they ask for support and get pushed toward somebody else. The way it is today, nobody can claim Tesla has any responsibility for supporting CCS. in the US