Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Tesla has made it clear for a long time that superchargers are not a profit center.
Just like FSD will be available by end of 2020?

6 SuperCharger price increases here in past 18 months. Some folks have demonstrated that gas at $4/gal for similar trips is now the same as Tesla charging costs and faster trip time. Earnings have 10% minimum profit goal for SuperChargers now.

And Tesla opening up SuperChargers to other EV's further demonstrates they want the $$. We were misled or lied to. Take your pick on which word better fits.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I wouldn't expect Tesla to pay for towing if an EA station wasn't working.....
You and I wouldn't but there are a lot of self-entitled customers out there who will undoubtedly bellyache, should it happen to them.
Just look at all of the grousing they already get/have received: Phantom braking, bad weather performance, tire wear, panel gaps, less alcantara, charge taper, heater/cold weather impact on range, impact of high speed on range, no quaint vegan bistros at Supercharger sites in remote areas, etc.

We were misled or lied to. Take your pick on which word better fits.
Nonsense. Orrrr...stay with me here...
They had said something several years ago which was how things were several years ago. Time is a thing that goes by, and the way things are now isn't like things were back then, so that statement from several years ago doesn't apply now, several years later.

Nonsense. Orrrr...stay with me here...
They had said something several years ago which was how things were several years ago. Time is a thing that goes by, and the way things are now isn't like things were back then, so that statement from several years ago doesn't apply now, several years later.
When the leader of a company makes a bold statement with never in it, I have every right to expect them to follow through.

So assuming time changes things as you say, when your Tesla battery that is warranted for 125K miles but fails at 101k miles and Tesla says times are different so its out of warranty, let me know you feel.

Reactions: ph0ton
When the leader of a company makes a bold statement with never in it, I have every right to expect them to follow through.

So assuming time changes things as you say, when your Tesla battery that is warranted for 125K miles but fails at 101k miles and Tesla says times are different so its out of warranty, let me know you feel.
You do know the difference between a "bold statement" and a warranty, right?

Reactions: TunaBug
Huh. All right, I'll take my lumps on this one. I had posted a response to you asking for a citation for the word "never", because I didn't remember ever seeing that and thought they were all simply present tense statements, like "isn't a profit center". I didn't think they would have been that careless to say "never". But I did some searching and found it:

“We occasionally adjust rates to reflect current local electricity and usage. The overriding principle is that Supercharging will always remain significantly cheaper than gasoline, as we only aim to recover a portion of our costs while setting up a fair system for everyone. This will never be a profit center for Tesla.”

I think it is pretty clear that the Model 3 was engineered when CCS was well established and Tesla was a member of the industry group responsible for defining it. The fact that the European Model 3 has a native CCS inlet means to me that all Model 3 vehicles should have the electronics in place to use the CCS protocol. It would be grossly incompetent for Tesla to do otherwise. This means that the US Model 3 should only require a passive adapter and the proper firmware to charge from a CCS charging station.
As others wrote nobody knows, but I think it is likely with the increasing number of CCS chargers (not just Electrify America, but EVGo, Greenlot, Chargepoint and everbody else is putting CCS dispensers on their DC chargers now). It's the DC equivalent to J1772 after all, for which we have an adapter. The only potential stumbling block is that it's not necessarily clear that the US Model 3 could use a passive CCS adapter without a hardware modification.
Mine says “CCS adapter support: Not installed. It would be nice if they had a “kit” discount to add this to my ‘21 M3LR.

“We occasionally adjust rates to reflect current local electricity and usage. The overriding principle is that Supercharging will always remain significantly cheaper than gasoline, as we only aim to recover a portion of our costs while setting up a fair system for everyone. This will never be a profit center for Tesla.”
I have heard a LOT about how power companies have been changing commercial rates on EV charging companies (crazy demand charges). I have also been to several Tesla sites that have been vandalized (Oakhurst had ALL the cables cut off the chargers before I got there). And have you seen ALL the Supercharger construction going on? Just because they are not able to stay that far ahead of gasoline doesn't mean they are profit centers.

I have heard a LOT about how power companies have been changing commercial rates on EV charging companies (crazy demand charges). I have also been to several Tesla sites that have been vandalized (Oakhurst had ALL the cables cut off the chargers before I got there). And have you seen ALL the Supercharger construction going on? Just because they are not able to stay that far ahead of gasoline doesn't mean they are profit centers.
Yep addressed this in another thread:

If you do some basic math you can see running a quick charge network with lots of empty stalls is a huge money loser. 10% gross margin target per site hardly pays enough for all the expansion going on (not to mention the previous stations), it simply won't be sustainable without car sales subsidizing the stations.
Expecting 0% gross margin (if that is your definition of nonprofit) is simply untenable, as that means the supercharger network infrastructure is all on the backs of the car sales and will never have a chance to break even.

Non profit in the context it was mentioned (in past and current) simply meant to me that if the supercharger was an independent unit, it would break even considering all costs (including the installation infrastructure costs). I have yet to see anything that suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: israndy
Mine says “CCS adapter support: Not installed. It would be nice if they had a “kit” discount to add this to my ‘21 M3LR.
You're in luck. No "kit" required for this year. Recently upgraded a friend's 2021 M3LR August build. Replace old chargeport ecu with new gen 4 version (part number with ccs support), reflash while in service mode, then car was up and charging on ccs in about 20 minutes.

Non profit in the context it was mentioned (in past and current) simply meant to me that if the supercharger was an independent unit, it would break even considering all costs (including the installation infrastructure costs). I have yet to see anything that suggests otherwise.
I would read it slightly different. I don’t think he is saying it is non-profit, break even, etc. What he is saying is that it will never be a profit center. A profit center is a portion of a business that is expected to contribute towards the overall profit of a business. Without looking at the financial statements I suspect the profit centers for Tesla are vehicles, The Boring Company and Battery Energy Storage. One example is parts for Tesla vehicles which is probably not a profit center and is likely rolled up under vehicles and I imagine supercharging is as well. It doesn’t mean it isn’t profitable or that it’s profitably doesn’t change over time just that it isn’t expected to make major contributions towards the profit and they won’t make it a separate business unit/group.

Much as I would like a CCS adapter since, on rare occasions, it would be convenient, I, personally don't blame Tesla for not "supporting" a charging 'network' which works as poorly as the various disjointed and unreliable CCS networks out there. Imagine how much money they'll have to pay to tow cars that get to a remote CCS, low on charge, and find the EA/Chargepoint/EVgo, etc station non-responsive. Nobody likes it when they ask for support and get pushed toward somebody else. The way it is today, nobody can claim Tesla has any responsibility for supporting CCS. in the US
One could argue Tesla should not get involved with the CCS networks due to their quality issues. But if they are going to put CCS support in their charge controller, make a CCS adapter, and say almost a year ago that it will be available soon in the USA, then that means they do intend to support helping their customers charge at CCS stations, and they should get on about it.

Speculation is that Tesla will eventually and officially provide such a solution. In fact, it's already possible unofficially, and the official solution for a 2021 Model 3 is likely to be similar or identical to the unofficial solution available today. See this very long thread for information on this unofficial solution. In brief, for a 2021, you'll have to replace the charge port ECU, which Tesla sells for $140, the caveat being that many service centers are reluctant to sell the part.

Much of the thread I've cited covers the more complex task of doing the upgrade on older cars, which require some extra fiddling, in the form of an adapter cable so that the older ("Gen3") charge port design works correctly with the new ("Gen4") ECU. For a 2021 without CCS support, though, your car almost certainly has a stripped-down Gen4 ECU, so swapping that out with a non-lobotomized Gen4 ECU and doing a software re-install is all that should be required -- except of course for obtaining a CCS1 adapter.

The first post in that thread has been kept up-to-date, so you can read that and perhaps the last couple pages of the thread to get a good idea of what the upgrade entails. The thread has been closed because it was drifting too far into discussions of how to buy the "bundle of wires" and other things that were being sold by thread participants.

Of course, if you don't want to do this upgrade yourself, you can wait until Tesla releases something official. I have no idea how long you'll have to wait, though.

Speculation is that Tesla will eventually and officially provide such a solution. In fact, it's already possible unofficially, and the official solution for a 2021 Model 3 is likely to be similar or identical to the unofficial solution available today. See this very long thread for information on this unofficial solution. In brief, for a 2021, you'll have to replace the charge port ECU, which Tesla sells for $140, the caveat being that many service centers are reluctant to sell the part.

Much of the thread I've cited covers the more complex task of doing the upgrade on older cars, which require some extra fiddling, in the form of an adapter cable so that the older ("Gen3") charge port design works correctly with the new ("Gen4") ECU. For a 2021 without CCS support, though, your car almost certainly has a stripped-down Gen4 ECU, so swapping that out with a non-lobotomized Gen4 ECU and doing a software re-install is all that should be required -- except of course for obtaining a CCS1 adapter.

The first post in that thread has been kept up-to-date, so you can read that and perhaps the last couple pages of the thread to get a good idea of what the upgrade entails. The thread has been closed because it was drifting too far into discussions of how to buy the "bundle of wires" and other things that were being sold by thread participants.

Of course, if you don't want to do this upgrade yourself, you can wait until Tesla releases something official. I have no idea how long you'll have to wait, though.
Maybe someone will ask Elon about North America CCS1 adapter availability at the next earnings call.

Nope. Tesla has made it clear for a long time that superchargers are not a profit center.

Well, it's not for profit, but it is to expand the whole network, they just reinvest in more supercharger stations. These things are awfully expensive to build out, so while i don't think they want to make money on us in the long run, they still have to make it pay for itself, and expand it takes money.