Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone here order a CCS adapter from this site? TESLA OEM CCS1 Charging Adapter

curious if they actually sell an authentic Tesla adapter

On the face of it, the website looks good. At a little over $400, the (lowered) price is acceptable, I guess. (But if they are buying from Tesla for, say $250, that is a stiff markup.) At least one of the "testimonials sounds like it was written by someone with an English surname for whom English is not their native language. Oooo-kayyyy... No problem.

But as you say, the question becomes, are these genuine (and not stolen)? Is this a legitimate business, or is someone who looks like Vin Diesel working out of the back of a rental truck with mysteriously acquired merchandise)? How did they get enough to meet what I assume will be a moderate demand (if Tesla clamped down on sales from Korea to North America)? Is Pegatron missing a semi-trailer truck, by chance?

Raises more questions (for me), and hence warning flags. I suggest proceeding with caution on any new (non-Harumio) options until we know more.

Still safest (and probably cheapest) to wait for Tesla, I guess?

(Full disclosure: I already have mine [from Harumio], so I can sit back and afford to be cautiously objective. For those who missed out on early sales from Korea and actually need and will benefit from a CCS1 adapter, this is a mildly anxious time.)

I've got a CCS1 Adapter for YOU!!!

Last edited:
Well if this had popped up around 3 weeks ago, I'd have been able to run over there and check one out, since I also have the official Tesla adapter and would know what one looks and feels like.

But what the heck. Their "contact us" page has an Ala Moana address, but the photo on that same page isn't even of anywhere near Ala Moana, or even anywhere on Oʻahu. It is an image of the Makena area on Maui, made very obvious by the view of the cinder cones and forest of the southwest rift zone of Haleakalā up the hill.

View attachment 840715
The address is Ward Centre. Interesting. I’m 1.5 miles away. I’ll have to check it out.

Some online sleuthing does not appear to show an obvious storefront at the Ward Center that would sell Tesla accessories:

Maybe they are operating out of one of the non-food establishments; Crazy Shirts, Taj Clubhouse.

I think it’s important to mention that Harumio seems to have managed a way to copy A2Z’s adapter. When I look at A2Z EV SHOP instagram page, they started advertising their adapter the 7th of July of this year. I don’t think it’s logic we support an overseas company over a an North American company. Some of you are going to say too bad, they needed to make a patent for this not to happen. I know you’re right. But Harumio knows what about electronics? They know what about Tesla’s? Are we waiting until we get some crap adapters on the market that could hurt our children, our wives or husbands? This is catastrophic. They have no video whatsoever, no pictures, no testings. NOTHING.

This is getting out of hands for the sake of what? Having more options or cheaper rates? I’m not sacrificing the reliability of my car or safety of my fellow Tesla owners for some adapter without any prior testings or background.
Harumio helped us with OFFICIAL Tesla adapters and I was one of their customers. They got it from Tesla SK, the real company. They are selling mangas, Kpop and Kdrama things nothing else.

I may need a Snicker lol but we aren’t driving old 99 Toyota Corollas with aftermarket xenons. Can we stop supporting any company that has no background and no real life testings on their products.

When the day a Tesla is going to burn because we bought an adapter that haven’t been tested we’re all going to regret it. I like Harumio they helped us with the OEM thing but that’s it. I will support any other company that brings to us tested and safe products. Not just A2Z.

Attachments

• CF7E1B3F-C99F-43FB-A31F-E11A9FE35E75.jpeg
    CF7E1B3F-C99F-43FB-A31F-E11A9FE35E75.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Disagree
Reactions: brainhouston
I think it’s important to mention that Harumio seems to have managed a way to copy A2Z’s adapter. When I look at A2Z EV SHOP instagram page, they started advertising their adapter the 7th of July of this year. I don’t think it’s logic we support an overseas company over a an North American company. Some of you are going to say too bad, they needed to make a patent for this not to happen. I know you’re right. But Harumio knows what about electronics? They know what about Tesla’s? Are we waiting until we get some crap adapters on the market that could hurt our children, our wives or husbands? This is catastrophic. They have no video whatsoever, no pictures, no testings. NOTHING.

This is getting out of hands for the sake of what? Having more options or cheaper rates? I’m not sacrificing the reliability of my car or safety of my fellow Tesla owners for some adapter without any prior testings or background.
Harumio helped us with OFFICIAL Tesla adapters and I was one of their customers. They got it from Tesla SK, the real company. They are selling mangas, Kpop and Kdrama things nothing else.

I may need a Snicker lol but we aren’t driving old 99 Toyota Corollas with aftermarket xenons. Can we stop supporting any company that has no background and no real life testings on their products.

When the day a Tesla is going to burn because we bought an adapter that haven’t been tested we’re all going to regret it. I like Harumio they helped us with the OEM thing but that’s it. I will support any other company that brings to us tested and safe products. Not just A2Z.

Tesla is creating this issue by not releasing a CCS adapter in North America. I get that there are supply chain issues, but transparency from Tesla would go a long way here. Even opening the adapter for preorders to ship next year would probably prevent a bunch of people from going off and buying these knockoffs.

Tesla is creating this issue by not releasing a CCS adapter in North America. I get that there are supply chain issues, but transparency from Tesla would go a long way here. Even opening the adapter for preorders to ship next year would probably prevent a bunch of people from going off and buying these knockoffs.
Why? Because anyone believes what Elon Musk says about release dates?

In addition to the situation with FSD, there's also the Cybertruck that has been promised and pushed back and pushed back and pushed back...

Yeah, sadly, Tesla is not great on transparency or keeping ship dates.

If they said it was not until next year I think it would *cause* myself and a lot of others to buy aftermarket units, not prevent it.

If they said it was October and I believed them I might wait. In that event the aftermarket suppliers would also plan to not sell so many after it comes out. Or drop the price. Harumio is selling for what, $230 including DHL? So they are sourcing them (perhaps from the same guys A2Z sourced from) for perhaps $140 or less. This unit is not the same as the Ukrainian one. I mean all of them are going to look almost the same, any difference in fine detail is going to be a different manufacturing run.

I predict Tesla unit will be $200, aftermarkets will need to be $150 and probably will. Which moves into the "why not get it?" for many drivers. I highly recommend the adapter for anybody who road trips, it is well worth it even the $400 the CdM one cost.

If they said it was not until next year I think it would *cause* myself and a lot of others to buy aftermarket units, not prevent it.

If they said it was October and I believed them I might wait. In that event the aftermarket suppliers would also plan to not sell so many after it comes out. Or drop the price. Harumio is selling for what, $230 including DHL? So they are sourcing them (perhaps from the same guys A2Z sourced from) for perhaps $140 or less. This unit is not the same as the Ukrainian one. I mean all of them are going to look almost the same, any difference in fine detail is going to be a different manufacturing run.

I predict Tesla unit will be $200, aftermarkets will need to be $150 and probably will. Which moves into the "why not get it?" for many drivers. I highly recommend the adapter for anybody who road trips, it is well worth it even the $400 the CdM one cost.
I have came to the conclusion that A2Z and Harumio dont have the same specs. Same design yes, but not the same specs. Otherwise A2Z would have dropped the price already. Harumio advertised at first 150A and then simply removed the amperage from the specs. A2Z has IP55 and Harumio IP44. I’m 100% positive it’s not the same specs. Harumio has no testings, no videos, nothing. I think it’s simply a copy of the other company. Its in the basics of business to drop prices if you see a competitor with the same product to match that price. They haven’t and I know they are aware of what Harumio sells. Also after sending emails to Harumio, they have no stock whatsoever only samples they sent to testers but they have nothing in inventory.

Attachments

• 29BCAF54-D04D-4DF8-9619-09D1EF16ECE3.jpeg
    29BCAF54-D04D-4DF8-9619-09D1EF16ECE3.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 69
but transparency from Tesla would go a long way here.
Why? Because anyone believes what Elon Musk says about release dates?
These three comments together form an entire conversation on this topic. Tesla IS being pretty transparent here. By just announcing that it will be coming at some point in the future, but NOT announcing a date, that is MUCH better than they have done before. Because if they did announce a date, they would probably miss it. So by not specifying, that keeps it accurate and doesn't falsely get people's hopes up to then disappoint them when the schedule gets missed. No data is better than bad data.

These three comments together form an entire conversation on this topic. Tesla IS being pretty transparent here. By just announcing that it will be coming at some point in the future, but NOT announcing a date, that is MUCH better than they have done before. Because if they did announce a date, they would probably miss it. So by not specifying, that keeps it accurate and doesn't falsely get people's hopes up to then disappoint them when the schedule gets missed. No data is better than bad data.
They should really put up or shut up about FSD. Given that they can't put up and have shown no signs that they are even close, the best option is for them to just shut up.

Reactions: DrGriz and Rocky_H
Uh, A2Zs adapter looks to be a knock-off of the EVHUB one
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "knock-off." If you examine photos carefully, you can see that there are some differences. The EVHUB product has a latch that extends above the main body, whereas the A2Z's design is not like this; the A2Z's main body is taller. Also, the J1772 portion of the CCS connector is flush in the A2Z design, whereas the center portion extends out from the edges in the EVHUB design. Without tearing one apart or putting it through a series of X-rays or some other imaging tool, there's no way to judge how the internals are built. I'd expect them to be similar in layout, but maybe with some subtle differences; they're basically connecting equivalent pins on the two connectors, so there's not much room for creativity on wiring layout.

Thus, I don't think that A2Z simply took the EVHUB design and exactly copied it. That said, they do look broadly similar to each other -- but it's a pretty obvious way to design such an adapter, if you don't want to include a latch lock like the one in Tesla's adapter. It's not the only way to do so, to be sure; Tesla went with a more triangular overall shape, for instance, apparently to match the CCS1 plugs that Electrify America uses.

So A2Z’s adapter can reach more than 150kW according to this post on Instagram and even more than 300A on a Model S. This is quite impressive. I’m speechless.

So the specs they put on their website are more like theoretical numbers right? Like the Tesla’s OEM adapter..?

View attachment 841631
Wow

I just got mine today. Can’t wait to try the 2nd version since I had the prototype before.
Will post some pictures as soon as I try it.
175 kw and 457 A are amazing numbers.
What kind of charging station is this, never seen it before???

So A2Z’s adapter can reach more than 150kW according to this post on Instagram and even more than 300A on a Model S. This is quite impressive. I’m speechless.

So the specs they put on their website are more like theoretical numbers right? Like the Tesla’s OEM adapter..?

View attachment 841631
That's why above I suggested the minutes should be specified in the rating. A connector rated for x amount of current typically can pass through significantly higher amounts of current for short periods of time, but wouldn't be able to sustain it.

If the cable itself has active cooling, it sometimes would help too (removes any heat the adapter might generate).

That's why above I suggested the minutes should be specified in the rating. A connector rated for x amount of current typically can pass through significantly higher amounts of current for short periods of time, but wouldn't be able to sustain it.

If the cable itself has active cooling, it sometimes would help too (removes any heat the adapter might generate).
Yes. I will send them a message to make that recommendations, haven’t thought about it.