Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So A2Z’s adapter can reach more than 150kW according to this post on Instagram and even more than 300A on a Model S. This is quite impressive. I’m speechless.

So the specs they put on their website are more like theoretical numbers right? Like the Tesla’s OEM adapter..?

View attachment 841631
The adapter is passive, the car has no idea what the capabilities of the adapter is. You could theoretically string together some paper clips between a CCS port and the TPC, and the car will attempt to pull the max current. There would likely be some impressive sparks in such a case.

The adapter is passive, the car has no idea what the capabilities of the adapter is. You could theoretically string together some paper clips between a CCS port and the TPC, and the car will attempt to pull the max current. There would likely be some impressive sparks in such a case.
Right, which is kind of worrisome when the adapter makers just seem to slap whatever rating they want on it, but have no way to tell the car to turn things down.

Reactions: TunaBug
Right, which is kind of worrisome when the adapter makers just seem to slap whatever rating they want on it, but have no way to tell the car to turn things down.
This seems to me like the real problem. It not much different from a guy who wires a 14-50 receptacle with 18-gauge wire and a 100 amp breaker and brags that it's all good because the house hasn't burned down yet.

Has anybody done a teardown on the adapters? Are they really 100% stupid? Or is there a chip/circuit in there to identify to identify the capabilities to the car and/or charger? Similar to how there's a tiny bit of electronics in the adapters for the mobile connector so that the MC knows the voltage/current of the adapter and the temperature at the receptacle?

Has anybody done a teardown on the adapters? Are they really 100% stupid?
Someone did unscrew the two halves of the EVHUB adapter, and yes it's purely passive. I presume all the same "two haves can be unscrewed" adapters can be checked (and ... are gonna all be purely passive). I also presume the Tesla official one is pure passive, but I've not seen any reports of someone taking it apart to check. Would be kinda expensive to do so.

This seems to me like the real problem. It not much different from a guy who wires a 14-50 receptacle with 18-gauge wire and a 100 amp breaker and brags that it's all good because the house hasn't burned down yet.

Has anybody done a teardown on the adapters? Are they really 100% stupid? Or is there a chip/circuit in there to identify to identify the capabilities to the car and/or charger? Similar to how there's a tiny bit of electronics in the adapters for the mobile connector so that the MC knows the voltage/current of the adapter and the temperature at the receptacle?
Yes, the adapters are passive. People have tested the official Tesla one by using a digital multimeter to test the resistance between pins. The only ones that are not passive are the Setec adapters that emulate CHAdeMO. A few of the aftermarket adapters supposedly have thermal protection that cuts the power if they get too hot, but we haven't yet seen details about that. I assume that most likely they have a built-in circuit breaker that flips if it gets too hot.

The address is Ward Centre. Interesting. I’m 1.5 miles away. I’ll have to check it out.

Keep us updated once you check it out!

Some online sleuthing does not appear to show an obvious storefront at the Ward Center that would sell Tesla accessories:

Maybe they are operating out of one of the non-food establishments; Crazy Shirts, Taj Clubhouse.

Any additional information about that source in Hawaii of Tesla-like CCS1 adapters?

PS -- My car (no name) and "Lulu" its dashboard guardian say that they miss the Islands and also, why are they stuck in the increasingly damp extreme heat of California's Central Valley (when they both were originally from Hawaii)?

Lulu

Reactions: OahuJC
I have came to the conclusion that A2Z and Harumio dont have the same specs. Same design yes, but not the same specs. Otherwise A2Z would have dropped the price already. Harumio advertised at first 150A and then simply removed the amperage from the specs. A2Z has IP55 and Harumio IP44. I’m 100% positive it’s not the same specs. Harumio has no testings, no videos, nothing. I think it’s simply a copy of the other company. Its in the basics of business to drop prices if you see a competitor with the same product to match that price. They haven’t and I know they are aware of what Harumio sells. Also after sending emails to Harumio, they have no stock whatsoever only samples they sent to testers but they have nothing in inventory.
What is ip55 and ip44

Yes, the adapters are passive. People have tested the official Tesla one by using a digital multimeter to test the resistance between pins. The only ones that are not passive are the Setec adapters that emulate CHAdeMO. A few of the aftermarket adapters supposedly have thermal protection that cuts the power if they get too hot, but we haven't yet seen details about that. I assume that most likely they have a built-in circuit breaker that flips if it gets too hot.
I think the A2Z one advertises that, but I'm skeptical if there actually is something inside the adapter itself, vs what the car already has (it has a port temp sensor). This is because in the line afterwards it claims it has a "anti-theft lock" when that feature actually is part of the Tesla port and connector itself.

I think the A2Z one advertises that, but I'm skeptical if there actually is something inside the adapter itself, vs what the car already has (it has a port temp sensor). This is because in the line afterwards it claims it has a "anti-theft lock" when that feature actually is part of the Tesla port and connector itself.
Indeed it’s the vehicle that locks the adapter, but the adapter needs a hole or an indentation if I can call it like that for it to lock. It’s not locked through suction. If you look at their pictures it has a hole in the part that goes into the car. That allows the locking.

Indeed it’s the vehicle that locks the adapter, but the adapter needs a hole or an indentation if I can call it like that for it to lock. It’s not locked through suction. If you look at their pictures it has a hole in the part that goes into the car. That allows the locking.
But that part is naturally part of the TPC itself, unless they modify the design to make it non-standard, it would naturally have that. So it could be exactly the same thing for the thermal sensor.
They are however advertising it as if it is something they added themselves.